Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Is it worth buying a new MY14...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

^ plus 1

The design is now outdated and no normal person can really tell the difference between any of them HSE or otherwise. The new design will be different, it will suddenly as said above look old fashioned and outdated fuel efficiency and technology wise (look at Apple car player and who is using that now while LR try to make their own system). If money's no object go for it, if not and you want to be part of the future then wait a bit, the Disco is going to be the most outdated of the LR fleet very soon Wink but that doesn't worry me I love it, I want a family bus, not a limo, but I certainly won't be buying another new one of this version Thumbs Up

Post #125367415th Mar 2014 9:24 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 lost in translation!  
Post #125377416th Mar 2014 12:23 am
110CSW

United Kingdom 

I feel that the answer very much depends on where you are in your replacement cycle.

If my Discovery had been four years old or less then I would have waited until c2017 for a new one but mine was eight so I bought a new one. So far I have been well impressed - less roll, more power and a wonderful gearbox. Even though it is clearly the same bodyshell in profile, the MY14 front end/rear lights are sufficiently different.

There is still nothing else on the market which does for me what a Discovery does. I'm looking forward to the full refresh but for the next three years or so, this will be a great place to sit.

Post #125398316th Mar 2014 6:02 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

12 months ownership of the latest version will, imho, depreciate more than the brand new model.

24 months even more so

12 months ownership of the first D5s will probably lose very little indeed. If I could put a deposit down now for one of those and be near the top of the queue, I would.
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #125401216th Mar 2014 7:12 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

Agree with everything you say. Have ordered a new one myself.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #125402216th Mar 2014 7:31 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

If I could afford it I would Thumbs Up

I think it looks better than the previous 4's 8)
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #125404316th Mar 2014 7:58 pm
David W

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I've only once bought the same vehicle twice, and that was a Vauxhall Cavalier SRi. I did like the car but after a while with the second one I wished I hadn't.

I had a Jaguar XFS before the Discovery and that was a truly magnificent car but eventually I wanted a change and chose the Discovery.

After reading the replies i have gone for a MY14 and then changed my mind again! Although it is a vehicle that I truly like, I believe that I would regret buying another one virtually the same.

So, based on my nature, and not wishing to regret buying 'the same' I think I will start saving my pennies for a new model, whenever that may be!

Thanks to all.

Post #125436417th Mar 2014 4:59 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm about to get a new MY14. It will be my 3rd Disco in a row. First was in 2006.

I do know what you mean and "a change is as good as a rest" etc., but I just can't find anything else that does the same as well.

Also, there's a reaonable chance that the new D5 will not be to my liking. In which case I'll hang on to the MY14 for as long as possible.

Last edited by LT on 17th Mar 2014 5:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #125437217th Mar 2014 5:15 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

After a brief bout of madness when I was a gnats dick away from ordering a Defender, I've decided to keep my MY10 for another few years - the MY14 not different enough to justify changing IMO (slightly more powerfull engine and another gear (or 2 - can't remember)

Post #125437317th Mar 2014 5:15 pm
Discotres

I think the problem will be when the D5 comes out it will be so state of the art, brand new car that it will suddenly make all the old ones look very old, it doesn't matter what year you have as to the normal public they all look exactly the same, a box, don't get me wrong I love my box but it's had its day, you can only go on kidding people with little tweaks for so long and get them to part with large sums of money before they get wise, the time has come to be wise.

BUT if you have the money then go for it, personal choice Thumbs Up and another BUT, you will then be driving an old historic classic that will suddenly look so outdated, if you can live with that why not, me, I'm all for keeping up with technology, I want Apple car player in mine, not LR bodged own brand pay a fortune for update maps nonsense and low res screens when iPads have been out for donkey's years and kids want choice and independence, thankfully those archaic days have long gone Thumbs Up

I've even become so wise I haven't bothered with an iPhone 5S upgrade for a 5 because they are all at it, I could get a 5S tomorrow but I'm waiting for the stunning full width 6 Thumbs Up I've got a gorgeous V8 110 as a toy, may keep the D3 as well when I get the 5 Very Happy

Post #125439917th Mar 2014 6:19 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

changing a car for change sake seems a little mad...ignoring there are changes and improvements every year, so I cant see the point to discount one for the other.

The thing that strikes me with the comments about waiting for the next gen version...its going to be a long wait, you will at least have 2 or 3 years (a whole warranty wait).

I would hope the design moves it forward (they all should) it doesn't mean it will be to everyone's liking or cost (which will likely increase).

And after all that, the hit will be just as big on older cars as newer ones...actually there is an argument there to keep changing regularly.
 Mike  
Post #125440217th Mar 2014 6:26 pm
Discotres

Perhaps in hindsight I should have gone for a D4 a couple of years ago as they look great, what put me off was the pony interior, I wanted a family bus, I can't go for a D4 now because if I did I couldn't afford the D5 as no doubt that will have a hefty premium, just hope it's not too pony inside as well, and they make one for the common man Laughing

Post #125441517th Mar 2014 6:38 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Apple car player Shocked I've never even activated the voice control in my HSE's Laughing

I can work bluetooth though Very Happy

My favourite exterior and even interior was my 2006 D3 HSE. Perfect halfway house between Defender & FFRR.

Newer models have become too plush and blingy for my taste. However, there's still nothing out there that can fully compete with it. So I just put up with it. I cover up the boot with a hatchbag liner and LR flexible load mat. In the second row I cover the central carpet area with tape and on the weekends I chuck some big old floor mats in the front and rear.

I think I might get some canvas seat covers for the new one.

My next new Land Rover might well be a top model Defender replacement, I have a feeling the D5 might not be to my liking. Time will tell.

Post #125444417th Mar 2014 7:24 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Quote:
I've never even activated the voice control in my HSE's Laughing

You should, great fun Thumbs Up

Switched on when kids got fractious and kept them entertained and amused no end.

Not so good now as my MY12 is pretty good, works as it should so no entertainment value whatsoever Evil or Very Mad
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #125445117th Mar 2014 7:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >