simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
Excuse you!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

titter titter...

Post #29223826th Apr 2008 9:47 pm
denny crane

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

ooooh! Takes me back to when I worked in badges and graphics....

Yes, you spray the window with a solution of water and soap to give a film to move the graphic around on, then you "squeegee" the solution out to get the adhesive to stick to the glass/syubstrate.
Its even how we did the Shuttle trains.

On this subject and a little OT, did anyone see BBC's Traffic Cops this week? with the copper who hates range rovers and the RRS stopped for having the front side windows tinted in a dark tint?

Post #29235127th Apr 2008 9:46 am
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear about the faults. I would say get a different dealer, worked for me Mr. Green

As far as Window tinting, I can if needed get a full reply from Ben who has been doing this for years. "His" dealers include Subaru (UK HQ), Bentley, Porsche and Land Rover so he does know what he is doing.

The film is applied with a water spray after cleaning, and cleaning again, the window inside and out. The water is used to activate the adhesive. Excess moisture is sqeezed out and the very small amount of water remaining is absorbed by the film. It breathes slightly until the adhesive sets. The rear window heater is designed to clear steamed up windows - which is esentially nothing more that water vapour, once applied the film actually protects the element from direct exposure so reduces risk !!

Ben has seen plent of cars where poor application, use of craft knives to trim film on the windows and removal and re-fitting due to bodged application has caused the problem you are experiencing. It can be taken off very easily if you know how Whistle
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...." 

Last edited by 90BHP on 28th Apr 2008 7:06 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #29287628th Apr 2008 7:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

denny crane wrote:
On this subject and a little OT, did anyone see BBC's Traffic Cops this week? with the copper who hates range rovers and the RRS stopped for having the front side windows tinted in a dark tint?

Yep, easier to put your window down and give him the fuse. Go to a tinter and ask them to remove. Never take it off a back window yourself Whistle
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #29288128th Apr 2008 7:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
warrior22

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

[quote="90BHP"]
denny crane wrote:

Yeah , saw that too!
Thing is, he did have a point - tinted front glass that dark IS dangerous and the reason it was made illegal is because a mother and her baby daughter were killed by some fukwit pulling out of a junction cos' he didn't see them through his 'I look really cool, don't I, even though you can't actually see me' tinted front glass!
As a motorcyclist also, that particular type of accident really p****s me off, because it really is 'without due care and attention'. Some numbnuts did it to me some years ago. Though, if you are a good rider you kind of become clairvoyant on the road, and I just knew he was about to do it so I stopped right next to him at the junction as he pulled out looking the other way. He jumped out of his skin when he turned his dopey head my way!

I've got tinted glass on all rear windows and I had it fitted beacuse it helps to keep the sun out of the childrens faces. It does look cool too! 8) Thumbs Up
 Don't be paranoid.........'They' don't like it!!!!!!!
Currently: Land Rover
Previously: Other Land Rovers 

Post #29319829th Apr 2008 10:54 am
YeehawTwistyArms

United Kingdom 

I went for the Custom fit OE Sunshades, (I know there not that cheap now) still less than tinting though.
They look like tints and you can easily remove them and re-use on your next D3, they cover all the rear windows.

Have some pics of them in my gallery.

Post #29320229th Apr 2008 11:02 am
munkeemummee

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The news from my dealer re the tinting was that they are typically seeing the issue arising after two to three years.... plenty of time for their liability to be over on second hand cars... In my case the tinting on the rear window had to be re-done as it bubbled and wasnt fitted correctly (you could see daylight along one of the edges). They think that the "excess" water caused the issue - from having it re-applied in a short space of time. They also stated that they are trying to avoid ALL retro fitted tinting now.

Two weeks on and several phone calls (messages) this week I have still not had a reply from them.

The engineer suggested that LR actually make a rear tinted glass - when you buy one typically the tinting is dealer fitted after the event.. presumably this is because it is cheaper. I am hoping that they are correct and that my car can have the new window put in.

The issue is so bad that it does require a new rear window. It has ruined the element completely.

I would recommend not having tinting fitted.

My current situation is that if LR do not have a pre-tinted rear window then all of the tinting will need to be removed and they will need to give me a full refund for the cost of the tinting (plus replace the rear window).
I think this may be why they have not called me Laughing

Post #2948452nd May 2008 7:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >