Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Are my intermittent wipers broken?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Are my intermittent wipers broken?

Just bought the D3 and driven it tonight for the first time... the intermittent wipers dont seem to work that well, wiped twice in about five minutes then not all all, played around with the interval timer on the stalk but no apparent difference. Is it that I've got rain sensing? There's a big chunk in between the srceen and the rearview mirror and I think the sensor hides there?

I assumed that if on intermittent and it rained harder then the sensor stepped up to faster wipe or even continuous?

At present they dont wipe at all! It began drizzling but nothing much changed.

Post #70526018th Oct 2010 10:32 pm
flinty99

England 

What model and year of D3 do you have Nick?

If you have rain sensing wipers then the wiper stalk needs to be in the one up position. If the stalk is right at the bottom the wipers are off, one up is the rain sensing, two up permanent low speed, three up permanent high speed.

If indeed you do have rain sensing wipers then your correct the wipe gets faster the more water hits the front screen. Also, the interval timer as you call it controls the rear wiper speed, not the front.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #70527218th Oct 2010 10:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NickJ

2005 in S trim. I dont know if rain sensing was standard as S is quite low Question Big Cry but it was specified with extras when bought new by the original owner so I'm learning what it has!

There was a fair bit of droplets on the screen but no wipers operating on the --- stalk setting, I would have hoped for a wipe or two to clear it!

Post #70527818th Oct 2010 10:52 pm
flinty99

England 

With an S spec I would suspect you have intermittent wipes and not rain sensing. In which case the one-up would be intermittent wipe and the interval timer would indeed control the intermittent wipe time on the front wipers.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #70528618th Oct 2010 11:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The 2005MY S had optional rain sensors ...they became standard on 2006MY S models Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #70528818th Oct 2010 11:11 pm
bp

United Kingdom 

My S doesn’t have rain sensors think one up is intermittent wipe and adjust speed on the stalk timer thing pull arm forward for rear wiper intermittent i think hope that helped hard to explain Confused
 Don’t worry it is supposed to sound like that...honest  
Post #70529018th Oct 2010 11:13 pm
NickJ

I think what I'll do on the weekend is have a pretend shower with the hose pipe and see what happens. If I have rain sensing is there any way of disabling it so I can tell the car when I think it's raining? Wink

The timer definately doesn't work like I'd expect it to

Post #70563319th Oct 2010 8:32 pm
dsd1036

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

hi,

i have an "S" and i definately has rain sensing!
Unless my sensor is knackered it sometimes drives me mad,as it wipes with little rain,to a point where a split every now and then,but it still drags my poor blades across a dry screen Big Cry

I more i read somewhere on here you can disable it by removing a fuse but the same fuse also disables something else, so i didn't bother,but if anyone has answers for improved rain sensor control i'd love to hear about it!

rgds
DSD Thumbs Up

Post #70574120th Oct 2010 6:30 am
dgarside

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I've got my car going in tomorrow for the same problem. I've got a MY09 58 plate SE and from all previous cars I presumed the rotating (+ / -) adjustor on the stalk was for the rain sensing, sensitivity. I drove a D4 a few weeks ago and the same adjustor did control the front wiper sensitivity.

Are you 100% sure flinty99 that this controls the rear wiper only ??? (I'll check later today)... anybody else confirm before I take my car tomorrow for the replacement parts fitting (under warranty).

Cheers,

Darren.

Post #70641421st Oct 2010 12:22 pm
Tomcat 106

United Kingdom 

dgarside

I have 05 MY SE with rain sensing and with the wiper stalk in intermittent the sensitivity is adjusted not the time interval. Works quite well really but I have found that if a fly happens to die in front of the sensor it wipes the remains all over the screen Laughing

Post #70645621st Oct 2010 1:24 pm
dgarside

Cheers, I was almost sure it would be, especially after driving the D4, but just wanted to be sure...

Hopefully it'll start working tomorrow... Smile

Darren.

Post #70645721st Oct 2010 1:26 pm
NickJ

Tomcat 106,

If the control does sensitivity and not time delay then is down (anti-clockwise) more sensitive than clockwise? Mine seems to have the same sensitivity no matter where it is (i.e. none Wink )

Post #70646121st Oct 2010 1:37 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Tomcat 106 wrote:
dgarside

I have 05 MY SE with rain sensing and with the wiper stalk in intermittent the sensitivity is adjusted not the time interval. Works quite well really but I have found that if a fly happens to die in front of the sensor it wipes the remains all over the screen Laughing

This has been discussed many times before. I am certain that you will find that on a D3 with rain sensors, the up and down twist dial does not change the sensitivity of the rain sensor in any way, at least not in the early ones anyway. It does the following two things:

1) Adjusts the intermittent time delay for the rear wiper if it is turned on (I have proved this by standing watching it with a stopwatch)
2) If you twist it upwards one click and the front wipers are in auto (rain sensing) mode the wipers will do one instant wipe (this is why you might think that you have increased the sensitivity because when you turn the dial you get a wipe) but it doesn’t actually change the sensitivity at all. Rotating it downwards doesn’t do anything at all (unless the rear wiper is on whereby you decrease the time interval of the rear intermittent). The dial is a way of getting an extra wipe at the front when the switch is in auto (rain sensing) mode.

I have a feeling that it was always intended to work as you describe (as in many other vehicles), but am certain that it doesn't in the D3. I even think that the handbook says something about it adjusting the sensitivity, which is incorrect and not the only time that there is something in the D3 handbook that is completely incorrect (handbook was probably finished well before product development was actually finished).

If you don't believe me test it out. Get your hosepipe to spray a very fine mist on the screen with the dial in the bottom position, then in one go turn it all the way to the top so you should have gone from one extreme to the other of the sensitivity, keep the hose spraying at the same rate and position on the screen and I guarantee you won’t see any difference in the wiping pattern wherever the rotating dial is positioned.

You can tell that it perplexed and infuriated me for a long time so I was determined to find out what the dial actually does!

Post #70653921st Oct 2010 4:32 pm
Comanche

Wales 

I had a problem with the intermittent wipe on my non sensor model, they would only come on continuously.
Quick change of the stalk switch, 5 screws, one plug and job done good as new. part was around £40
 I started off with nothing and Ive still got most of it left.  
Post #70654321st Oct 2010 4:50 pm
dgarside

I've got the Disco in tomorrow for the stalk replacing, so we'll see if that has any effect. I'll let you know...

Darren.

Post #70655121st Oct 2010 5:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >