DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Intermittent System Fault/Special Programs Not available
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LMS1978

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Intermittent System Fault/Special Programs Not available

Hi All,
New to forum. So please be gentle. Own a Disco 3 2008 TDV6 Auto and have an very intermittent fault coming up on starting up. Dash shows System Fault. Special programs Not available. Alongside this I have noticed twice in the last week the rear suspension was sat low after been left overnight. This is very intermittent also.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers in advance.

Post #199232416th Oct 2018 8:22 pm
Sea Raider

Hi

Would be better to get the codes read to pinpoint whats going on.
You may have more than one fault

Special programmes switched off could be a multitude of things from the cheap

Brake light switch
ABS sensor on one of the wheels
dodgy wiring
duff battery

etc etc

Someone on here may be local to you and read your codes for you

Good luck

Post #199232816th Oct 2018 8:33 pm
jetmech

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Special programs off after start is probably a weak battery. Ours does it a lot, but not if I have recently charged the battery. I bought a new battery yesterday, ready for the cold weather, so hopefully I won’t see that message after start up for some time, once I’ve fitted it.
The suspension is probably a different issue.

Simon.
 Simon.
2008MY Dicovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual 

Post #199233316th Oct 2018 8:45 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

As JetMech states you need a new battery or start charging your current one more frequently. They are failed comms checks. As the car tries to start it doesn’t get through all its checks that it does, hence flashes up saying special programs off. The messages it comes up with are the last in its check list.

Again suspension sounds separate to this, probably a leak somewhere, eventually it may take the air compressor out as it will need to work harder. Could try measuring where it sits after shut down and it’s re adjusted itself. Then take the same measurements in the am and see where it is dropping
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #199234916th Oct 2018 10:14 pm
LMS1978

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for this. New battery on order and will give the rear a spray and see if any obvious air leaks. That is the odd one. Only done twice in 3 months. Car had been left for longer periods with no issues.
My 90 300 TDI was not this temperamental ! But I suppose that did use to freeze on the inside and smelt of wet dog !

Post #199236816th Oct 2018 11:49 pm
von Horst

Sweden 

Mr Kington wrote:
As JetMech states you need a new battery or start charging your current one more frequently. They are failed comms checks. As the car tries to start it doesn’t get through all its checks that it does, hence flashes up saying special programs off. The messages it comes up with are the last in its check list.

Again suspension sounds separate to this, probably a leak somewhere, eventually it may take the air compressor out as it will need to work harder. Could try measuring where it sits after shut down and it’s re adjusted itself. Then take the same measurements in the am and see where it is dropping

Old thread I know! but still!...I just bought a new battery to brace myself from the coming cold, last night we had a staggering minus 23-24, freezing! this message came up! the car was hardly responding, I stopped switched off the engine and started again, this time the car was Ok, message gone and it drove perfectly! its a new battery, 10 days old but I suppose with the above extreme cold anything can go wrong??

Last edited by von Horst on 6th Jan 2024 4:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23578966th Jan 2024 4:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TD59

United Kingdom 

If you are losing height overnight on any corner I would strongly suggest you have an air bag/spring leak. I would recommend disconnecting the battery and leaving the vehicle for a day or two. This will prevent the system from wakening and trying to reset adjust the height. You'll soon know if you have a leak. Just check pipes to, before condemning the air bag. If the car detects air suspension faults it wiill immediately turn off special programs.

Post #23578986th Jan 2024 4:39 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

……….
Old thread I know! but still!...I just bought a new battery to brace myself from the coming cold, last night we had a staggering minus 23-24, freezing! this message came up! the car was hardly responding, I stopped switched off the engine and started again, this time the car was Ok, message gone and it drove perfectly! its a new battery, 10 days old but I suppose with the above extreme cold anything can go wrong??[/quote]

Quite normal in such conditions if battery is not fully charged, new batteries are not always fully charged particularly if they’ve been on a shelf for a while.
In such conditions the ECU detects the battery is not fully charged and shuts down any none essential items to put maximum power to the starter motor, once the engine has started and is up to temperature switch off and restart and everything thing will be working.
In these conditions an AGM battery is superior particularly on short journeys, get a smart battery charger and top up charging every two weeks or so.
The suspension self levels when stationary, if you park on a down hill slope or with one rear wheel higher than the other the rear suspension will lower automatically, you may hear it fart when it does so Laughing

P.S. best to fill your profile in so that we know what model vehicle you have Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #23579036th Jan 2024 5:34 pm
von Horst

Sweden 

Thanks a lot for your help! appreciate it very much!!

Post #23579146th Jan 2024 8:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pknagg

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Lots of lights after starting from cold

Here is a weird one. I had an intermittent issue on cold start - car (2007 TDV6 286K miles) would stall and then give me check engine, HDC, Special programs off, transmission fault and more and it was'nt even Christmas.

I could then re start the car but still had the F on the message centre and be in limp mode.

If I then left the car to warm up and then restarted it the faults would disappear.

Fault eventually traced to a bad fuel filter. Replaced the filter with a original equipment one and the car is now fine! Don't ignore water in fuel messages is all I can say !

Post #236026929th Jan 2024 11:40 am
von Horst

Sweden 

Yeah it seems to me that this message comes up with even the slightest issue and considering there is almost always some sort of an issue with an older car and an LR, well, well!!

Post #236029429th Jan 2024 4:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >