DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Intermittent Brake Failure at Low Speeds
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Timbo79

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4
Intermittent Brake Failure at Low Speeds

Hi All,

Would be most grateful if anyone here could shed some light on the brake problems I'm having with my 64 plate HSE Lux.

At low speeds (under 20mph) and often when approaching a junction, I'll put my foot on the brake to stop and it feels like the ABS is kicking in. At the same time I can hear a very nasty what sounds like metal on metal scraping noise coming from the front. Whilst this is happening the car barely slows down. I can feel through the brake pedal that it's trying to brake, just not successfully. Then after a few attempts it seems to work correctly and brings me to a stop. I almost rear ended someone the first time this happened.

It started back in Dec time. It was due in for a service anyway so went into my local LR garage. I told them about the issue and they said they would check it. My front brakes were about 80% worn and discs lipped so I had them changed. It was fine afterwards so assumed the new brakes had done the trick, that's until last last week when it started happening again. I have it booked in for next week, but it happens so infrequently that I know it's unlikely to happen on a test drive. It's also ever only happened within the first 20 minutes of leaving home.

I've never had a problem at higher speeds or when the car has warmed up, at least not yet anyway!

Needless to say, when the brakes fail in this car or any car it's quite a worry! I'm trying to avoid driving it right now.

Has anyone here had a similar issue? Or perhaps know what it could be?

Thanks!
Tim

Post #19122278th Feb 2018 12:36 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It could be a stone stuck in the pads, it could be the pads are worn out, only the near side(left from drivers seat) has a sensor to put the warning light on.
Look at the brake discs when cold and look for scouring (a distinct line gouged around the disc face) that will point to the problem.
It's almost a certainty your pads are worn out and it should not be driven in that state, take it back to whoever fitted the pads as there is an underlying problem, may need a new caliper on that side if it is sticking Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #19122348th Feb 2018 1:01 pm
Timbo79

Thanks! I don't think it can be the pads as I only had the front discs/pads changed in Dec, and I've only done around 1000 miles since. The rear discs/pads were changed a few months earlier too. Would a stuck stone not make quite a bit of noise all of the time? I'll take a look for any signs of scouring on the discs. Cheers!

Post #19122668th Feb 2018 2:02 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Are there any warning light coming on or flashing when the noise occurs, such as ABS, DSC etc etc?

Post #19124048th Feb 2018 6:18 pm
Timbo79

To be honest whenever it's happened I've been too busy looking at whatever was in front to notice any lights on the dash, so they may have come on, but they definitely didn't stay on if they did. No current warnings.

Post #19124518th Feb 2018 7:24 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I just wonder if a wheel speed sensor is giving duff info and the DSC/ABS ibelieves the wheel is stationary (slipping) and thus activating the ABS and reducing braking to get it to revolve.

Post #19124588th Feb 2018 7:31 pm
Skynet

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Perhaps tested on a rolling road?
 Dave
D3 2006 HSE, Cairns Blue - gone
D4 2016 SE, White

Wessex 4x4 Response
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk/ 

Post #19124608th Feb 2018 7:33 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Are you sure it's not over zealous braking and the ABS is actually doing its job, you are stopping nearly 3 tons, spot of ice maybe?
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #19125048th Feb 2018 9:16 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

My first thoughts were do not drive the car until you have fixed it Shocked

This is off a truck, the other three pads had approx 80 percent lining left, all due to a partially seizing brake calliper slider acting like a one way ratchet, the calliper moved lovely and smooth one way but jammed going the other way.
Never discount anything when it comes to brakes.

Post #19125218th Feb 2018 9:43 pm
Timbo79

Thanks for your replies everyone. It's not over zealous braking and it hasn't been icy when it's happened. Although it feels like the ABS is activating through the pedal, the nasty sound it makes is more like metal on metal scraping or something similar. I tested the ABS during the last snow fall and it sounded nothing like this.

I've only done just over 1000 miles since the front pads/discs were changed and they don't look worn at all. I just had a closer look at the discs and the front drivers side does have a single scour mark, probably less than 1mm deep. See pic (if it uploads).

Maybe this was caused by a stone? But since it's happened a few times I'm not sure if this is stone related, unless these wheels/discs are prone to stones getting in? But then I would assume there would be more scour marks and not just the one? Plus it happened before I had my discs changed, and now again one month later, which should rule out a stuck stone.

There's also another odd problem that rears it's head sometimes when I'm leaving home. As I leave home I have a fairly steep road to drive down. Sometimes when I first apply the brakes I feel what can only be described as a clunk with the feedback coming through the pedal. It's almost like something isn't quite aligned but it quickly sorts itself out. Again, this is very infrequent but I'm suspecting it could be related.

It's going into Listers Land Rover in Hereford on Tuesday. Although since I mentioned this when I had the brakes changed there last time and they didn't find anything, I'm not going to hold my breath. Still, I'm not going to take the car back until the cause is found and resolved. Annoyingly there is no courtesy car available unless I wait a week longer, luckily I work from home so can manage without for a few days.

Since this is the fourth issue I've had with it in 8 months of ownership, so far my Disco experience has not been the best Smile Definitely glad that I have the extended the warranty!

Post #19127599th Feb 2018 1:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >