dickgriff wrote:
I still have not seen any knockers Sad
try the RRS side, you might see some. Rolling Eyes  
Post #1269913rd Feb 2007 6:11 am
marshn

England 

dickgriff wrote:
I still have not seen any knockers Sad

I prefer knockers to be 2x2. 4x4 is just freaky.

Post #1270013rd Feb 2007 9:37 am
zetecr

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I like stirring things up a bit, so here goes... [dons fireproof suit]

I hear often that man's contribution to the overall CO2 cycle is small compared to the whole and therefore it can't be held responsible for the changes. The way I figure it, like any dynamic and self-contained system, the Earth's climate and ecosystems are in a finely balanced equilibrium. When you add even the tiniest weight to one side of the balance, the equilibrium point shifts. How much it shifts will depend on the nature of the system, and we don't know even a fraction of all the contributing factors that participate on either side of the balance.

What I've gathered to be scientific concensus through reports in the media:
1. Climate seems to be changing far more rapidily than is "normal" for Earth, as suggested by geological records.
2. The acceleration of warming coincide with the beginning of human industrial activity, main emission of which is CO2.
3. The evidence seems to be mounting and they point futher and further to the worst-case scenario.

Given this, as part of the global community, we car enthusiasts could do a lot better than to bury our heads in the sand and pretend this is all a conspiracy. We should be actively researching and advocating the most practical ways to reconcile our passion with the pressing need for change in the way we live. The alternative approach will only result in further and further alienation from the mainstream and eventually, as far fetched as it may seem now, I predict the day will come within my lifetime when cars and the internal combustion engine will cease to have mainstream support. (As passionate car nuts, I think we tend to underestimate the indifference of the general public. Success of Toyota is the only evidence needed to prove this. These people will happily buy hybrid, then later electric "cars" of the future - Does anyone here support an electric Disco?)

Please, help me in my quest to be driving a Hydrogen powered Discovery 10 V8 HSE in my retirement.

Post #1270393rd Feb 2007 12:00 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

zetecr wrote:
1. Climate seems to be changing far more rapidily than is "normal" for Earth, as suggested by geological records.

As a geologist this is bolldocks! Climates have changed extremely rapidly both ways in the past, e.g. current thinking on start of iceages is that U only need a few summers where snow cover in NW USA/Canada does not melt and an iceage can be triggered. Climates have been a lot hotter than now, and in the last interglacial stage temps were 2degC hotter than now (using O & C isotope records as proxies). Also when we lost the last iceage the planet cooled dramatically again, called the Younger Drias Cooling Event. Climates have changed a hellova lot faster than we are seeing now. Remember a model is not proof, it often shows what the modeler wants! I just wish the media would learn the difference between weather & climate and stop bleating on when temperatures are above average. By definition 50% of the time the temperatures will be above average!

Don't believe all U hear in the media, most of it is carp. Esp the British media that have taken this on as a holy crusade, if U are a non believer U should be stoned!

Post #1270413rd Feb 2007 12:16 pm
catweasel

I think you better lay off that cider there Derek Ali Razz

Post #1270553rd Feb 2007 1:35 pm
DiscoStu

England 

zetecr wrote:
Please, help me in my quest to be driving a Hydrogen powered Discovery 10 V8 HSE in my retirement.

As has been mentioned above, the most harmful 'gas' released (at least in Europe) is water vapour. Having followed a hydrogen powered bus last summer, I can assure you hydrogen power is not the way to go.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #1270563rd Feb 2007 1:38 pm
catweasel

if you must know, the extra heat is being generated by all that hot air greenpiss is letting out with amounts contributed also by the usual minority groups. ban greenpiss.

Post #1270573rd Feb 2007 1:40 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

catweasel wrote:
if you must know, the extra heat is being generated by all that hot air greenpiss is letting out with amounts contributed also by the usual minority groups. ban greenpiss.

How do you know. How can you assume such things with out any proof to back it up ?

I'll have you know that there are land drains under EVERY FECKING field in the country... nay the WORLD !

This water vapour poop is total rubbish.

Oh...... wrong argument. Sorry had a flash back as that statement from CW was sooo opinionated and there was no proof behind it.

Post #1270733rd Feb 2007 4:35 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

He must have been wrong Clearly! Wink
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1270833rd Feb 2007 4:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zetecr

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
zetecr wrote:

As a geologist this is bolldocks! Climates have changed extremely rapidly both ways in the past, .... I just wish the media would learn the difference between weather & climate and stop bleating on when temperatures are above average. By definition 50% of the time the temperatures will be above average!

Don't believe all U hear in the media, most of it is carp. Esp the British media that have taken this on as a holy crusade, if U are a non believer U should be stoned!

I'm not a geologist, but as a professional engineer, I know enough about the scientific method to be able to distinguish between media hype (eg here in australia, the current bad draught has been responsible for a great deal of misguided reporting linking it to global warming) and scientific consensus.

As a geologist, you might comment on the report released in the last few days by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change? Are the scientists involved all wrong and/or is this part of a grand conspiracy? Or perhaps you would say we are being too sensitive to a few degrees and few metres of sea level change - in which case how do you know the changes will not "runaway" catastrophically?

And can you tell me a period where climate has changed "hell of a lot faster than it is now"? I heard past changes of similar magnitude were over thousands of years, not a hundred or even decades as it is being projected now?

Post #1272053rd Feb 2007 10:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >