DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Integrated Car Phone Kit for Nokia Series Phone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
joemcb1

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Integrated Car Phone Kit for Nokia Series Phone

Dear All,

My New D3 TDV6 HSE (07) has an integrated car phone kit. It only seems to support old model phones. I have a Nokia N73 series mobile phone and was wondering if anyone knows if and when there will be a cradle available to support it. I can use the Bluetooth facility but realy want the car kit to support my phone.

Thank you and regards to all, Joe Razz
 Lead, Follow or get out of the way!
07 D3 TDV6 HSE Java Ebony DVD Reflection. So relaxing its like being a passener behind the wheel Java Black 

Post #13998417th Mar 2007 9:09 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hAVE AN e61 AND A n93, neither of which have LR kits available. They seem to be a couple of years behind with no urgency to upgrade!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #14017317th Mar 2007 10:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
joemcb1

Bodsy,

I have emailed Land Rover asking them to contact me on Monday via phone. This way I can hopefully get somewhere with this. Mobile phones change so quickly and I use mine for business based on its features so I am not prepared to take a back step. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

As an aside, what are "Tasmods, Mantec front plate" I picked my D3 TDV6 HSE Java, DVD, Side Runners, Bling Kit up on 12th March but I dont know what Tasmods, Mantec front plate are ? I averaged 30.9 MPG for the first 680 miles, what are you getting.. Regards Joe Java Black
07 D3 TDV6 HSE Java Ebony DVD Reflection. So relaxing its like being a passener behind the wheel Java Black 

Post #14022818th Mar 2007 8:20 am
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

There are some threads about this subject, if you do a search. Some, I believe have dual sims so they can leave an old phone in the car and switch between the two. I would be surprised if LR bring out cradles and software to support new phones in the near future.....or at all!

Tasmods....alternative to the LR sill tread plates...if you do a search on here..you'll see some photos...

Mantec....under body protection plate...again have a search and you'll see some photos...

30.9mpg!!....wow...are you pushing it?

Post #14023118th Mar 2007 9:02 am
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

LR are not going to be making any new cradles for phones.....what they are doing is improving the Bluetooth spec to allow transfer of phonebook......going to be standard for 08 model year PTI but I hope it will be a software upgrade and therefore retro-available .....doubt it though! Evil or Very Mad

why not just store your numbers in the cars voice dial memory......thats what I do and it gets round the problem (I use a Blackberry 8100)
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #14023218th Mar 2007 9:08 am
joemcb1

Thanks for the feeback, I will see what they have to say on Mnday although I suspect that you are right in that they will not support new models. I have no issue with Bluetooth as long as they can support the contacts list as I sync it with my company DB and Outlook and have several hundred numbers. My real issue is that as I spend many hours in the car (Smiling all the way now its a D3) and having to have the fag lighter charger just seems a little naff.. its not a cheap car and I expect it to support my phone. Maybe they could contract it out to Brodit or one of the other car kit outfits..

Anyway thanks again, Joe Thumbs Up

Post #14024018th Mar 2007 10:06 am
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Bluetooth is great but it has four drawbacks besides the address book issue; 1) you can't take advantage of the external roof aerial, 2) the signal bouncing around in the car fries your brain, and your children's brains 3) the phone battery runs down, 4) in the Disco, the Bluetooth 'grabs' the call if you are talking while walking to the car, leaving the other person talking to the car's interior! What is needed to solve all these problems is a hybrid solution which uses Bluetooth for all of the phone functions but with a plug connection for the aerial and power. And to kill the bluetooth when the ignition key is withdrawn.

My Porsche Boxster has a little drawer for inserting a SIM card, turning the whole car into a phone (albeit an expensive one!). By copying all my more important numbers onto the SIM card, they are immediately accessible in the car and can be uploaded into the carphone's memory. In my opinion this is much better than Bluetooth, though slightly less convenient.

I use a 'one number' additional SIM from orange which works very well in that all I have to do is turn off my normal phone and the car phone immediately takes over. In the Disco, I have a Nokia 6030i in the cradle and I put the second SIM card in that. Unfortunately, you can't have more than one 'clone' SIM apparently, so I'm working on a way around this which will avoid having to remember to swap SIM's when I swap cars.

noizeman

Post #14026218th Mar 2007 12:11 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What would be the perfect solution would be if the new PTI kit supported remote sim mode like newer Nokia car kits. Then the full benefit would be made of bluetooth, and the external antenna.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #14026518th Mar 2007 12:30 pm
afp001

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As discussed in aprevious thread, my solution to this annoying problem.
I am with Vodafone. If you are a business customer, you can have 2 phones on 1 account. I cant remember the exact figures, but it goes something like this. You pay 30 quid for the first phone and 300 minutes. Then you pay 15 quid for the second line. Both phones dip into the pool of minutes. The number of inclusive minutes can be increased to suit your need. In my situation, I was constantly using all my inclusive minutes on my 6280, and yet I was rolling over hundreds of unsued minutes on the 6230.
I have a Nokia 6230 which lives in the cradle. I also have a Nokia 6280 which I use as a normal mobile. I then divert calls to the car phone and get a seamless phone setup for my customers to reach me. One down side is that I need to remember to cancel the divert when I leave the car. It's not a perfect solution but it works. However, the day that the 6230 packs up I will be in the crap. I need the connection to the external antenna because I live in a poor signal area. I did an experiment where I drove the same route and made the same call. On Bluetooth the call dropped out. When connected to the cradle, I had almost a full signal all the way.

Cheers, Alan
 TDV6 SE auto, Java / Alpacca
2010 Mini Cooper S Conv. Pepper White, Blue roof
2010 Jaguar XJ, Caviar with Cashew seats, B&W 1200W Hifi 

Post #14029318th Mar 2007 2:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
afp001

By the way, Does anyone know if the incoming ring can be put through the speakers? I'm sure the answer is no but it's worth a try. The ring, even at full volume when the phone is locked in the cradle is so quiet.

Post #14029418th Mar 2007 2:56 pm
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I thought that when the phone rang, the radio muted and the ring comes out of the speaker....
My hearing isn't too good, and if it just rang through the phone speaker, I'd never hear it in the cradle....

Post #14033518th Mar 2007 7:13 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Confused Whenever my phone rings I always hear it via the car speakers whether it is connected via bluetooth or the cradle (Nokia 6230). When it is connected via bluetooth I do occasionally hear the phone start to ring before the ringing tone is transferred to the car's speakers.
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #14034118th Mar 2007 7:55 pm
afp001

Now that is interesting. I'm quite sure the ring only comes from the phone. I too am a bit mutt which is why I raised the point. As for the audio muting, that's great if I'm listening to it. I always leave the audio unit on aux if I want some peace and quiet.

Post #14034718th Mar 2007 8:15 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, my phone in the cradle rings through the speakers as well. Have a 6230i in the cradle.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #14037818th Mar 2007 9:19 pm
afp001

I think my problem relates to the quality of the connections at the base of the phone. I recently had to clean the contacts because I could not make or recieve calls. Some 600 grit wet or dry and some form of Alcohol should do it.

Post #14038518th Mar 2007 9:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >