Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Inspecting rear arches and sills for rust - '05 TDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kayble

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Inspecting rear arches and sills for rust - '05 TDV6

I've just done a job on my early '05 car, to take rear wheel well covers off and inspect for rust - repairing whatever is found.

Having done both sides of the car, the pictures are for the offside, which was the worst of the two. Here's what I found:

looking in to wheel well, this is toward the front of the well:
Click image to enlarge

The rear of the well, so looking toward the back of the car:
Click image to enlarge

Another view of the same:
Click image to enlarge

I would recommend others take the time to remove their wheel well covers and inspect/repair - i caught mine, and was able to fix without issue. used a wire wheel to remove all surface rust, then kurusted all bare metal, followed by zinc primer, then satin black:

The front of the wheel well, afer this pic, I also went up the arch and scrubbed (this time with a hand brush) to get all the loose rust out before treatment (couldn't get the wheel in safely):

Click image to enlarge

Towards the rear:
Click image to enlarge

Used a bungee to keep the filler pipes away from the wheel. Another view of the rear:
Click image to enlarge

After the coats of primer and satin black:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In 2017, not too long after I purchased the car, I took the sill covers off to inpsect the sills for corrision. I tihnk prior to my ownership, my car was used to two horses boxes in Scotland, so there was a tonne of mud and horse pooh under the covers. Having scrubbed and coated the sills in por15 (rather than using a wire wheel and kurusting them) I wanted to go back and inspect them again. Was pleased to see the sills are still looking very good:

Click image to enlarge

Camera flash makes the surface look worse than it actually is - its down to a combination of POR-15 and stone chip + primer, rather than rattle can spray, making the finished surface look uneven (doesn't matter too much as it's under the sill cover):

Click image to enlarge

I decided to scrub the rear end of each sill back to metal then kurust/zinc prime/ satin black instead:
Click image to enlarge

Nothing to write home about - metal is all solid - but is showing it's previous years of having been soaked in mud and horse excrament.

The refinished article with a final couple of Java black and laquer coats:

Click image to enlarge

With the paint dry enough, I went up and down both sills with Bilt Hamber Dynax from a BIG can with a wand - which makes application quite simple with the number of service covers that are on the sill section:

Click image to enlarge

I'll give it all a good rub down and polish soon. Sad thing is I now very much want an RRS s/c; does anyone want to p/x there's for my Disco plus some cash?!

Post #20351368th Mar 2019 11:47 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up Good post, nice work Wink

Post #20351378th Mar 2019 11:54 pm
trailhound

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Promised to do this in the summer. Great pics Thumbs Up

Post #20352479th Mar 2019 12:49 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mine was beginning to go in exactly the same places. Caught it just in time. Another 12 months, and it would have been a different story...

Though I got a little carried away treating mine Laughing

My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #20352529th Mar 2019 1:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kayble

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Blimey!

If you ever get a cheap RRS supercharged through the door, let me know - I have an itch to scratch and a 2.7 TDV6 disco 3 to change out.

Post #203586511th Mar 2019 11:04 am
Hillfoot

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Fantastic post and is something I will be doing in the better weather. My garage is a bit cold at this time of the year!!

Post #203587311th Mar 2019 11:56 am
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nice post!

Just bought my Disco two months ago. I knew that it had some corrosion at those spots, but when the paint shop removed the plastic trim things were not looking good...

Had to buy new sills from Brit Parts, and the shop had to make new bits for the wheel wells Sad
Hopefully I'll get the car back by Wednesday after what seems like an age. Not looking forward to receiving the bill Big Cry

Post #225076811th Sep 2021 7:32 pm
oldskoolskater

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What did the bill come to in the end?

Post #226881523rd Dec 2021 9:57 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

We use always a rust converter after cleaning it to bare metal, but before applying primers/paint…

Cleaning to bare metal is still not deep enough most of the time we experienced (since blasting is mostly not done on body panels still attached to a still runing motor most of the time)

I am not affiliated to this company or what so ever, bit we use this brand…

https://fertan.com/product/derusting/rustconverter

I know it is available in the UK…
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #226884924th Dec 2021 12:06 am
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

oldskoolskater wrote:
What did the bill come to in the end?

Bill ended up at £2500/25000 NOK. And then the VAT on top of that, so £3100 thank you very much Big Cry Plus approx £200 for the sills themselves from Britpart. At my first visit to the body shop they quoted approx £1000-1200. And evidently that was without VAT, which is standard procedure for proffesional customers, but not for regular blokes like me. Suffice to say I was a bit shocked to receive the final bill Shocked

Post #226885924th Dec 2021 2:31 am
Joek0

Ireland 

Would rust in these places be picked up on the MOT ?

Post #22710135th Jan 2022 11:08 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

For the most part no, as most of the rust in the above posts is hidden behind either the plastic sill covers, the wheel arch inner protectors, Rolling Eyes or outer trims.

If you want to know how much metal is still attached to your rust you need to remove the trims.

I had a friend in yesterday for a pre NCT check when asked the same question. I said "do you want to take a look, it wont take long to get the plastics off since the wheels are already off anyway?

When I removed all the trims and mud flaps (which fell off) he said. "I feel like I'm Dorian Grey looking at my own portrait after 100 years" Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

It was a pitiful sight as the rust had eaten through the tops of the rear wheel arches, with literally only the paint skin left in the area below the rear passenger door shuts! The outer sills were worse, as they disintegrated into a pile of "Dorian Grey" dust on my workshop floor.

So the moral of the story is, don't ignore what you can't see!! Get in there and examine it carefully as in the above posts. If ignored and there's a problem you could end up rendering the car to scrap when it could so easily have been saved. Unfortunately this is now the case for my friend, as the repairs and other maintenance needs far outweigh the residual value left in the car.

I would point out though this is an extreme example, and usually these issues are easily resolved without major cost provided it has not been ignored. The key is to check it and arrest any corrosion before it gets hold. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22710336th Jan 2022 3:41 am
Joek0

Ireland 

Im yet to buy one im still looking for a good one and I'm yet to shift my audi. But I'm doing as much research as I can before I take the plunge.
Is there anywhere else to look out for rust.?

I see you say NCT, are you in Ireland by any chance.?

Post #22711976th Jan 2022 7:43 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The worst areas are very often those that are hidden as per the above. Beyond that the chassis from the wheel arch back to behind the bumper cover. And, where the drive shafts pass through the chassis can rot if not kept an eye on. Underside of the boot floor from the rear bumper to just forward of the rear wheel arch.

Try and find a city owned car D,C,L, or WD, etc as it's less likely to have been exposed to corrosive rural elements, or to have had much off road use if at all.

Though this never a guarantee of same, and with a decent diagnostic tool the total of off road hours logged can be checked! Thumbs Up

Search on here for a thread entitled "rusty boot floor" for an example of a worst case scenario, though not the absolute worst. Laughing
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22712106th Jan 2022 10:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >