Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Only in America!!!! - Toyota recall for floormats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Only in America!!!! - Toyota recall for floormats

When I read this today, I nearly fell off my chair!! Are people that dumb that they cannot just adjust the mat, or possibly hit the brakes!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8281981.stm

It is a shame that a tragedy ensued, and no doubt the lawyers will have a field day......
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #52734930th Sep 2009 8:36 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

If somebody was able to call and say the accelerator was stuck, surely there was enough time to turn off the ignition and stop the car. Or put it in neutral and stop the car Confused , the poor guy was a policeman so should have been well trained in driving.

I presume that even with push button start you can still trun off the engine.

Post #52735530th Sep 2009 8:54 am
slipware

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

This is an interesting one. Many years ago, I borrowed my dads VW Polo, and he had loose mats in the footwell. More than one I may add! I was going along, and one or more of the mats had stuck somewhere under the brake, and I couldn't use the brake pedal, more than that, it had also stuck the accelerator down! No idea how it had happened, but luckily wasn't going fast,, and stopped with the handbrake! Moral of this story, don't borrow an oldies car! Rolling with laughter
 If you never try, you'll never know...  
Post #52736130th Sep 2009 9:00 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

ISTR that if mats are provided by the manufacturer they have to be secured to prevent movement under con & use regs in the UK. Strange that they don't have similar regs in the good ole US of ....I would have thought that common sense.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #52736230th Sep 2009 9:01 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mate of mine bouight a Porsche (he'd always wanted one, so when he had enough pennies he treated himself) To say he was dissapointed with the performance was an understatement, when my 2.0L Merc could out accelerate him, he was a tad cheesed off.

I offered to swap cars for a test run & absolutely caned him in his car. He couldn't understand how he could have been such a bad driver to not get the same performance out of his car before.

Until I showed him where I'd moved the floor mat back out of the way as it was stopping the accelerator pedal from going down.... I've never seen anyone so Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed before Laughing
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #52738030th Sep 2009 9:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ThatMartinChap

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I once test drove an alfa 156 V6 and the throttle stuck open (perhaps I pressed it too hard Whistle ) and I must admit that the loss of control was kind of frightening. However, it did not take too much to hit the brakes and then kill the engine when almost at a stop (remember killing the engine at speed means no power steering).

The highlight was the sales rep's response... "oh they do that sometimes" Rolling with laughter

For some reason that I can't rightly remember I did a second testdrive in a different demonstrator. That one made a loud graunching noise whenever turning left. I promptly brought a BMW.
 Also Gone : MY14 D4 SDV6 HSE : Barolo Black + Almond
Sadly Gone : MY08 D3 TDV6 HSE : Stornoway + Alpaca + Privacy + BAS Remap 

Post #52738130th Sep 2009 9:16 am
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The D3 is designed so that you can apply the handbrake in an emergency. It will then apply maximum braking to the car without locking up. It's a great safety feature and can easily be operated from the passenger side. I was in the passenger side doing the Level 1 LRE course and the instructor demonstrated it for us, really cleaver. I think it's the most useful thing about the EPB.

Even if you can hit the brake, why can't you stick the car in Neutral and apply the hand brake? Although in the US they call that hand brake the emergency brake, so you would have thought it might have come to mind being that it would be considered an emergency.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #52740030th Sep 2009 9:44 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
....I would have thought that common sense.
And there you have it in a nuthell; there's no money to be made from common sense.
It used to be that natural selection was by survival of the fittest, but now that money is more important than food, litigation has encouraged the population to switch over to survival of the thickest.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #52742130th Sep 2009 10:15 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

No I meant common sense of the manufacturer ...if they provide a driver mat it should be secure Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #52742630th Sep 2009 10:27 am
stapldm

true Thumbs Up But my mini-rant about customer stupidity still applies Whistle
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Post #52744630th Sep 2009 11:13 am
Mike40

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I always remember the kids dropping an unopened can of Coke in the back of my BMW years ago. We were on the motorway in heavy traffic and I braked and the can rolled under my seat and I felt it hit my foot as I braked. As I lifted off the brake it rolled under the pedal jamming it. The Traffic decided to stop suddenly at this point and I had no brakes. I stamped down on the brake pedal as hard as I could and the can exploded in the footwell spraying Coke everywhere. The sudden loss of the can under the brake pedal meant that the pedal went down hard and fortunately the ABS cut in as we stopped dead in the middle lane of the motorway from 60mph. I was impressed just how quick it stopped, however the following traffic wasn't and was swerving in all directions and I could see plumes of tyre smoke in my mirrors. I floored the BMW and got away quick from the impending tailending...... Shocked

It took months to clean that Coke out from the interior of the car.... 8)
 ------------------------------
"Ruby" Rimini Red
Rimini Red 06MY TDV6 S
Xenons, Bright Pack, Climate Pack,
BAS Magic Box and Remap
ITG Air Filter
ERG's Blanked (Woody32)
Huge Permagrin

Suzuki GSX1400, Triumph Daytona 1200, Yamaha RD500LC, Norton 850 Commando, MV Agusta 1090 Brutale, Honda Hornet 900, Honda 600 Tansalp, Matchless 750, AJS 650CSR......plus very understanding wife! 

Post #52747830th Sep 2009 12:09 pm
HA7225

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

IIRC, this is down to an someone in America getting the footmat from their "ess yoo vee" stuck round the pedals and having a rather nasty crash. Seeing how this is the same nation that brought us the warnings about not using Cruise Control as a substitute for an actual driver after someone totaled their campervan after switching on the Cruise Control and Censored off into the back to do something else, it doesn't surprise me at all that Toyota are playing it safe and issuing a recall.

Post #52758830th Sep 2009 4:13 pm
foofighter

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

gotta love our sue happy society it does suck sometimes
 -Greetz, Duan  
Post #5308537th Oct 2009 6:05 am
DiscoStu

England 

Didn't this happen with the Ford Explorer a few years back (over here + the USA)?

I think with the accelerator stuck down and the car moving, the brakes couldn't stop the car.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #5308867th Oct 2009 8:32 am
stapldm

It did indeed, and didn't they also have that cruise control issue where it could be engaged by electrical noise but not disengaged by the brake or controls 'cos the controller 'knew' it hadn't been engaged? I seem to remember some press about some people being told by Ford that their mat had jammed the pedals so it wasn't Ford's fault, but they didn't have mats fitted.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #5308997th Oct 2009 8:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >