DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Implications of blanking EGR on a 07 model LR3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Annabelle wrote:
EGRs what use are they!!?

Exhaust Gas Recirculation , re-uses the exhaust gasses to give cleaner emissions.

Post #59441931st Jan 2010 10:35 pm
Annabelle

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Wink I know, was kind of being ironic because if all they do is get carbonned up and most people seem to be blanking them anyway with no problem, why are they there?

Post #59442331st Jan 2010 10:38 pm
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Embarassed ah Government Thing Laughing

Post #59442531st Jan 2010 10:40 pm
riverglebe

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just to update on my EGR problem. I removed the RHS EGR courtesy of disco_mikey's guide and the valve was stuck open. Rear stud is a real Censored but if you persist and are prepared to lose a few bits of skin from your hands it can be removed. Very Happy On taking the valve apart I found that the valve motor was siezed. I found traces of moisture around it also, maybe the cold weather is encouraging this. Closed valve and reinstalled it to confirm that was my problem. Power was back again but my mpg, while improved, still wasn't as good as should be and I was still getting fault codes . Also the EML came on within a day or two, as disco_mikey said it would. Never went to limp mode though. Decided against fitting blanks (which had already arrived from bell autos. Anyone want to buy a set?) and ordered a new valve and gaskets from TLO. All fitted now and no more faults. Very Happy

Post #60856023rd Feb 2010 12:46 pm
Annabelle

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up

Post #60876123rd Feb 2010 5:48 pm
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

So, do other makes of car that have engines that meet Euro IV emission standards also have issues with sticking EGR valves?
Or is it just a LR design issue? I seem to remember that there are similar issues with other cars too.
 regards
Peter

Post #60914124th Feb 2010 4:47 am
JOEDAKOTA

France 

Hi,
I am from France near Valence 100 km from Lyon. On e month ago I remove my EGR valve but not electronical, take care off serial mount calculator, EGR have one and it is impossible to remove it because fault appear in the computer . Commercial reference removed
Now I have a wonderfull car, total power and decreasing gasoil consumption.

Have a good week

Hugues

Post #60916124th Feb 2010 8:50 am
Growler

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Anyone done a V8 EGR "Upgrade" Question Question I am suspecting mine being sticky at times, which is felt below and up to 2000rpm Sad It only happens occasionally, and no fault codes are present. Fuel consumption is worse than "normal" Big Cry
 Live Life, do Africa!
V8 SE, Auto
Custom Exhaust System, Duall Battery System,
Snorkel, Front Skid Plate, Auxillary Fuel Tank,
Spare Wheel Swing Arm, General Grabber AT2's 

Post #60996625th Feb 2010 10:46 am
Growler

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

EGR valves 101 - The design criteria for the EGR valve is to allow roughly 10% of the exhaust gasses to be recirculated back into the inlet manifold and mixed with the air/fuel mixture. The result is that the piston chamber combustion temperatures are lowered to ensure no NOx' (nitrous of oxides, also known as laughing gas - highly carcineogenic) develops as a result of combustion temperatures nudging over +- 1200 deg celcius, if me ol' brain remembers correctly. The EGR is supposed to only operate under cruising conditions and NOT acceleration, because the air / fuel ratio is at its leanest at cruising speed, resulting in higher gas temp. EGR's have been fitted to all cars for many years, and been a bone of contention for as many.
If it is stuck open you will have a very lean mixture on accelaration, hence the loss of power. The lamba (exhaust) sensor pickes up a lean mixture and instructs the ECU to dump more fuel to counter this situation. Voila, Censored performance & high fuel consuption.
Back to NOx gasses, to my knowledge, diesels do not produce as much as petrol lumps, and may therefore pass your MOT. If however a decent 5 or 6 gas analyser is used for the test and a 'cruise test' is performed correctly, one will see a rise in NOx' if the EGR is blanked off. This is the short & sweet of Censored EGR valves.
I simply have to do my V8 as soon as possible! Thumbs Up
 Live Life, do Africa!
V8 SE, Auto
Custom Exhaust System, Duall Battery System,
Snorkel, Front Skid Plate, Auxillary Fuel Tank,
Spare Wheel Swing Arm, General Grabber AT2's 

Post #60999025th Feb 2010 11:19 am
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Is there any news on the problems with blanking off the EGRs on 08.5 MY Question I blanked mine a while ago but had to remove them as I got a fault code which turned out to be low EGR flow.
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #62019313th Mar 2010 12:07 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hobgoblin wrote:
Is there any news on the problems with blanking off the EGRs on 08.5 MY Question I blanked mine a while ago but had to remove them as I got a fault code which turned out to be low EGR flow.

Nope, only way around it is probably going to be a custom remap to write out the EGR operating strategies, which may or may not be possible...

Maybe a project for BAS? Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #62023213th Mar 2010 2:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
01coccobet

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Hi all,is the kit any good for my MY07 may?!?

does it have the 2 blanking plates + the inlet blanking?(meaning 3 blanking pieces kit)

cheers
 figuring it out!!!!
the best feeling:getting airborne. 

Post #62029613th Mar 2010 5:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Tawnyowl wrote:
Annabelle wrote:
EGRs what use are they!!?

Exhaust Gas Recirculation , re-uses the exhaust gasses to give cleaner emissions.

by making your car breath crap air prducing more soot getting themselves clogged up and prducing even worse combustion and more pollution. Can really make a good smokescreen sometimes. Another thankyou to the greenies for that.
Rant on Evil or Very Mad
Plus on the D4 the "e-technologies" only switching the alternator on when you brake so your battery goes flat, especially if you're a good driver that anticipates and hardly ever uses the breaks.

Not to mention hybrid technologies meaning battery production / recycling which will be the death of the planet. Huge energy waste making / transporting batteries only for them to start deteriorating from day 1, useless after 5 years, like your laptop battery. 'king green idiots, say goodbye to Bolivia (Li deposites) ! DONT BUY A HYBRID, SAVE BOLIVIA NOW......

rant off Very Happy
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #62043813th Mar 2010 11:06 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

dick dastardly wrote:

Plus on the D4 the "e-technologies" only switching the alternator on when you brake so your battery goes flat, especially if you're a good driver that anticipates and hardly ever uses the breaks.

Only when you are coasting ie. no throttle Whistle Has nothing to do with the brakes
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #62051414th Mar 2010 8:33 am
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Today I've got a check engine light and the only code which appears is:

EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION CONTROL - CIRCUIT HIGH -:P0490

Mine is 7A..... ; does the above error indicate a particular egr valve as problem? Which one - right or left? After clearing the fault - it reappears after two restarts of the car again. What should I check?

My warranty ended yesterday - the light came on today - what a coincidence Evil or Very Mad
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #62857628th Mar 2010 2:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >