DISCO3.CO.UK > General

I'm outta here.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
k1w1

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
I'm outta here.....

Sold the D3 today.

Didn't want to take the hit when the warranty expires, and wanted to beat the rush, so got in early.

Making do with another company's product for the time being. Will not mention said company, but let's just say their warranty terms are much better than others'. No, it's not the Kia Cee'd - give me some credit.

Enjoy D3'ing about. By the way, if you need a tow out of the mud, or indeed down to the LR dealer when your warranty (and car) dies, the Mrs will oblige with her new shiny black beast.

I jest, of course. She'll be far too busy to help any of you lot bwaaahahahaha. Smile

Thanks for all the advice - some very useful stuff gleaned from this site. Nice people, too. Well, I say nice....

So long chaps & chapesses.

Post #13844213th Mar 2007 7:26 pm
oliver77

Wales 

I'm a bit worried about this. A know 2 people with 54 reg D3's who are both looking to get out of them now before the warranty expires. LR need an extended warranty offering which is as good as the 3 year one to keep the values up I think.

Post #13846613th Mar 2007 8:05 pm
k1w1

Well even with a warranty, the depreciation is a real b Censored d . £530/mth.

I make ok money, but object to that level of burning it away.

Boy, did I get some stick at the office from the greenies. Told them I was upgrading to a Hummer just to spite them. hehehe

Post #13846713th Mar 2007 8:11 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

yes tell me about that depreciation - Big Cry
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #13848913th Mar 2007 9:07 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Anyone who buys a car to make money is deluded. Rolling Eyes Anyone who pays £30-£40k for a car and then moans about depreciation probably couldn't afford the car in the first place. Neutral

Post #13849613th Mar 2007 9:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fisherman

Wales 

All cars depreciate, some more than others. The D3 is all the car I'll ever want or need and I'm willing to pay for that. I feel that after the warranty expires, there'll be some people about who are savvy enough to keep my D3 running without the LR price ticket or attitude. I think this really is a car worth getting right if you can. I will try to run the D3 until it bites me in the ar$e, so far so good.
My experience with the dealers has been minimal so far, but generally they don't have a clue about customer service. I find this very strange considering their market share must have been ripped to shreds by the jap/german offerings, who's service levels are generally high. They either compete or die!
Anyway, I'll be looking for an independant to take care of my baby beyond it's warranty period and suffer the depreciation, unless Toyota come up with something better. Laughing
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #13849713th Mar 2007 9:22 pm
k1w1

No one said anything about making money, JMC. Where did that one come from, FFS? Did I touch a raw nerve?

Depreciation wasn't the only reason, but one that played a part in the decision. That depreciation level was exactly the same when I bought the car at 18 months old (compared to list price), so I knew exactly what I was getting into. What was concerning was the negativity I'd been picking up in general circles about the model and the eventual effect no warranty will have on residuals. If the population at large start to pick up on bad press, then she's heading the same way as the Freelander. It's hard to shake that reputation.

With a move to NZ in the offing I didn't want to take that chance. Plus, it feels better to give someone else a chance knowing there is a decent stack of warranty time remaining, just in case the car has issues.

I'd be prepared to keep the car the long haul if my personal circumstances allowed but alas they do not. I might buy again when back in NZ. We shall have to see.

Post #13850413th Mar 2007 9:37 pm
k1w1

And what's this? A Scotsman moaning about people moaning about losing money???!!!

Get a grip, man.

Post #13850613th Mar 2007 9:41 pm
JMC

Scotland 

k1w1 wrote:
No one said anything about making money, JMC. Where did that one come from, FFS? Did I touch a raw nerve?

It's called sarcasm. Rolling Eyes

Raw nerve Confused

I'm not the one peeing myself about depreciation,....... worrying about what other people say about my car instead of my listening to my own experience,............ and running half way round the world to get a life Evil or Very Mad

Whatever..........

Post #13850813th Mar 2007 9:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Ownership of a D3 should never be about the money!!
[Yep!!..from another 'tight' Scotsman]
It's about the pleasures of ownership.

Mine is just over 2 yrs old with 70k on clock.
Plan to keep it for a few years to come!
After all, what will I replace it with .. a new D3? ..what's the point!!
I'll take out the extended warranty and also be prepared to pay the odd hefty bill thats not covered [as I'll have no finance payments to make!]

Anyway, good luck KiWi in whichever way you travel.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #13852013th Mar 2007 9:58 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Worst case as I see it with 'out of warranty' work will be traditional wear components, brakes, bushes, suspension, steering, clutch, tyres etc. everybody should accept these costs whatever they drive and have nothing whatsoever to do with vehicle electronics. To put it in perspective, service costs are available up front before you buy the vehicle so are hardly a surprise (although vary between dealers) software updates are the ones that most seem to be concerned about but at between £45 - £90 for a full IDS session, it's hardly breaking the bank is it?
Taking out extended warranty makes sense to a point, depending upon the exclusions, if you've had the vehicle for at least one scheduled service then any further software updates would only be a benefit not a necessity. As has been mentioned earlier, there will be non-franchised service & repair options as the model matures - something I'm currently working on Wink

Post #13852813th Mar 2007 10:14 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

What's that TFC, are you going to become this sites official mobile mechanic? Smile
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13852913th Mar 2007 10:21 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

YES 8) - and more - details to be revealed soon (but don't tell anyone yet Wink )

Last edited by 10forcash on 13th Mar 2007 10:24 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13853113th Mar 2007 10:23 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13853213th Mar 2007 10:24 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Brilliant news TFC especially as your not far from me. Must admit though never paid for a service in beer before Wink
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #13853413th Mar 2007 10:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >