Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

I'm ashamed to speak up ... EPB install fail?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
I'm ashamed to speak up ... EPB install fail?

Hello everyone,

Been slaving over the EPBs with new pads, installation kit, discs and pads (all from Paul at Advanced).

Much sweat, real blood (back of my left hand) and swearing.

Followed the bible (of course Bow down ) and drove off down a country lane to do the bedding in only to be greeted with a strange sort of ping-ping-ping sound (both sides).

Back up onto the jacks and after several hours of head-scratching, I realised the back of the wheel studs are catching the main spring (as they rotate past).

Photographs to prove it of course (you might need to zoom in).

Click image to enlarge

Now the science bit Neutral

I was assuming that a setting procedure (8 clicks and all that good stuff) and a bedding in procedure would centralise the disc (conically speaking) and thereforefore a collision like this should not happen?
If I use a rubber mallet I can tap the shoes down and create a gap (obviously you have to be careful because if you go too far the disc cannot be mounted).

So question time I guess: Do I tap these down to create a gap and assume that all the other procedures will not allow them to ride back up?

I've read most EPB stuff on our beloved forum and even Googled lots of installation images but not seen any mention of this. Finally, I may have to admit of having made a glaring mistake (I even thought the spring should be on the back face for a while) .

Line this up by eye, make sure there is a gap, re-install the disc and assume nothing shifts upwards. Is it that easy?

I need to lie down. As always I bow to superior knowledge and wisdom. I hope everyone continues to be safe and well.

TIA Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #21719956th Sep 2020 4:35 pm
Gadgetnut

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I had exactly the same problem with kit I bought from AF.

(Had a real problem fitting the springs into the holes on the shoes)

Eventually, I solved the issue by buying a OEM spring set from Landrover (c£12) which sat slightly higher and did not foul the studs
 D1 3Door (White) Long gone
D1 3 Door (Red) Long gone
D2 5 Door (Charleston Green) Long gone
D4 HSE (Black) 

Post #21720056th Sep 2020 5:05 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Bingo!

Do you know, I have the old spring lined up against a new one and they are not quite the same.

I also struggled to hook the springs into the shoes.

Looks like I need some new springs (and to take it all apart again) Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Thank you Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #21720066th Sep 2020 5:08 pm
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Utterly frustrating when the fault is down to a part!
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #21720196th Sep 2020 6:17 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hats off to u , Sounds a right so and so , Bow down

got to adjust mine at some stage , must admit , Have cheated in the past and used a tool to get springs on Whistle

Glad u got it sorted out after all that hard work Thumbs Up

Post #21720326th Sep 2020 7:03 pm
Kilovolt

Interesting tool Idea

Sent a PM down to Paul at AF.

I do not fancy changing springs all day only to find I have the same issue (OEM or otherwise). I was interested to know if he has seen this before. I'm just dreaming of the day a job needs doing on the Disco that is straight forward and works first time Whistle

I am running out of fingertips in dismounting and re-mounting these shoes - they are a swine to do.

Well at least it is not raining this morning............ famous last words.

Post #21720977th Sep 2020 8:04 am
LIAMMCL

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

It a was a good few years ago but I had a non genuine spring stretch (not snap) when installing.

Another one of the times I would only use genuine parts is with this particular spring.

Post #21720997th Sep 2020 8:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >