Dynamic response fault reading?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Snow White

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Dynamic response fault reading?

To the general collective Rolling with laughter

I currently get this fault code come up

(yea, ok, I'll cough, its on a 2012 RRS not a D3/4 but the chassis is the same Whistle )

Which brings on the yellow warning light on the dash. Big Cry
What I'm struggling to do (cos I'm very new to the IId tool) is find out where within the IID tool I can read any current values within Dynamic Response to give me a better idea of where to look for the fault.

I changed the filter as a matter of course (old one looked ok) but still the fault is there (no great surprise as its showing as an electrical fault)

Any help (with the usual sarcasm thrown in Ner Ner would be appreciated.
Cheers
 RRS HSE 2012 Stage 1 remap, timed heater General Grabbers
Blue D3 with winter pack, xenon lights, Geoff's engine performance upgrade, egr's blanked, mega flushed gearbox, 3 new wishbones, RLD sump guard, V8 brakes front and rear, General Grabbers. Rock/tree sliders. Now gone
Defender 90 tray back, 3 winches (with one or two other subtle mods) Now for sale 

Post #20740216th Aug 2019 4:42 pm
Sea Raider

The D3 isn't fitted with it

(its a bit like the ACE system on a D2 I believe)

Post #20740276th Aug 2019 5:11 pm
Sea Raider

Just googled the fault code and found this

https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/suspen...-19.93089/

We don't get faults on the Discovery, serves you right for buying a RRS Mr. Green

Post #20740286th Aug 2019 5:12 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Any fluid leaks?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #20740336th Aug 2019 5:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Snow White

Nope, no fluid leaks or loss of fluid.
When I changed the filter the oil was nice and clean. (its only done 37k)
Blue D3 with winter pack, xenon lights, Geoff's engine performance upgrade, egr's blanked, mega flushed gearbox, 3 new wishbones, RLD sump guard, V8 brakes front and rear, General Grabbers. Rock/tree sliders. Now gone
Defender 90 tray back, 3 winches (with one or two other subtle mods) Now for sale 

Post #20740636th Aug 2019 6:23 pm
Snow White

Sea Raider wrote:

We don't get faults on the Discovery, serves you right for buying a RRS Mr. Green

Oh yes they do...….. Whistle
I use to have a D3 so know just how quirky they can be Rolling with laughter

Post #20740726th Aug 2019 7:01 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 
Re: Dynamic response fault reading?

Snow White wrote:
To the general collective Rolling with laughter

I currently get this fault code come up

(yea, ok, I'll cough, its on a 2012 RRS not a D3/4 but the chassis is the same Whistle )

Which brings on the yellow warning light on the dash. Big Cry
What I'm struggling to do (cos I'm very new to the IId tool) is find out where within the IID tool I can read any current values within Dynamic Response to give me a better idea of where to look for the fault.

I changed the filter as a matter of course (old one looked ok) but still the fault is there (no great surprise as its showing as an electrical fault)

Any help (with the usual sarcasm thrown in Ner Ner would be appreciated.
Cheers

Check the wiring to the valve for a short. If there’s no damage you need to replace the valve 1 solenoid coil.

Post #20740826th Aug 2019 7:34 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

Post #20740896th Aug 2019 7:50 pm
Snow White

Cheers M3 for the photo

But....
Is there a way on IId tool to read the values going to the coil to show if there is a short in the wiring somewhere? (That could be a Censored to find!!!)
Or the current going to the coil is correct (no short) but coil itself is failing?
Cheers

Post #20742157th Aug 2019 9:25 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Just had a look in the gap iid web site and couldn’t see anything , only the suspension valves

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool/

May sound daft but is the steering wheel angle sensor ok

Bit of info for u

The Dynamic Response control module receives a power supply from the main relay via fuse 9E in the BJB (battery junction box).

An engine speed signal is transmitted to the control module from the ECM (engine control module) via the high speed CAN (controller area network) bus. The engine speed signal is used by the Dynamic Response control module to detect that the engine is running and hydraulic pressure for the Dynamic Response system is available.

A road speed signal is transmitted to the control module from the ABS (anti-lock brake system) module on the high speed CAN. A steering angle signal is transmitted on the high speed CAN bus from the steering angle sensor. The Dynamic Response control module uses the road speed and steering angle signals to calculate lateral acceleration and for on and off-road roll compensation.

When reverse gear is selected and reverse wheel rotation is transmitted on the high speed CAN bus, the Dynamic Response system reverts to a 'locked bars' condition. This condition is maintained until reverse gear is deselected and a forward wheel rotation message is transmitted on the CAN bus.

The Dynamic Response control module receives an "ignition on" signal on the high speed CAN bus. The ignition signal provides an input into the control module to inform the control module that the ignition switch is in position II. The control module initiates a 250 ms start time which is used to prevent functions operating when the software routines are being initialised

When the 'ignition-on' CAN signal is removed, the control module senses that the ignition has been switched off. The control module remains powered for a 30 second period to allow fault information and adaptive values to be stored in the memory. The values and fault information are read by the control module when the ignition is next switched on. The power supply to the control module is maintained for as long as the main relay remains energised

The Dynamic Response control module is connected via the high speed CAN bus to the diagnostic socket which allows diagnostic interrogation of the control module. The diagnostic socket allows for the connection of a Land Rover approved diagnostic system to read any stored fault codes in the control module. The control module can also be updated with revised software using a Land Rover approved diagnostic system should a software update be required.

When system faults are detected, the control module issues a message on the CAN bus which is received by the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster then illuminates the air suspension/Dynamic Response warning indicator as follows:

Minor faults - warning indicator illuminated in an amber color with an applicable message in the message
centre

Major faults - warning indicator illuminated in a flashing red color with an applicable message in the message center and an audible warning. The message will instruct the driver to stop the vehicle immediately or drive with caution.

Two messages relating to Dynamic Response are displayed in the instrument cluster message center:
SUSPENSION FAULT, VEHICLE LEAN, WHEN CORNERING SUSPENSION FAULT, STOP SAFELY, STOP ENGINE.

The Dynamic Response control module supplies a control current to the Pressure Control Valve (PCV) in the valve block. The current supplied is determined by a number of input signals from the upper and lower accelerometers, road speed, steering angle etc. The PCV controls the hydraulic pressure supplied to the actuators proportional to the current supplied by the control module.

Power is supplied to the two solenoid operated Directional Control Valves (DCV) in the valve block by the control module. Together, the two DCV's control the direction of flow of hydraulic fluid to the actuators. When the control module supplies power to the solenoids the valves open allowing hydraulic fluid to flow to the actuators. When power is removed, the DCV's close. DCV1 is open for right hand corners and DCV2 is opened for left hand corners.

The pressure transducer located in the valve block receives a 5V current from the control module. The transducer measures the hydraulic pressures in the range of 0 to 180 bar (0 to 2610 lbf/in2) and returns a linear output voltage to the control module dependent on the hydraulic pressure.

The Dynamic Response control module supplies a 5V current to each of the accelerometers. Each accelerometer is capable of measuring lateral acceleration in the range of ± 1.11 g. An analogue input to the control module of between 0.5 and 4.5V relative to the lateral acceleration sensed is returned by each accelerometer. The control module processes the two signals received, together with the steering angle and vehicle speed signals, to produce a 'pure' lateral acceleration signal which is then used as the main control signal for the Dynamic Response system.

Failure Modes

Failures where the vehicle can still be driven safely are indicated by the air suspension/Dynamic Response warning indicator in the instrument cluster illuminating continuously in an amber color. The amber indicator will remain illuminated until the ignition is switched off. For all faults, the warning indicator will only illuminate again if the fault is still present.

Failures which require the driver to stop the vehicle immediately are indicated by the air suspension/Dynamic Response warning indicator flashing in a red color and an audible warning. This will also be accompanied by an applicable message displayed in the message centre

All faults are recorded by the control module and can be retrieved using a Land Rover approved diagnostic system. The diagnostic system provides a description of the fault, possible causes and corrective action to rectify the fault. The control module can fail to one of two states; 'locked bars' or 'reduced operation'.

The 'locked bars' condition means that pump flow is directed through the valve block and returns to the reservoir. Both DCV's close, trapping the fluid in the actuators. The fluid can flow from one actuator to the other via the valve block. The stabilizer bars will perform similar to a conventional stabilizer bar, resisting roll but still allowing suspension articulation.

The 'reduced operation' condition means that the system can still operate, but one of the input signals is not being received and so the system performance is not optimum.

If the steering angle sensor develops a fault or is out of calibration, there is a possibility that the dynamic response control module will record a fault code. A Land Rover approved diagnostic system should be used to check for fault codes and the adaptive data should be cleared by resetting the fault codes in the control module after the steering angle sensor has been recalibrated.

Each accelerometer is a capacitive acceleration sensor and operates on a 5V supply from the dynamic response control module. The upper and lower accelerometers can measure acceleration in the range of ±1.11 g and return an output to the control module of between 0.5 and 4.5V.

C1B03 - 19
Directional Control Valve #1 - Circuit current above threshold

Directional control valve 1 circuit short to power Directional control valve 1 failure

Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check directional control valve 1 circuit for short to power.

Check and install a new directional control valve 1 solenoid coil as required

Hope this helps

Post #20742477th Aug 2019 10:53 am
gstuart

Hi M3 bobby

Apologises , see you’ve already mentioned about the directional control valve Thumbs Up

Post #20742497th Aug 2019 11:02 am
Snow White

Cheers gstuart

Don't know where you found the info, but it does help.
Don't think I have anything wrong with the steering sensor, as I'd expect it to affect other systems.

Hopefully just a bad connector, otherwise £100+ for a new coil.

At least I'm not getting frustrated looking for something on the IId tool that isn't there Whistle

Post #20742717th Aug 2019 12:48 pm
gstuart

Hi

Ur very welcome , at least it goes with the other info that’s been posted

That’s not too bad , ref the cost , indeed hopefully it’s just a bad connector

Only reason I said about the steering wheel angle sensor is it’s tied into the system

Plse let us know how it goes , thks Thumbs Up

Post #20742727th Aug 2019 12:58 pm
Snow White

Ok, so it has taken me a while to sort this out, partly cos the fault was temperamental (typical for a bloody L/R) and when I did get round to trying to change it, the directional control valve (unit) was seized on. No change there then!!! And as usual, you could only get to it with one double jointed hand. Laughing and cutting a 27mm spanner in half (there really is NO working room Evil or Very Mad )

So after a lot of swearing, WD40 over a number of weeks I finally got the unit free. However, just to make you realise that L/R designers clearly don't work on these cars, you can't get the unit out unless you un-bolt the whole valve block from the chassis to get you the couple of extra mm's that are required to clear the body, whilst not putting too much strain on the various pipes going to the valve block.

Anyway, old unit out, new unit in(thanks Advanced Factors) put the plug on, re-bolt valve block to chassis, clear fault code and...…..
now this comes up Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Censored

I checked the resistance of both units and they are the same. Same part number.
If I put the old unit back in I still get C1B03-19
New unit I get C117-95 which comes up straight away?

I have changed the oil filter and the fluid is lovely and clean.

Any suggests (including setting fire to the bloody thing at the moment) gratefully received

Post #208778028th Sep 2019 4:25 pm
gstuart

Hi

This is the only thing I can find , can u put the pipes back on in the wrong place ???

Is there a special bleed process

the more knowledgeable should know Thumbs Up

C1117- 95
Direction Control Valve(s) - Incorrect assembly
Incorrect connection of the pressure control and direction control valves Direction control valve circuit high resistance Damaged direction control valve

Check the valve connections and rectify as necessary. Check the direction control valves. Check direction control valve circuit for high resistance. Check and install a new direction control valve as required

Last edited by gstuart on 28th Sep 2019 5:00 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #208778728th Sep 2019 4:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >