Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

I wish my Sat Nav would do this......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
CFB

United Kingdom 
I wish my Sat Nav would do this......

Just spotted this article, Sat Nav guiding people to UCR's "only just passable in a 4x4" bloody marvellous Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/05042006/344/sat-...-edge.html
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #521335th Apr 2006 10:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine did that on Friday, lots of traffic round Cirencester so it worked out an alternative route, I could tell it knew it was in a D3 when I saw the 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' sign at the start of a green lane Very Happy
 The End  
Post #521355th Apr 2006 10:29 am
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I would be interested to know what setting you have programmed for the Sat Nav for everyday use - minor roads / major roads, etc

When playing with it on routes I know, it does sometimes take you on a voyage of discovery and even switching between the three routes offered, doesnt make much difference to the obvious (well to me) route you know (OK so here may lie the flaw) is best (no fields or rough stuff involved........ mostly).

That said, it does always get me there.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #521495th Apr 2006 12:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
overload

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Manual Zambezi SilverLR3

Mine set me down a snowmobile trail. My wife did not buy the "well this is the route" approach. Razz

Post #521785th Apr 2006 1:52 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

on the TomTom, you can set it to Walking Route .... try it .... but watch out for gates ...
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #521895th Apr 2006 2:35 pm
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

My Indago, which uses Navteq mapping, tried to send me down a route signed as a "No Entry, For Access only" route in the New Forest on Monday

Post #522385th Apr 2006 9:45 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

lee01277 wrote:
on the TomTom, you can set it to Walking Route .... try it .... but watch out for gates ...

cool... can you use it like a hand held GPS and get grid refs etc ? Also enter grid ref and have it guide you on foot to the position ?

Looking for a car sat nav that is also useable for Geocaching - that way the wife will NEED to buy it Smile

cheers

-s

Post #522405th Apr 2006 9:49 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

simon wrote:
lee01277 wrote:

cool... can you use it like a hand held GPS and get grid refs etc ? Also enter grid ref and have it guide you on foot to the position ?

Looking for a car sat nav that is also useable for Geocaching - that way the wife will NEED to buy it Smile

cheers

-s

I will check, but I think it only gives lat / long, and with version 5 (latest..), you loose the ability to set a waypoint using lat/long. You can however in map browse mode use the pointer to set a waypoint, but this is just down to Dead Rec... I tend to use my old magellan 315 if I want OS or Grid refs, hooked up to a map prog on the laptop, but not so good for "walking" .. I haven't looked at the new handhelds for a good while, but I think the latest garmins / mags can do what you say above.
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #522435th Apr 2006 10:38 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yep, the Garmin range is worth a look. Get one with a base map.

Post #522525th Apr 2006 11:00 pm
simon

mmm looked at the handheld stuff but I really want a car sat nav thats portable for street walking on hols and also for walking in the countryside... oh well

-s

Post #522565th Apr 2006 11:16 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Right, remember the PDA I had when I had a pint with you in Ludlow?, the HP IPAQ HW55?? something! that had built in GPS and you could load OS base maps via Multi Map. It would be ideal for what you want. It is pricey, but its a good phone and PDA also.

I ended up sending it back because I could not get a good deal for my company. We ended up with O2 Exec11 PDA's which are everything the IPAQ is, without the built in GPS receiver.

Post #522595th Apr 2006 11:23 pm
simon

mmm but its pricey Wink AND it runs Windoze Wink

Will have to wait for someone to click that the portable car units are not just useful for city folk but for walkers too !

Get you to the area you want to walk... then guide you round the crappie rights of way signs (always seem to be missing at key points on a walk) we have in the UK

cheers

Post #522655th Apr 2006 11:39 pm
MJH

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

simon wrote:
mmm looked at the handheld stuff but I really want a car sat nav thats portable for street walking on hols and also for walking in the countryside... oh well

-s

Simon,

I have a Garmin 60CS which is great for walking & Geocaching (rugged, showerproof with lots of features) but, for me, the screen would be too small for a car sat nav (it's only 1.5” W x 2.2” H).

I guess a car sat nav for you and a hand-held as a birthday present for your wife might be a solution Laughing

If you do opt for a hand held I'd also recommend taking a look at the memory map software www.memory-map.co.uk - Excellect stuff for Geocaching and route planning.

Post #522675th Apr 2006 11:40 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Maybe, you should register on the Ramblers Assoc. forum and ask for their advice? "I like to drive my 4x4 to the top of the mountain, and then I want to walk down, which GPS do you recommend?"

I am sure you will get some useful replies.

Wink

Post #522685th Apr 2006 11:42 pm
eddtheduck

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Try taking a look at the Garmin Vista C. I use it for walking, Sailing anywhere in the world (near enough) and latterly have used it in hire cars.

Good laptop interface but not easy to enter addresses until you get used to it. Very light, waterproof, versatile, runs on most power sources and AA batteries. Screen small but directions simple and basic.

On road map for europe about £100 or £160 with all car fitments inc charger. Sea charts pricey but worth it. I get the feeling that off road stuff sorted for the US but not for the UK.

Great toy and I love it! Very Happy
 2008.5 D3 HSE, Stornoway, Ebony
2007 BMW 335iSE - lust for speed satisfied 

Last edited by eddtheduck on 5th Apr 2006 11:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #522705th Apr 2006 11:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >