Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Do I need a new battery?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mentioned before, this is the one I use http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=125304

Post #38885916th Dec 2008 3:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

Discontinued by Draper apparently
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #38886216th Dec 2008 3:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I've had HDC message on dash at startup for a while now.

Cranking has gotten slow lately. Been to dealer a few times.

Yesterday morning, booked into dealer again (long story) and moved the car in the front garden to unload the boot. Slow cranking. Left boot open for about 15 mins whilst I faffed around emptying contents.

Car then had pretty flat battery that wouldn't turn engine quick enough to start. 15 mins on a Ctek trickle charge put enough back to get it to the garage.

Haven't got car back yet, but hopefully a new battery will be fitted. Mine is 3 years old on the 29th Dec, and is on about 48,000 miles.

Dealer needs it another day to clean all the mud off from Salisbury the other weekend Laughing Laughing

Post #38892116th Dec 2008 6:50 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi JMC, the reason I asked about a special need, your D3 cranking battery at it’s lowest state of charge, is not going draw any more than 20 amps at the very maximum and more likely, only 15 amps max.

This high current charging is good if you only have a couple of hours to get the bulk of charge back into a flat battery but all lead acid batteries actually absorb and hold a slower low current charge better than a fast high current charge.

If you are using the charger to keep your battery in a fully charged state between D3 uses, then as posted earlier,long term, a small 2 to 4 amp charger is actually going to be far better for maintaining your battery in a fully charged state with the intention of extending the battery’s operating life.

This slow charging will have no trouble keeping a Lead/Calcium battery fully charged and help extend their life span.

Try checking the battery manufacturer’s web site, most say the same thing. Slow low current charging is ultimately better for any battery.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #38901716th Dec 2008 9:49 pm
JMC

Scotland 

I spend some of my working day dealing with charging various batteries, but not the automotive type.

Have I been a victim of marketing and hype? Confused

I was led to believe (from previous threads here) that a standard 12v charger will not fully charge the D3 battery - hence the expensive charger.

At the end of the day, it may be more than I need, but with a number of rarely used vehicles/batteries, I'm sure it won't be money wasted in the longer term.
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #38902416th Dec 2008 10:01 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I use this little wonder. Perfect.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #38902816th Dec 2008 10:05 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

>£30 at Costco last time I was there
JMC - you deffo need a charger suitable for lead-calcium batteries as the charge voltage needs to be higher at low temperatures, a 'standard' charger won't do

Post #38903216th Dec 2008 10:10 pm
Pelyma

England 

I use a Ctek for the tin tent, says its ok for calcium but never tried it. It is definitely good at reviving dead leisure batteries
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #38903616th Dec 2008 10:14 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

While lead/calcium batteries do need a special charging regime to get them to a fully charged state, the improvement over a conventional charger is less than a 5% gain and will have no effect on the overall life span of the battery.

For the subject being discussed here, any elcheapo small 2 to 4 amp multi stage battery charger will give the same results.

If you giving your battery(s) a hard time then something like a Ctek may be the way to go but if you are giving your battery(s) a hard time then it is high likely they are going to have a shorter life span no matter what charger you use.

If you are in a situation where you are not likely to fully charge your battery while driving then you can greatly improve the operation of the battery for starting and operating life span of the battery by putting a low current charger on your battery when ever it is not in use.

Here's a tip I give to many of my agricultural customers who have equipment they leave for months at a time between uses and will save you having to pop the bonnet all the time.

Fit a length of twin cable to your battery and run it to a point where it just comes through the grill and fit a small 2 pin plug to the end of the cable. 10 gauge cable is all you need.

Next mount your battery charger somewhere near the AC power point and then run a similar type of twin cable from the charger to the plug at the grill and fit a socket on the other cable.

Make sure the cable coming from the charger is long enough to be able to lay it over the driver’s side mirror and then connect to the plug at the grill.

This last bit means you won’t forget to unplug before you drive off.
Post #38907916th Dec 2008 11:18 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I just bought on of these
http://www.projecta.com.au/catalogue/cid/54/asset_id/154/ for $150 on fleabay
and put an anderson plug on it and did the same with my
caravan deep cycle....makes it easier to use
Ill put an anderson plug on the aux battery on the D3 in the future

Drivesafe
Keep the "free" info coming Thumbs Up
 Pete  
Post #38913217th Dec 2008 12:50 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi drivesafe,
Thanks for your input. You are making a lot of sense. Thumbs Up

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #38916817th Dec 2008 4:58 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

Well after driving near 60 miles last night the voltage was 12.5V with the engine off, and 12 hours later it's still 12.1V, so definitely think it down to too many consecutive short journey or the iPod wire.

Based on all the comments above, I suppose my initial idea to get one of these little solar powered trickle chargers and permanently mount it on the Expo rack isn't really worth while.

Having never had to charge the battery in the D3, I presumme it's no different than others in that I don't need to disconnect the main leads from the battery whilst leaving the mains powered charger to do it's work and can just close the bonnet and forget above it until I want to drive away.

To make 100% sure I'm going for a drive today with the multimeter connected so I can see the charge rate etc.

Thanks for all the advise guys Thumbs Up
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #38921817th Dec 2008 11:00 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi again MrH, a solar trickle charger is actually quite a good move and when a battery charger is in the maintenance stage, it is a trickle charger and does not supply all that much more current than a good sized solar trickle charger provides.

BUT

For a solar trickle charger to work, your battery needs to be fully or near fully charger in the first place because solar trickle chargers do not have the current capacity to charge a low battery.

Still, it is something worth seriously considering.
Post #38923817th Dec 2008 11:35 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

Thanks DriveSafe!

Just got back from a 25 minute drive with the Multimeter wired to the battery terminals - interesting (well to me any how)

As expected with voltage at 12.5 this morning she burst into life almost immediately Very Happy I then cruised around the forest roads with the outside temperature at around 0 degress - nice frosty scenes everywhere 8)

Voltage was 14.95-15.00V for the first 18 minutes, then dropped to 14.16-14.20V for the last 10 minutes before I got home. On turning the engine off, the voltage dropped back down to 12.5V.

So in summary, I think it's probably been due to too many short journeys in succession during the cold weather. I'm going to put the charger on both batteries (in turn) over night and make sure they're fully topped up, and I think I'll also look into re-wiring the FBH so that it takes it's power off the Auxillary battery, that way if SWMBO wants to use it with the timer it won't affect the cranking battery.
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #38926317th Dec 2008 12:20 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Good bit of info MrH, and the fact that your battery rested back to 12.5 pretty quickly indicates that your battery is STILL not fully charged but keep us informed.

Cheers.
Post #38927517th Dec 2008 12:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >