Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

I lost my Disco on the side of a mountain .... Help !!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
I lost my Disco on the side of a mountain .... Help !!!

Had a small bit of a scare on a mountain last week and leaned a very valuable lesson. Shocked In order to
prevent what happened happening again ,once again I turn to the vast knowledge base that is disco3.co.uk Razz

To get to the point , I go mountain biking (not your cycle through your local forest park , but up the side of very remote
mountains) Sheep , Im after some sort of handheld or Bike mountable GPS system , some thing that will allow me to define way-points
and mark landmarks on , Distance from point to point and distance travelled ... you get the idea.
Garmin do these type of things .

What I would like is something with built in mapping , once again Garmin do these , but My question here is
does anyone use anything like this in Ireland , that is to say what are the irish Maps like , If they exist at all ?
Sat Nav maps for Ireland are very very poor compared with the UK , they are getting better but I wonder
how good they are out side of main cities for this type of application , I'm speaking specifically about geographic data maps
not national roads and city maps.

Anyways anybody got any ideas , As mentioned the maps would be in the ideal world , but to be honest I don't think
they exist for Ireland. So any recommendations of device's for way-point etc would be great.

B.

Post #13017915th Feb 2007 3:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
joness7

United Kingdom 
Re: I lost my Disco on the side of a mountain .... Help !!!

BarryG wrote:

Anyways anybody got any ideas , As mentioned the maps would be in the ideal world , but to be honest I don't think
they exist for Ireland. So any recommendations of device's for way-point etc would be great.

B.

Hi BarryG

I use a Garmin Quest on my motorbike in unpowered mode. I have used it both in Ireland on road trips and "cross country" whilst green laning etc. The road maps of Ireland are "ok", not great though. Although I have v7 of the mapping, they are up to v9 now I think.

The Quest is waterproof, stores a definable amount of "breadcrumbs" on your route which you can then follow back, and would seem to do most of what you want. Plus it's cheap!!

Rgds
Steve J
 2018 1.5Ti Skoda Octavia - dull as f&ck
2019 D5 SdV6 SE Anniversary - black/black - good riddance!!
2010 D4 TDV6 HSE - Nara Bronze with black - now gone!!
2006 D3 TDV6 HSE - Buckingham Blue with Alpaca - now gone!!
BMW R1200GS - also blue, also gone!!
Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT - Dakar colours
Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 - the Black Arrow 

Post #13019015th Feb 2007 3:46 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Barry, I reckon that the most basic Garmin Etrex should do the job for you.

When I first read your post, I thought you meant you nearly lost your Disco on mountainside because you had got it stuck or something, but now I realise you just misplaced its whereabouts! 8)

If you had a basic Etrex, you could mark the D3 position, go off on your bike and mark waypoints as you go. When you want to find your Disco, just set the route to take you to waypoint "D3" (yes, you can name waypoints on it).

You could go direct, and follow the arrow, or you could go via other waypoints to give you a more interesting route.

Post #13020615th Feb 2007 4:35 pm
BarryG

Thanks Guys for your suggestions.

Gareth : you have the idea mate, What happened was that we were on a new mountain range that we had very little local knowledge on, I didn't quite misplace my Disco , in that i new where it was but due to a heavy weather we were forced to alter our route back to Base (d3) in favor of lower ground. ,

Having a defined way-point to aim for "way-point d3" , would have made life easier , Mapping information in the same unit would be even better as we could have defined our route back in favor of easier terrain.

The Etrex sounds good , any views on the Foretrex 101 , anyone have one, ?
would love if there was a device with the features of the Etrex but also with geographic map data

Cheers again guys,

here's pic from the day in question , before the weather got bad ,

Post #13021815th Feb 2007 5:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Barry, I also do serious mountain biking [ s-works stumpjumper].
I got an Etrex and find my way back to 'D3 base' ok.
But have also invested in Anquet maps.
The idea of this is that I can download onto my handheld ipaq, connect this up to my Etrex and hey presto, real time placement on OS maps.
Trouble is I aint got around to loading it yet!!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #13022515th Feb 2007 5:55 pm
BarryG

Ron.

That sounds great mate ,but no Anquet Maps for Ireland Rolling Eyes
I guess it going to have be a Etrex and good old fashioned paper map Rolling Eyes
but the Etrex will be great for setting new way point and places of interest
that I want to visit again

s-works stumpjumper .... 8) Bow down

trek 8000 Disc Razz perfect for what I want it for .
Ron you must be big into MTB , tell us more.

Post #13023115th Feb 2007 6:16 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

So no Anquet!!, I assume it's the same with all other pc based map system ...sod!!! Big Cry

posting pics on forum soon re my D3 adapted bike rack .. stumpy's on that!
s'got - XTR Drivetrain, Fox Septune 7, Pace RC41Xcam, Thomson elite post n stem, Race Face Carbon bars,
Hope Hubs, Mavic 717s, 2.3 Kenda Stick-E's, Juicy 5's -there crap - changing for Hope M4 floaters.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #13024515th Feb 2007 6:58 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Any device using Navteq maps will have full, complete detailed coverage of all of Ireland. All the latest Garmin devices have these maps as far as I know. The full Irish maps from Navteq became available approx 11 months ago - I remember getting an AA Navigator at the time which had the complete maps. Everything is covered, all the townlands are on there too, even some private laneways are mapped.

LRs latest DVD, for example, has a slightly older version and only two thirds of the country is mapped to full detail.

Anything with Tele Atlas maps will have no detail in the countryside other than 'R' roads, e.g. Tom Tom
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #13026715th Feb 2007 8:04 pm
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

bkehoe wrote:

Anything with Tele Atlas maps will have no detail in the countryside other than 'R' roads, e.g. Tom Tom

Some of the TomTom's now use navteq maps.

Post #13029415th Feb 2007 9:17 pm
nobbyclark

Garmin Quest is what you need, as mentioned above. I've got one and use it in both cars and on my Orange mountain bike.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #13075117th Feb 2007 12:32 am
BarryG

thanks one and all for your help and suggestions.
Garmin etrex purchased today due on Monday,

B. Java Black

Post #13076917th Feb 2007 1:33 am
zetecr

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

You might wish to check out OziExplorer CE (www.oziexplorer.com) that runs on Windows Mobile. I guess this may not be well known in Europe, but it will do all you need, real time tracking and navigation along pre-defined routes, and lets you create maps from scanned images of paper maps as well.

Post #13079117th Feb 2007 10:52 am
Nash

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hello ..I use a Garmin in the car and in the bike. Smile Wink
It´s a MAP60CSX..very good one..with high sensibility chip technology (SirfIII)...Of course you need topographic maps in img (extension). We have that recently in spain and if not, you have to "built" your own maps based on other format. (very anoying).
Garmin is very compact but if you don't have that and you still want to have maps "underneath" your plot position you can go for a PDA with "waterproof cage" and install OZI explorer for PDA...with other type of maps (not img)...easy to find. Wink

See picture atached
 Nacho

DISCOVERY3 TDV6 HSE Zambezzi 

Post #13085217th Feb 2007 6:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >