Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

I was going to buy an MY10 D4, until I read this...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Walkzinho

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
I was going to buy an MY10 D4, until I read this...

http://landroverhell.com/article/3564/

Im truly shocked, Ive read about Turbo problems on this forum but that website has cemented my decision to look elsewhere for a works vehicle.

Would be interested in hearing forum regulars views on this.

regards,

Chris

Post #8440836th Oct 2011 12:41 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Yep the site has been around for years ...started by a typical deranged disgruntled individual from the 'me, me, me' element of life 's corner where nothing anyone else can do or say would be good enough to resolve the situation and even if you did they would bury you anyway just for the hell of it Rolling Eyes

Seems you have been sucked in Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #8440856th Oct 2011 12:54 am
Walkzinho

I find that slightly unfair, I'm entitled to a certain element of reassurance If im looking at parting with the best part of 40k and straying away from German marques which I've had from the day i past my driving test.

Post #8440866th Oct 2011 12:59 am
Walkzinho

Its funny how the motoring media never reports these issues and still completely bums LR even in the face of so many reliability issues. Mind you, I guess the UK can't afford to have one of its most 'prestigious' exports slated in the media, we need all the help we can get.

Post #8440886th Oct 2011 1:03 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Well you said it had 'cemented' your decision ...what is the point of offering reassurances ? Confused Wink

I've had 2 D3's from new .... I'd have a D4 5 6 7 & 8 .....what do you expect anyone to say here ? 'don't buy one' ? There are always horror stories from every marque of every car if you want to seek them out. Not trying to be being harsh or unfair but the complaints and faults are in a minority when you consider the total sales Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 6th Oct 2011 1:31 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8440896th Oct 2011 1:07 am
Walkzinho

DG wrote:
Not trying to be being harsh or unfair but the complaints and faults are in a minority when you consider the total sales Thumbs Up

I guess, I've just dipped in and out of 'nearly' buying one that many times and just when I think I've made my decision I come across something like that, and that scares the living Censored out of me!

I say cemented, but that was in the heat of the moment. You have to admit this turbo problem is quite scary for any potential purchaser, along with a few other common faults.

I still really want one and i'll probably keep persuading myself to get one, even at the risk of the 'told you so's' i'll get. I'll be scrutinising the service booklet and asking lots of questions..

See, I've persuaded myself to continue looking.

Post #8440916th Oct 2011 1:14 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

That's the spirit Thumbs Up Laughing

Chill out ...buy one ......and enjoy Smile
Post #8440926th Oct 2011 1:22 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
Well you said it had 'cemented' your decision ...what is the point of offering reassurances ? Confused Wink

I've had 2 D3's from new .... I'd have a D4 5 6 7 & 8 .....what do you expect anyone to say here ? 'don't buy one' ? There are always horror stories from every marque of every car if you want to seek them out. Not trying to be being harsh or unfair but the complaints and faults are in a minority when you consider the total sales Thumbs Up

Well said DG
Ihave had a D3 and D4 and yes there have been a few problems, but LR have always been helpful and worked with me to reslve the issues to an amicable end. I believe all makes have their issues and there is always a customer who will really slag off the brand but I am happy with the car and support that goes with it. Thumbs Up I am also happy with the ability of the car to go where most others will not and through what most others cannot (snow etc)
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #8440946th Oct 2011 1:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco4x4au

Australia 

The problem is that a single owner's point of view is just that - a statistical set with a membership of one. Of course, if you happen to be that member, it's difficult not to generalise your experiences for others, but it doesn't seem to be the general consensus with the current LR products. Nor with most new vehicles - in general it seems that most manufacturers are producing reliable vehicles, albeit with a very different maintenance/repair philosophy to that of the older 20th C designs.

That last point throws a few people off - why can't I service it myself? Why can't I get Joe Bloggs to tune the carby? Why can't you tell me exactly what's wrong? Etc etc. Modern vehicles don't adhere to a design paradigm that gives sense to such questions, and that can get people's back up. Add a dealer/service agent that got up on the wrong side of bed that day to the mix, and it quickly gets volatile. Responses escalate, not always in a good way - some customer service agents don't handle screaming, foaming-at-the-mouth clients well.

If you don't need the complexity and maintenance expense of a modern 4WD, don't buy one. Doesn't matter if you're talking about an LR, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Jeep, Merc or anything else (there are bitter, complaint sites for every one of those marques). You'll find that the majority of people that complain to the extent of setting up or backing up such sites are people who don't actually use their 4WD for what it was designed for. I know that in my experience with my clients (I teach 4WD'ing in LR products), a single day out 4WD'ing will extinguish all niggles or frustrations.

And if you DO want/need a 4WD, get a Land Rover. Or Range Rover. Nothing is as good Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #8440956th Oct 2011 2:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

disco4x4au wrote:

And if you DO want/need a 4WD, get a Land Rover. Or Range Rover. Nothing is as good Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Gordon

That last comment is exactly the point I was making. We love our D4 it does what it says on the tin Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #8441026th Oct 2011 5:53 am
Baschurchbill

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Having spent all my life in the trade I can say that Land Rover can not be accused of poor quality, it is as good as it gets these days & certainly not behind German makes.
Consumers are oblivious to the incredibly complicated nature of modern vehicle technology & the responsibilities of owning & caring for a beast like a Disco4.
I have yet to meet a consumer who willingly will pay for ALL the proper maintenace & care, this has an adverse effect later in the vehicles life which generally costs more than the missed maintenance.
Cars are no longer nags, they are throughbreds & need the care of a throughbred not left in a field & fed on grass.

Post #8441036th Oct 2011 6:10 am
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

We are all entitled to our opinion, like this guy is... However there are thousands of satisfied customers of Land Rover who don't say anything..

Land Rover are currently on a massive recruitment drive and development programme, they're doing something right... How many other manufacturers are in the same position?
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #8441086th Oct 2011 6:42 am
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Bow down I have never owned a land rover before , I have now and can make my own mind up , not for a moment would I go on a forum and start slating a car I know nothing about , but perhaps something I've read some where ,
Especially that site ranting about , Censored
a car that goes from a to b , and perhaps looks like a rufty tufty off roader , is maybe all that some people want , and german cars do that , land rover are perhaps something completely different , what doesn't have issues , you buy what you want in this world , if you can stretch to it , by the way my d3 is and still is the best vehicle I own , and when we can will move onto a d4 , permagrin as they say at the ready Thumbs Up
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #8441216th Oct 2011 8:24 am
Walkzinho

I run a marquee hire company, so it'll be towing a trailer for 10,000 miles a year therefore reliability is paramount. I also only earn money for 7 months of the year, so I cannot afford for my main vehicle to be in and out of a garage during the season! Plus Tte last thing I want is to go into limp mode with a full load behind me Shocked

Ive had a Nissan Navara for the last 5 years, although its been fairly faultless its had its issues (7 clutches), but the image and road handling of it are starting to get on my nerves (sore back after long journeys etc). I'll give it a whirl, I can always get rid.

Post #8441226th Oct 2011 8:24 am
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Then you should get a defender and a d4
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #8441236th Oct 2011 8:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >