Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

I feel like a Land Rover owner because....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Of the more mainstream manufacturers it probably is only Land Rover and Alfa Romeo, whereby faults and problems are seen as part of the ownership experience. I guess these cars just have something a little more about them.

Post #12467994th Mar 2014 7:28 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It's not just an LR thing ....I suggest that you visit any motor brand forum and you will see that faults and problems are just part of living with a machine Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #12468014th Mar 2014 7:38 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

That is of course true as I guess most owners of any brand of car would never dream of looking at or joining a forum.

Post #12468034th Mar 2014 7:45 am
albal

United Kingdom 

oop north wrote:
I have been lurking here for nearly 4 years - had a D3 HSE for just over five months (three months of loveliness then 2 months of nightmare in and out of the garage, lying dealer etc). I keep hoping I might be able to bring myself to get a D4 but reading threads like this remind me to keep away Sad

Lying dealer isn't really the car's fault. I appreciate that can make a bad situation terrible but I don't think Land Rovers are any less or more reliable than other makes. However, people have to remember that maintenance on them is big 4x4 money. You can't expect to run and maintain a 3 tonne vehicle built to a spec (rather than most marks that are built to a price) for the running costs of a Mondeo. At least you can buy most parts down to the bracket or fastener.

Though you have a known network of honest people to rely upon here and there won't be many posts with people posting how their car is fine today.

Perhaps click on the members map http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/atlas.php?mode=viewmap and zoom in a little to get an idea of the number of registered lurkers not having problems Smile I don't think there is any way to tell how many people come look that have not registered.

Best of luck Thumbs Up

Post #12469114th Mar 2014 11:24 am
robere3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

Because I'm always skint ha every service over 600 pounds...always a light on etc ha..but still love driving it 4.4v8 power what else is needed. ...

Post #12469234th Mar 2014 11:53 am
oop north

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

Fitzy73 wrote:
Of the more mainstream manufacturers it probably is only Land Rover and Alfa Romeo, whereby faults and problems are seen as part of the ownership experience

I think this is part of my hesitancy - I keep seeing posts on here where people seem to accept that things will go wrong. I am completely aware that other marques also have problems (and it's a bit random as to whether or not any one car will suffer) - but I don't see other forums ever thinking that is acceptable / a reasonable or normal part of running one to have faults. This seems to me the difficulty - everyone on every forum trots out the people without problems don't post their experience. But only here (and on the FFRR forum) have I seen the acceptance of problems as normality.

When the D3 was working properly I really enjoyed it - and, living on a farm, it is possibly the right car for me (I even used it for hauling a couple of tonnes of logs up the fields a couple of times). But I have the feeling that it's just too complex for its own good.

It's not so much the running costs as the hassle factor - I live about 1.5 miles from the nearest villages (in opposite directions), so an always usable car is a minimum requirement for school runs and the like.

And I accept that the lying dealer is not the car's fault - but when the next nearest LR dealer is a 40-minute drive away (Hillendale) then I hesitate again. And then when I see the cost of getting another one - eek - a 50% increase in base price in the last 5 or so years?

Edited to add - as an NFU farmer/grower member I could get a(n extra bit of) discount and a new XS is a bit tempting. Plus my 10 year old promised she would give me a tenner towards the cost of a disco if I get one...

Post #12469694th Mar 2014 1:10 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Top Gear last night - Porche the 'new one' - recalled as bursts into flame Shocked they have told Richard Hammond not to drive it.... Laughing

Fifth Gear - three cars recommended as 'older' vehicles to buy ...on each new episode .... what to watch out for by way of faults ..... Audi's etc - .. all have faults... Whistle each cost £100's and each vehicle prone to something Shocked

Made me laugh though that the D4 has faults as my D3 had loads as well Rolling with laughter but really enjoy the vehicle ... adds to its character Rolling Eyes

Post #12469724th Mar 2014 1:29 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I feel like a Land Rover owner because !!!

I know it and understand it, warts and all, and when it is problem free it is the best vehicle in the Universe.

But when it does have a problem, i get to post up on this forum about it and know will get a degree of support, help, appreciation, assistance and advice for the best and cheapest way to solve any problem that makes me feel far from alone.

And even when it is problem free, the degree of information and assistance to modify my Land Rover in any way i wish is second to none on this forum.

In essence i would say, i feel and appreciate owning a Land Rover mostly because of this forum and the community here that just happens to own a Land Rover Thumbs Up

Last edited by BBS SPY on 4th Mar 2014 7:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #12471684th Mar 2014 7:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Iguana

Ukraine 

+1 for that top answer BBS SPY Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #12471754th Mar 2014 7:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >