Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Do i extend the warrentee or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
race.it

Spain 
Do i extend the warrentee or not?

Ok, about to get a used Disco3 from a dealer, they are offering for me to extend the warranty for another 6 months, or 18 months, is it worth it? its a select warranty from LR direct.

They are giving me 6 months to start with, can you extend at any time in that 6 months or does it have to be at the start when you get the first lot?

Post #84968720th Oct 2011 2:23 pm
StaticMotion

Scotland 

In my opinion it's a gamble, you could and pay lots of money for nothing to happen or you could save that money in case something does and if it doesn't you're in pocket.

Loads of folks will have differing opinions but for me I looked at the price of a warranty and decided if I saved that money and cover most eventualities if they happened.

Plus from listening to others experiences of warranty companies - they want your money but they will look for any loophole they can to not pay if they can find one.

It's a personal thing and I'm sure you'll get lots of personal opinions but at the end of the day you just have to weigh up your own thoughts and take the plunge.

For me it's worked thus far, nothing apart from wear and tear items have needed work and I'd have paid thousands in warranties just to claim nada.

All the best with your choice - I think it comes down not to whether something will or will not happen but piece of mind. I don't need piece of mind at those prices I can just save some money every month in case and if nowt happens I've got mod money Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #85154825th Oct 2011 6:48 pm
race.it

Spain 

Thanks, I called the warranty people today and asked when i needed to purchase the extention, they sais anytime whilst the existing warranty was valid, but they would not confirm in writing, going to try again tomorrow, have a couple more days till i collect the car (that also was news to me today as i thought i would have it today)

Post #85155825th Oct 2011 6:59 pm
pcregeen

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It really is no difference to any other insurance or gambling. On my RRS I paid out and never saw a return. However this year I have paid 400 in premiums in total for a mondeo and a civic and have claimed well over a thousand pounds on both. Do I miss 40 quid a month. No. Would I have felt the two grand hit for repairs. You betcha. For me less about what is best cost effective method and more about monthly budgets. If your restrained enough to pit money away in a savings account then over a few years in theory you would win. My problem would be dipping into that savings when the next fashionable mod came out ( steering wheel or Bluetooth etc)
Thumbs Up Pete

Post #85161325th Oct 2011 8:43 pm
Dave T

England 

I wouldn't even consider it unless it had wear and tear cover. If it does then look very closely at what is included and excluded in the actual policy document.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #85174526th Oct 2011 7:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dleybourne

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I also had the 6 month warranty included by the dealer. I have since been sent a couple if reminders to renew for a further year. I have done so, as I needed to claim for a new gearbox that used up the full £3000 plus vat limited per claim.

I also found it cheaper than warranty direct.

Post #85284129th Oct 2011 3:33 pm
grizzlymac

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

As staticmotion says it's up to personal choice. last discovery came with extended dealer warranty and had a few small claims. ERG surprise surpirse. Extended it for a couple of years and never saw the garage again except for servicing. Money would have been better in my pocket BUT if something had gone wrong then I had cover. Nice if you can have the will power to put away so much a month just to cover costs but how many of us have that will power?
I think if your having niggle with it that would be covered extend but if nothing then put the money in the bank and take a chance.

Post #8547133rd Nov 2011 3:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >