Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Do I buy a D3?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone here, you HAVE to get a good dealer. It's not just the car, it's the people who look after and maintain it for you. Don't just go to the dealer that's closest to your home, have a look around and see who's recommended. Have a look at the dealer feedback part on this site, as well.

Our '54 reg was one of the first in the city and is now banging on 3 years old - yes, it did have a couple of hiccups but that was at the poor dealer. Stuck her in at a different dealer and she's worked like a dream since. It was really that simple.

Buy the D3 with confidence mate, you're gonna absolutely love it Thumbs Up

CY
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #14361127th Mar 2007 11:15 pm
Malcolm

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

JPW
As long as it is not GL55 SYO which was so bad LR replaced it I would buy one!! I am now on number 3 and have not had ( oh god I am not saying this) one single problem in the first 6 weeks and 4.5k miles
 Alive and kicking..who's round is it anyway ??  
Post #14363728th Mar 2007 5:11 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Wow Malcolm, I'm obviously not driving enough! That's some daily milage Thumbs Up

I've done a measley 3500 miles in 3 months, including a lot of school runs that have been a lot less than the 7 miles or so recommended to recharge the battery to cover what was used during starting. My battery is as a result consistently low at 11.5v to 12v and yet I only have one niggly fault with the door mirrors not remembering where they should park (for which there is now a TSB so I can get it fixed). So far I have not experienced any detrimental effects from my low battery even at minus 7C; a testament to the hardware and also to the new software that seems to have transformed most if not all cars since it's introduction last summer.

I personally couldn't recommend the D3 more, as it's the best I've ever owned and a hell of a lot better than my beloved 250BHP Volvo T5; words I thought I'd never utter as that was a hell of a good car with zero faults and a dangerous tendancy to go exactly where you wanted it to.

Advice above is very valid though; it's the dealer that makes the difference in your ownership experience. IF there are any issues, a bad dealer will make you regret ever buying the car, whereas a good dealer will make the issues seem minor compared to your enjoyment of ownership. Every make of car has it's bad builds, even German ones.

Remember that most forums will naturally report more faults that praise, simply because that's the place to go for help ans support when it all goes wrong.
Talking of which, the other major reason to buy this car is this forum - no doubt about it the best source of D3 related info available, period.

In my view, Go for it!.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Last edited by stapldm on 28th Mar 2007 8:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #14373728th Mar 2007 4:01 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

4 months / 9k miles and apart from a missing bit of minor trim, no problems at all
perma- Very Happy is starting to annoy Mrs. 10 now..... Rolling Eyes

Post #14375528th Mar 2007 4:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
roverdawg

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

I was one of the unlucky ones. My 2005 HSE had literally hundreds of suspension faults. Dreaded "BONG" 1-2 times a day. Went through two compressors and numerous other "fixes". It was definitely a known issue per the dealer but the solution was elusive. Finally, the updates B034 & B036, which upgraded software and swapped out a couple of bits did the trick. Not a single fault since (nearly 9 months). Would I buy again? Without a doubt. Superb vehicle.
 2005 LR3 HSE
1998 Disco (sold) 

Post #14379228th Mar 2007 6:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >