DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Hydrogen addition?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
LR3GuyJoe

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

London Lad wrote:
OK, just discussing here, not arguing Smile

Based on your explanation you can never get improved fuel efficiency ?

Lets say a D3 does 27mpg average. It then gets re mapped, the driver drives the same but experiences improved economy say 29mpg average.

Where did that come from ?

It comes from the remap using the fuel more effeciently. Although this could mean more stress on parts. Car manufactures have to juggle engine efficientency with longevity.

Post #40663121st Jan 2009 3:17 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

London Lad wrote:
OK, just discussing here, not arguing Smile

Based on your explanation you can never get improved fuel efficiency ?

Lets say a D3 does 27mpg average. It then gets re mapped, the driver drives the same but experiences improved economy say 29mpg average.

Where did that come from ?

No problem discussing Very Happy

Of course you can get efficiency gains (up to a point), usually limited by how unecessarily inefficient your starting point is. The point about hydrogen is that the hydrogen is being proposed as a fuel, "freely" obtained from water and will lead to an offset/reduction in diesel consumption. As expained this is impossible as the energy the D3 engine expends via the altenator is more than the energy content of the hydrogen produced so it cannot offset usage of diesel as the engine will consume more diesel to produce the hydrogen. And that assumes the diesel engine can usefull extract/use the energy in the hydrogen. So hydrogen cannot usefully act as a fuel in this scenario. That debate isn't really even about efficiency as such, its main claimed benefit is to substitute a free fuel for a costly fuel.

As we have both agreed, you can get efficiency gains from water injection - this is actually just the same efficiency gain as an intercooler gives, it just is more efficient as the water is very effective at reducing the charge temp, especially in turbo engines which generate more charge temp by the compression effect of the turbo. The limit of water injection is normally the amount of water you can carry, if used constantly it would require a fair amount, hence usually limited to full-throttle performance increases as with your Saab. The water injection uses a miniscule amount of electricity as a) it is only a pump and b) it only runs for short bursts at full throttle, hence there is a negligible amount of extra fuel burnt to get the effect hence a net, sizeable gain in output from the same engine size (different kind of efficiency, the hp/litre rises rather than mpg).

As the hydrogen system starts with water it would be better to just pump the water in rather than split the molecules and feed them in seperately....

Remaps. As the basic engine stays the same and only boost and fuelling (simplistically, there are a few other things that can have their operation altered) is altered a remap only gives performance that the manufacturer could have given if they chose to. Typically it is possible to get huge outputs from turbo charged engines in exchange for (very) short engine life. As an example David Vizard obtained >400hp/litre from a turbo 2L pinto in the 80's.....for about 20secs. Manufacturers have other considerations than outright engine efficiency, such as driveline longevity, warranty performance etc etc. Basically if they up the performance they will increase their warranty costs to some degree. In addition to their assessment of driveability and many other criteria they choose a level of tune appropriate to their needs. One of these criteria is that the LR tune must work all around the world, I haven't seen anyone suggest for instance that a UK remap on a TDV6 will be fine and dandy in the desert, under sustained usage in hot conditions the intercooler performance will be reduced as it works on there being a good differential temp between ambient and the charge passing through it. If you crank up the boost and fuelling via a remap AND subject it to the harshest conditions LR envisage then it may give problems as the charge temp rises. Mine won't go near the Saudi desert AND be towing a trailer at the same time in low range so I'm not worried but LR will be.

Having raised the boost and fuelling the engine will produce more torque and hence will be more efficient at lower engine speeds, the gearbox (or driver) adapts as the torqier engine has an easier time moving the car hence you get an efficiency gain.

Even LR retuned their D2 autos to give more torque as the poor driveablity was hitting sales and with no sales you don't have a warranty claim issue Smile

Did any of that help??
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #40664021st Jan 2009 3:36 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

wantsanlr3 wrote:
It comes from the remap using the fuel more effeciently. Although this could mean more stress on parts. Car manufactures have to juggle engine efficientency with longevity.

Oh crap, could I just have said that instead Rolling with laughter
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #40664121st Jan 2009 3:39 pm
LR3GuyJoe

simonsi wrote:
wantsanlr3 wrote:

Oh crap, could I just have said that instead Rolling with laughter
Thumbs Up  
Post #40669021st Jan 2009 4:50 pm
phurley

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

I don't think London Lad was actually asking how remaps work. I think he was challenging, rightly, your notions that the conservation of energy applies here. He's simply pointed out one example of how to increase efficiency from an engine without violating any thermodynamic principles.

Other examples include EGR (inert gas), oxygenate fuel additives (less chemical energy), combustion chamber design (higher compression ratio & shaped flame-front), exhaust flow design, etc.

Also, I think you may have overlooked that the chemical energy of fuel is not directly related to the mechanical work it can perform in an IC engine. More relevant factors are specific energy (potential energy relative to its stoichiometric air:fuel ratio), combustion products volume, flammability limits, flame speed and flame temperature.

What is relevant is whether any specific hydrogen generation system actually works in a vehicle. Granted, I have yet to see any respectable, independent validation that answers skeptical questions like,
    How does it affect the combustion chemistry?
    What volumes are necessary to produce the desired results?
    Does it force engine design changes?

However, that absence isn't definitive of the possibilities. The reality is that manufacturers have limited interest in producing more efficient vehicles (for a given purpose). There are a multitude of considerations, mostly centered around cost, that create so much inertia that progress is slow. In LR's case, for example, the more fuel-efficient TDV6 is not even available in the US - and they already make the car!

At least, it seems there are some volunteers...

Last edited by phurley on 21st Jan 2009 6:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #40673421st Jan 2009 6:08 pm
Googsy

Ireland 

Respect to the "Si" Bow down Bow down
 Googsy
2008 HSE TDV8

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder... 

Post #40674221st Jan 2009 6:18 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Simon,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to type a most interesting and informative post.

BUT the point I was making is maybe better put by phurley in his post.

At the end of the day it will be interesting to see how the device performs when Dunc gets it rigged up.

I am still not sure that your calculation of the 'cost' of the electrical energy is correct in this scenario, but as it looks like most people here are far better qualified than I am I think I'll wait, watch, listen and learn. Mr. Green
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #40674321st Jan 2009 6:18 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

phurley wrote:
I don't think London Lad was actually asking how remaps work. I think he was challenging, rightly, your notions that the conservation of energy applies here.

I think you'll find the law of energy conservation applies everywhere, its one of the fundamantal principles of physics.

phurley wrote:
Also, I think you may have overlooked that the chemical energy of fuel is not directly related to the mechanical work it can perform in an IC engine.

The chemical energy is usually far in excess of the work that can be usefully extracted by the ic engine, petrol is less than 40% efficient, diesel slightly better, I don't have figures for hydrogen but don't expect it to be much different. This makes the energy cost/benefit of hydrogen as a fuel when the electricity to generate the hydrogen is self-generated even worse. Hydrogen cars such as BMWs prototype assume cheap electricty from a grid source is used to obtain the hydrogen. Even then the hydrogen has a habit of escaping from the tank over time.... Very Happy

phurley wrote:
In LR's case, for example, the more fuel-efficient TDV6 is not even available in the US - and they already make the car!

Think that has more to do with market acceptability vs production volumes vs cost of approval of a different spec for the US market.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #40675821st Jan 2009 6:32 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

London Lad wrote:
I am still not sure that your calculation of the 'cost' of the electrical energy is correct in this scenario, but as it looks like most people here are far better qualified than I am I think I'll wait, watch, listen and learn. Mr. Green

Not my calc, that was from the guy who works with this stuff day-to-day Very Happy I agree with him though...
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #40676021st Jan 2009 6:34 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

If it works then it might be as the hydrogen works as a catalyst to improve the efficientcy rather then as a replacement fuel.

Just a thought, I have no knowledge on this subject at all.

We will see the test results.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #40677221st Jan 2009 6:42 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

simonsi wrote:
London Lad wrote:

Not my calc, that was from the guy who works with this stuff day-to-day Very Happy I agree with him though...

Opps sorry
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #40679021st Jan 2009 7:06 pm
LR3GuyJoe

phurley wrote:
I don't think London Lad was actually asking how remaps work. I think he was challenging, rightly, your notions that the conservation of energy applies here. He's simply pointed out one example of how to increase efficiency from an engine without violating any thermodynamic principles.

Other examples include EGR (inert gas), oxygenate fuel additives (less chemical energy), combustion chamber design (higher compression ratio & shaped flame-front), exhaust flow design, etc.

Also, I think you may have overlooked that the chemical energy of fuel is not directly related to the mechanical work it can perform in an IC engine. More relevant factors are specific energy (potential energy relative to its stoichiometric air:fuel ratio), combustion products volume, flammability limits, flame speed and flame temperature.

What is relevant is whether any specific hydrogen generation system actually works in a vehicle. Granted, I have yet to see any respectable, independent validation that answers skeptical questions like,
    How does it affect the combustion chemistry?
    What volumes are necessary to produce the desired results?
    Does it force engine design changes?

However, that absence isn't definitive of the possibilities. The reality is that manufacturers have limited interest in producing more efficient vehicles (for a given purpose). There are a multitude of considerations, mostly centered around cost, that create so much inertia that progress is slow. In LR's case, for example, the more fuel-efficient TDV6 is not even available in the US - and they already make the car!

At least, it seems there are some volunteers...

Well theres all kinds of wrongs in this but I'm just going to pick out one and I think you will find that the first law of thermo applies to everything in life and for that matter death too Very Happy

chemical energy of fuel is totally directly related to the mechanical work it can perform in an IC engine. You cant get any more energy out of it then its capable of producing and If you can figure out a way to do that You would probably create peace on earth...

ok maybe two...

As far as the TDV6 goes americans in general have a bad taste for diesel they picture black smoke comming out of old rattly mercs, and also I dont believe the TDV6 meets US epa standards and then theres also issue of our low sulfur diesel.

Post #40680621st Jan 2009 7:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >