Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Hydraulic Winch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Hydraulic Winch

I've fitted my Milemarker to the ARB winch bar but have yet to design a mount to hang the dedicated pump on the front of the TDV6, this doesn't appear to be an easy job although I have the beginnings of an idea which needs expanding.
Has anyone fitted a hydraulic winch to the TDV6?

Post #16173126th May 2007 11:29 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

PM Chris Tyler Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #16173526th May 2007 11:43 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Richard,
As mentioned elswhere Wink i'm looking into an electrically driven hydraulic pump solution, this is due to the 6l/min limitation of the PS pump, i'm hoping to get a minimum of 24l/min @140 bar 8)

Post #16184426th May 2007 10:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
ElectroHydraulic Pump

TFC

Still not sure about the electric pump, by my calculations 24ltrs @ 140 bar would require 526Amp at 12volts.

"ya kanney change the laws of phisics Jim"

I still think the answer is a engine mounted pump, although where to fit it in a mistery to me.

The story continues
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Last edited by christyler on 27th May 2007 12:00 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #16188026th May 2007 11:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It'd still give you at least 10mins of fast winching, which would in most situations be enough to get unstuck, so wouldn't it be useful from that perspective? I'm assuming the PS pump could still be used for when the battery is flattened?
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #16188126th May 2007 11:45 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

At the end of the day it does not matter which method we use to power the winch. Its going to be a compromise because Land Rover have not given us an option. we don't a PTO or room in the engine bay for a belt driven pump Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #16190527th May 2007 8:36 am
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

At this stage I have an idea where I may be able to hang my pump but I have to find a little time to go into it a bit further.
BTW my pump came from 4x4 winches (Alfred Marks if I remember correctly) so it is a modified Disco pump.

Must admit it annoys me to have the winch installed with no power to it

Post #16192727th May 2007 10:54 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Chris,
I agree that the power has to come from somewhere.... 2kW (for example) is still 2kW whether it comes from a direct drive pump or an electrically driven pump... Wink

Post #16205427th May 2007 10:43 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I was looking at the milemarker UK importer website clicky and saw they do a "motherboard" for bulding up your own winch mount.

I'm half tempted to order one (only £35) to see what I would need to add to fit it in a "discrete" mount behind the bumper. Anyone else looked at this idea?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #16225228th May 2007 9:18 pm
outback traveller

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Ox Hydraulic Winch from TJM

I am about to have an 9500lb Ox Hydraulic winch supplied by TJM in Australia fitted to a 2007 TDV6 D3. I believe the Ox winch is a rebranded Milemarker unit.
TJM are using my machine as a an R&D platform to design a new bull bar for the D3. They were going to produce a standard hose kit for their hydraulic winch but shelved the idea because they cannot source an alternative for a custom made threaded fitting LR use. TJM are planning to braze a T piece into my PS hydraulic line to join the hydraulic line to the winch.

I am now concerned that the PS pump will not be powerful enough to deliver the required winch performance. I thought the D3 PS pump delivered around 12lpm not 6. What are the implications on winch performance if the PS pump only delivers 6lpm?

Post #16852220th Jun 2007 1:43 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It will just run slower but you get the power.
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #16853320th Jun 2007 6:48 am
christyler

Re: Ox Hydraulic Winch from TJM

outback traveller wrote:
What are the implications on winch performance

the implications are that the winch will run slower than an electric one, it will how ever not run you batterys down and the pull from it will be constant regardless of how much cable is on the drum.

As long as you are using the winch for recovery, it will be fine. Just dont enter any winching compertitions

there is no need to braze a "t" piece into the pipe. you can just use standard connectors. If you use a "T" then what are you going to do with the return pipe ?

the power steering pump will be powerful enough to do the job, I have had this working on my D3 for nearly a year now, no problems.

Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.

Post #16856720th Jun 2007 9:41 am
outback traveller

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the advice. I am out of my depth here so I hope the following makes some sense.

The TJM guys said that they would normally replace a threaded fitting with a threaded T to run the hydraulic line to the winch. For some reason they did not explain, the fitting they wanted to replace was a unique design that they could not match with a T. I assume the return line to the reservoir was not a problem.
 I am no longer seeking the truth, I am now looking for a good fantasy.  
Post #16861320th Jun 2007 12:05 pm
Non Stick Nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
electric versus hydraulic

The debate on electric & hydraulic is well aired here and elsewhere.
Don't forget that they both rely to some extent or other on a belt driven from the engine.
In the hyraulic case for direct power to the pump & in the electric case the run alternator, without which there is limited capacity for prolonged winching.
There is also only so much power you can put throug a belt.
A mate of mine had a dedicated pump that ran from a chain drive off of the crank pulley. Very quick it was too, till the chain broke!.
I have had all types of winch in the past ( including a capstan on an old rangey) & it's horse for courses I am afraid.
On balance on useage, cost, ease of instalation, simplicity, etc blah blah blah, I have gone for electric on my D3.
Regards
Non Stick Nick
 I am a hob nobber.  
Post #16861620th Jun 2007 12:21 pm
christyler

outback traveller wrote:

The TJM guys said that they would normally replace a threaded fitting with a threaded T to run the hydraulic line to the winch.

My point is why a "T" anyway, i just cut the hp line and put the two ends into the solonoid block, no messing with "T",s and no messing with return lins and having to get it in to the reservoir.

the winch solonoids simply bypass themself when not winching.

Post #16868220th Jun 2007 2:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >