Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Hunter Tracking on worn tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Hunter Tracking on worn tyres

Morning all, hope you're all well!

So I had the misfortune of replacing my front lower wishbones on Sunday in the rain, not the first time, this is the third set I've changed, the other 2 times were on my last D4..

Anyway.. It was booked into Inchcape Derby on Monday for some overdue warranty work and I managed to convince them to do the tracking FOC šŸ˜‰

So the guy calls me yesterday and said..

'Well we can track it, but there's no point..'

I was slightly confused so obviously I asked why..

'because your tyres have some uneven wear on the front doi g the tracking will make no difference..'

I felt my blood pressure start to rise slightly..

I went on to tell him that the tracking has little to do with the tyres, the equipment is fitted against the rims, as putti g it on the tyres would be stupid..

Of course I will have the tyres replaced after the tracking is done (a nice set of general AT3s)

He said he advises me to get the tyres done before I have the tracking done as it'll just scrub out the new tyres.

I said I'm not going to drive any distance on my new tyres having changed the lower arms and know that the tracki g is way out..

I wondered what the concensus was on tracking while on worn/ uneven tyres..

I'm a Scania Master Technician and I'm sure I'm right, but wondered what people's views were, and maybe Discos fall under different rules to normal?

Also just to add coal to the fire, its been booked in since October for the gear selector illumination, so a new module.. He called yesterday and told me the module is on back order Banging Head

Thanks all!
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #227895415th Feb 2022 12:05 pm
AG2021

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Iā€™m far from an expert but had a similar experience with a cheap set of tyres that were put on the vehicle just before I bought it. They were cheap and started to wear unevenly pretty much straight away so had the hunter tracking done before putting new tyres on all round and they just told me (not LR) that the car may pull a little due to the uneven wear until you get the new tyres on. This it did but is perfect now with new rubber and there is no uneven tyre wear and no need to redo the tracking.

Post #227895815th Feb 2022 1:17 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If the tyres are worn uneven, and not sitting correctly on the road (or alignment pad) surface, the alignment will be carried out to that set of tyres

When you come to put another set of tyres on, the alignment will then be thrown out
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #227896315th Feb 2022 1:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >