Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Why HSE?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

ASFAIR the SE seats have 6 positions of adjustment and the HSE have 8 (The S and base models have 2, uncomfortable and really uncomfortable)

As I see it when choosing what spec it comes down to do you want the car you want or do you care more about resale values. Buy an HSE, you'll get most of the toys anyway and possibly resale it easier but spend more money getting it and if you don't want an auto you'll take a £1500 hit
I bought an S, specced it up and still paid a lot less then I would have for an SE), and no, I'm not fussed about resale values, I bought the D3 I wanted not the one that whoever buys it afterwards may want. Would I do it again? Yes but I'd get it completely built to order with the kit I want without caring about the badge on the back
 The End  
Post #11981715th Jan 2007 5:17 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Slimer wrote:
ASFAIR the SE seats have 6 positions of adjustment and the HSE have 8

Ho Hum...... Looks like I'm wrong......again Embarassed

This is very interesting as, despite having nice seats in my SE, I have often felt that I haven't got completely comfortable in them. Anyone with an HSE care to comment on the exact difference. Question

Post #11981815th Jan 2007 5:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

I regularly drive my parents' SE and my HSE, I notice no difference (theirs is an auto) For me the auto, Xenons and rear aircon are must haves, the PTI is very nearly a must have. The glass roof is not a deal breaker IMO. The fridge a waste of time Confused I therefore feel that the HSE is a good buy
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #11981915th Jan 2007 5:28 pm
oliver77

Wales 

rear air con is important for me. The fridge does keep baby milk fresh, the seats have better adjustment than the SE but most of all the wheels are good. I prefer the S wheels to the SE.

Post #11982515th Jan 2007 5:49 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

oliver77 wrote:
I prefer the S wheels to the SE.
Me too The End  
Post #11982615th Jan 2007 5:50 pm
woolwich_gunner

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had originally ordered an XS and specced it up with leather, PTI, Privacy and HSE wheels - price was £33K. I have just been offered an 07 SE for £33K - with metallic, Auto and PTI - £6.5K off of list price and will be worth approx £2 - 3K more than the XS when I sell in 3 years - and I'm taking it! I am not lucky enough to not have to worry about what it will be worth when I come to sell - the heart often rules when buying a car - I fell in love with the LR brand, image, off road capability, drive, etc, but the huge discount I got will pay for my fuel, RLF and insurance costs over the next 3 years. I would have loved an HSE (hence why I am running around like an idiot trying to get HSE wheels!) but the best deal I could get on a HSE was £37K. For me, the SE is a perfect compromise.

Post #11982715th Jan 2007 5:55 pm
woolwich_gunner

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Slimer wrote:
oliver77 wrote:
I prefer the S wheels to the SE.
Me too

06SE wheels were fine - 07 ones crappy!

Post #11982915th Jan 2007 5:57 pm
Pelyma

England 

Sounds great and that is it in a nutshell - what suits you.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #11983015th Jan 2007 5:58 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Quote:
Wow..... 7mm extra for the driver and 30mm for all the passengers at the back. Doubt if that 7mm would make a huge difference to a 6'7" driver but I suppose anything is better than nothing. Wink

You'd be amazed at the difference even a few mm can make in a car to a tall person. Very often for me, it can mean the difference between being able to drive it or not. The new Porsche 911 is a classic example, I could never comfortably drive or even drive at all, older 911's. The current 997 model I can drive in comfort despite there being only a few mm difference in extra space & height
In the D3 30mm in the rear means the difference between me being able to use the seats or not. 7mm extra in the front means that my hair doesn't touch the headlining. I don't have an "afro" either Wink

Post #11984715th Jan 2007 7:50 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

JMC wrote:
Slimer wrote:
ASFAIR the SE seats have 6 positions of adjustment and the HSE have 8

Ho Hum...... Looks like I'm wrong......again Embarassed

This is very interesting as, despite having nice seats in my SE, I have often felt that I haven't got completely comfortable in them. Anyone with an HSE care to comment on the exact difference. Question

Yes, for me (with long legs) the difference is in under thigh support. With the S & (iirc) SE models that I've driven, I feel as if I'm slipping forward all the time. With the HSE, I can adjust the front edge of the seat to tip me back into the seat. For me it makes a huge difference, infact I doubt if I would have got a D3, certainly not as a "business" car anyway, if it didn't have this adjustment.
Of course for others it can make no noticeable difference at all.
The only way to see is to go for a long drive in an HSE.

Post #11985215th Jan 2007 8:00 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well, I'm more than happy with my SE spec, didn't feel I needed the extras of the HSE. But felt it was worth the extra over the S. The auto box though was my main addittion, and well worth it!
At the end of the day..'each to his own'
Java Black
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #11986715th Jan 2007 8:26 pm
Renquist

United Kingdom 

I've been looking at the SE but some of the toys in the HSE are quite interesting nothing to really swing it in the favor of the HSE outright but still nice to have, not sure what to go for but the SE looks like a good deal really, time and a test drive will no doubt tell.

Post #11987415th Jan 2007 8:40 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

We got an SE and put the Alpine roof on after, and put an Auto 'box in. Came with Xneons. Having been in the HSE at LRE; couldn't see much difference from our point of view between our specced up SE and the HSE Confused
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #11994215th Jan 2007 10:43 pm
mrmarklin

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

Pelyma wrote:
The fridge a waste of time Confused I therefore feel that the HSE is a good buy

To each his own!!! Shocked

The fridge was a must for me as I spend a lot of time off road in the warmer months, and having a cool beverage handy without having to carry a small ice chest was just what I was looking for in a new vehicle!!! Used it just last weekend, and it was very handy-and no messing with ice. It's also good on longer road trips for keeping the beverage cool, I find that I really have not used all the can and cup holders available yet. But I'm a new owner, I'm sure my time will come.

As an aside, I got every option available here in the US on my vehicle. They're all great and I've found in past vehicles I've owned that all the goodies are really, really, nice! 8)
 '06 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Heavy Duty package, Satellite Radio, Luxury Package  
Post #12002716th Jan 2007 12:23 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

LT wrote:
Quote:
Wow..... 7mm extra for the driver and 30mm for all the passengers at the back. Doubt if that 7mm would make a huge difference to a 6'7" driver but I suppose anything is better than nothing. Wink

You'd be amazed at the difference even a few mm can make in a car to a tall person. Very often for me, it can mean the difference between being able to drive it or not.

Amen brother!
(fellow 6'-7" driver who cannot fit in most passenger vehicles on the road today)

Post #12006416th Jan 2007 3:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >