Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

HPFP issues? - solved
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Kelman70

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

that's a pity that it hasn't worked and solved the issue,

i check my LPFP today 4.2amps and approx4-5psi and plenty flow. so then went ahead and stripped out the HPFP and will be sent to pf jones tommorw for overhaul, what a nightmare that oil separator is to remove.

got the timing belt and steering column joint to replace so that should keep me busy until the pump is returned

Post #224633012th Aug 2021 10:46 pm
SomersetTaz

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Probably barking up the wrong tree but....

Just been going over the history of my fuel pressure HDC issue. It turns out my problems started shortly after changing my lead acid battery for an AGM. It's probably a red herring but could the AGM cause ECU related issues that result in the HDC faults and that then trigger the low pressure fault. In other words the HDC faults first and so the low fuel pressure fault code is a symptom and not the cause. Viewing the IID log, at the point of the "Bong" the rail pressure was 1200 bar which in theory is healthy.
Any thoughts most welcome. Cheers

Post #224636013th Aug 2021 8:45 am
Kelman70

Any hdc faults I’ve had in the past for brake bulbs etc have never thrown up fuel issue code
The first time I had the fuel pressure fault I changed the fuel filter and it solved the issue, 18months later it was back changed the filter again and sorted it for a few weeks and it’s back with a vengeance.

I’m hoping I’ve diagnosed the Hpfp as being the cause

Post #224637113th Aug 2021 10:02 am
SomersetTaz

I'm I going down the right path - Fuel or Transmission/CAN?

An update, the Disco now has another (genuine filter) and it was no better. It now has a new LPFP (£900 ouch!) Test results appear to be much better - 7psi dropping to 2 at 3000 rpm with good flow. However, on first test the car faulted again. Again going up a slight gradient at about 50mph. However, the previously consistent P0087 "rail pressure too low" code does not now come up. I've driven the car several times and these are the codes I get each time from the IID:

Engine TDV6
P0489-00 (2F) Exhaust gas recirculation control - circuit low (note: EGR is blanked)
P2290-00 (2C) Injector control pressure too low
Parking Brake
U0100-87 (A8) Lost communication with engine control module/powertrain control module 'A' - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
( on 19-08-2021 18:32:28 at 124809 mi )
Suspension
U0416-86 (26) Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics control module - Bus signal/message failure - signal is invalid
( on 19-08-2021 18:32:36 at 124811 mi )
Transmission
U2023-86 (26) Control module network signal calibration data - Bus signal/message failure - signal is invalid
( on 19-08-2021 18:32:28 at 124809 mi )

I'm considering biting the bullet and now going to get the HPFP changed on the assumption that the P2290-00 (2C) "Injector control pressure too low" is the cause and the suspension lowering etc is just a symptom of the car going into a sort of limp mode. Please could the gurus out there let me know whether changing the HPFP is the logical next step on the basis of the P2290-00 fault code being the fault that's triggering the limp mode/suspension lowering.

I would be very fed up if after changing the HPFP the problem turns out not to be fuel pressure related, but instead triggered by a transmission issue (see power train codes U0100-87 and U2023-86). Many thanks Taz

Post #224748220th Aug 2021 11:53 am
Kelman70

Well if you do go down the route of a replacement HPFP i would highly recommend PF Jones for overhaul. They currently don’t have any exchange units available but turned my pump
Around in 1 day. And comes with 12months vdo/Siemens warranty.

I’m just in the process of refitting it all and I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a successful result

I wouldn’t stress too much on the transmission faults as these are usual suspects when a limp mode occurs.

Martin

Post #224751020th Aug 2021 4:27 pm
SomersetTaz

Thanks Martin,
Fingers crossed for you. Are you going to change the belt and tensioner while you're at it? Taz

Post #224751620th Aug 2021 5:32 pm
Kelman70

Yeah done the belt and tensioner, also did the main timing belt and tensioner and the intermediate steering shaft whilst I was waiting for the pump to come back.

The list is getting longer though needs new front discs and brake lines before MOT time

Post #224751820th Aug 2021 6:02 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Might be worth having a chat with MatcherMike.
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/sale-discov...96773.html
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #224752620th Aug 2021 6:40 pm
Kelman70

i wish id seen that before spending twice as much on a rebuild but tbh can't complain as i now have a fully warranted pump for 12months.

so disco is now back in action, haven't been overly far in it to fully test but so far so good. I'm going for a 60odd mile round trip tommorow so will see if it makes it without another limp mode issue.

one thing i have noticed since fitting the pump, prior to pump change the engine was pretty noisy and could hear a strange metallic rattle on both acceleration and deceleration. this has now disappeared completely initially i thought this was maybe the turbo vanes rattling but have heard that HPFP's can get noisy too.

only issue i have encountered now is that i believe my heater matrix is blocked as i'm only getting hot air on the drivers side of the car, initially thought it was air locked but have bled the system numerous times and no air is left. it could have been like this before and only just noticed though!!

Post #224771221st Aug 2021 9:50 pm
Kelman70

been a few weeks now and disco has been running well with no limp mode since change out of the HPFP, the unusual rattling noise on lift off has re-appeared after a few days so may be the turbo vanes after all.

Got to say the car seems far more responsive since fitting the new pump however comparing graphs from old to new pump on the GAP tool doesnt suggest any massive step changes in any of the readings.

I will likley chnage the LPFP out over winter when i take the car off the road for a bit of a refresh just for peace of mind.

Post #22497565th Sep 2021 6:56 am
SomersetTaz

Martin glad the car is running well now. Having had two new filters and a new LPFP fitted by an Indy then all fuel lines checked (by main dealer - ouch!!) it's now booked in for a HPFP change - back to the Indy. Will let the forum know the result.

Post #225166716th Sep 2021 12:12 pm
SomersetTaz

Finally fixed - a summary

I know I've already posted some of this information but thought a summary of the saga with my D3 might be helpful.
Original Symptoms:
Starts, runs and returns excellent mpg. Under moderate throttle all’s fine. After warming up and when under increasing throttle going uphill it will fault: Chime, no throttle response, decaying revs, suspension warning and suspension lowering. Stop, turn off ignition restart and suspension goes back to normal and drive off ok again.
Work done and fault code progression:
Independent tested fuel system on their diagnostic tool – all figures indicated normal and in spec. I tested the LPFP supply pressure at the Schrader and it was only 3 psi! Decided to change fuel filters. First an aftermarket one then after reading the forum I changed it for second time - this time a LR one. No change. Below were the consistent fault codes from my GAP IID:
Engine TDV6
• P0087-00 (2C) Fuel rail/system pressure - too low
Instrument Pack
• U0132-87 (2C) Lost communication with ride level control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
Parking Brake
• U0100-87 (A8) Lost communication with engine control module/powertrain control module 'A' - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
Suspension
• U0416-86 (26) Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics control module - Bus signal/message failure - signal is invalid
Transmission
• U2023-86 (26) Control module network signal calibration data - Bus signal/message failure - signal is invalid
Independent then recommended changing the LPFP which they did. Now 7 psi at the Schrader. However, first drive with the new LPFP fitted the car faulted again with the same symptoms as above. Fault codes were consistently:
Engine TDV6
• P2290-00 (2C) Injector control pressure too low
Parking Brake
• U0100-87 (A8) Lost communication with engine control module/powertrain control module 'A' - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
Suspension
• U0416-86 (26) Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics control module - Bus signal/message failure - signal is invalid
Transmission
• U2023-86 (26) Control module network signal calibration data - Bus signal/message failure - signal is invalid
Note that the original “P0087-00 (2C) Fuel rail/system pressure - too low” had gone and replaced by “P2290-00 (2C) Injector control pressure too low”.
Over to the Main Dealer to diagnose just in case it was something we'd not thought of. They checked the electrics that fuel lines are clear. This involved dropping the fuel tank again. They reported all electrics/comms etc (all ok) fuel lines clear and recommended the HPFP was changed. Back to the Independent, changed the HPFP and hey presto – no faults.
So, £2700 later all fixed. I can’t be sure, but I’m trying to convince myself that in terms of spare parts used I only wasted one fuel filter as the LPFP was starting to give up and the HPFP was definitely unserviceable. For Disco3 owners it’s a shame that it is so difficult to definitively pin the faults to the HPFP. RANT WARNING! Also, how on earth did the LR design the car to “fault” in such a seriously dangerous manner. Why not have a normal limp mode limited to a few miles instead of the engine dying and suspension lowering??? RANT OVER. Thanks to all those who provided advice – I hope this long winded summary helps others. Cheers Taz

Post #22550633rd Oct 2021 4:49 pm
Kelman70

Great to hear you finally got it fixed, and like you say potentially not that much money wasted as majority of parts changed were justifiable. I guess its just human that everyone would go for the cheapest fixes first but often end up having to dig deep in the long run. especially with how difficult it is to diagnose the issues caused by the HPFP. I love my disco but you have to wonder at times what LR were thinking in regards to why the slightest little thing shuts the car down completely, brake bulb/switch etc. luckily my wife is well trained in the use of the GAP tool and can reset codes etc if it ever happens when i'm working away. shes been in the car when its happened to know what will happen and prepare to stick the hazards on and pull in if possible

My LPFP is only providing 4.5PSI ish at the moment and regardless of the fact the car is running ok with no faults i will be changing this out when i carry out an underbody refresh in the next month or so just for peace of mind.

Post #22561169th Oct 2021 7:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >