DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Hill starts on Ice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Hill starts on Ice

No, not another IQ draining TV program.

I went and had a 30 minute play in the last snow to practice extreme driving (I'd had enough practice of normal snow and ice). I chose a lane near to me where I knew it was going to be dicey and headed up it.

Click image to enlarge

I parked here because I wanted to practice hill starts on ungritted ice. The picture doesn't show it, but that hill is approx 1:6 and has 3" fresh snow over hard packed snow/ice. I was there for some time!
I have almost new ATRs on the car which have proved unbeatable on the normal roads, much much better than the Zeros on snow and ice (and tarmac and mud and clay and shingle and water and and...).

I tried :
Gentle acceleration, Normal, High-D. Tyres span, no movement.
Gentle acceleration, Normal, High-2. Tyres span, no movement.
Medium acceleration, Normal, High-2. Tyres span, no movement.

Gentle acceleration, GGS, Low-D. Tyres gently span and moved forward about 1", but otherwise no movement.
Medium acceleration, GGS, Low-D. Tyres span harder and car swayed side to side as Traction control shifted power left-right-left-right, but otherwise no forward movement.
Hard acceleration, GGS, Low-D. Only did this once as I didn't want to wear tyres or shock the transmission. Tyres took off at speed with no forward motion, and the car didn't realise it had no grip so no traction control effects either.

Gentle acceleration, GGS, High-2. Tyres span hard and car swayed side to side as Traction control shifted power left-right-left-right, but otherwise no forward movement.
Medium acceleration, GGS, High-2. Tyres span hard and car occasionally swayed side to side as Traction control sometimes shifted power left-right-left-right, but otherwise no forward movement.

Gentle acceleration, GGS, Low-1. Tyres gently span and moved forward about 1", but otherwise no movement.
Gentle acceleration, GGS, Low-2. Tyres gently span and moved forward about 2", but otherwise no movement.
Gentle acceleration, GGS, Low-2, rocking wheel hard left and right. Tyres gently span and car swayed from side to side of the road depending on direction of steering wheel but otherwise no noticeable forward movement. Occasional shouts from traction control.
Medium acceleration, GGS, Low-D, gentle dabbing at brake with left foot. Tyres span gently/hard and car swayed side to side as Traction control shifted power. Dabs of brake caused the car to re-assess what it was doing, and resulted in small leaps forward, followed by slides back. No actual forward movement.

Finally, the working formula:
Gentle repeated acceleration building up a forward/back rocking motion, GGS, Low-2. Tyres gently span and traction control occasionally intervened. Getting the timing right on the deadened GGS accelerator made it tricky, but eventually found the right rhythm and the car rocked forwards/back about eight times and then slowly, gently continued up the hill at which point the traction systems were doing their nuts. After about the 5MPH mark, traction control calmed down a lot and it turned into an easy drive again. Momentum is definitely a friend when going uphill!

When I got to the top I got out and enjoyed the view/air/birds/foxes/isolation for a spell, then turned around to practice my slippery descent driving. I stopped (I still don't believe it could) at the place where I was stuck on the way up, and could see that the tyres never made it down to the tarmac. Each time a tyre had spun it had flicked off the snow and polished the ice underneath completely smooth. There were several tyre diameter polished arches in the road.

Used a mix of HDC and ABS on the way down (preferred HDC to ABS as although going slightly faster, the steering seemed much more precise). No dramas here, though the steering wheel controls seemed to make bu99er all difference to the set descent speed.

Overall been chuffed to bits with the car. Not only has it not put a foot wrong whilst navigating treacherous conditions and recovering other cars from surfaces I couldn't even stand up on, but even when I get it stuck on purpose it still finds a way of getting going without me having to open the bag of grit in the back.

LandRover designers and builders - A big thank you. This car delivers way more than advertised Thumbs Up Bow down
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #58114914th Jan 2010 12:35 pm
smaskins

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Interesting experiment... how about with traction control off?
Up you go again Wink

Post #58116214th Jan 2010 12:48 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This made me smile as I did a similar test the other day Laughing Thumbs Up The hill I stopped on was a bit steeper though, at the point I did it (I found the steepest bit Confused ), it was probably a 1:4-5

The rocking motion definately is the way forward to get enough momentum to keep going, but once going, unbeatable!

ISTR I used GGS High 2, but it might even have been just GGS High D.

Coming down the same hill I use HDC as it is soooo much smoother drive down than braking Thumbs Up

Oh, I also tried it in Sand mode DSC off just for fun and that was interesting as I just slid backwards Laughing
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #58118114th Jan 2010 1:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Guy

United Kingdom 

Let me guess... The lane from Hinton Parva up to the Ridgeway?

Post #58118914th Jan 2010 1:23 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Nah, that's miles away from me Guy.... Whistle Whistle Laughing
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #58119114th Jan 2010 1:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Guy

United Kingdom 

Well it's not The Burway... Wink

Post #58119714th Jan 2010 1:28 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

HDC? Screw that. GGS Low 2 (Low 1 if really bad but be prepared to knock it into 2 if you start to slide under engine braking as acceleration in Low1 is far from smooth, even with GGS on) and take it down on (or off) the throttle as you see fit. More chance you can maintain steering and use hedge/ditch/bank if it all goes Pete Tong than if you use brakes or HDC.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #58120214th Jan 2010 1:37 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Horses for courses Cider boy! Mr. Green
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #58120914th Jan 2010 1:42 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Did you try holding the EPB switch up for a few seconds before moving off ?

This sets the EPB to only release when it deems there is enough rev action to pull you up the slope. Hill start mode effectively.

Its far better than it releasing as soon as you squeeze the go peddle.

Seems to help when pulling away on slippery slopes.

I think the main issue was your polishing the road with repeated tries though. Reversing back a bit each time may have helped - assuming you have road space to do so of course.

Post #58125614th Jan 2010 2:34 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Not Tried that one Simon, will give it a go when I get the chance Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #58126514th Jan 2010 2:45 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It may on MY2008 onwards though from memory...

Post #58126914th Jan 2010 2:46 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

i did a similar experiment. went up a 3 in 1 slope close to home with about 7cm of snow on top of ice

High ratio, auto, normal TR.

pulled away without any problems or wheel spin Thumbs Up

but then I had "Proper" tyres on Whistle Wink

is it worht doing a night event down wiltshire way, or is it all melting Big Cry
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #58127214th Jan 2010 2:49 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

All melting. Big Cry

Post #58128414th Jan 2010 2:59 pm
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

3 in 1 Shocked best I ever managed was a 1 in 3 must be hellish tyres Rolling with laughter
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #58128714th Jan 2010 3:01 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

smaskins wrote:
... how about with traction control off?
how do you suggest turning it off then? Wink The End  
Post #58129414th Jan 2010 3:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >