Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Hi! New to forum, and my first post is for technical help :(
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Hi! New to forum, and my first post is for technical help :(

So, hello all, and I became the proud owner of a 2005 LR3 2.7 v6 HSE.

And she looks gorgeous, with only 83k on the clock.

But, and it’s a few big buts, I’m rapidly discovering that land rovers have character.

I’ve found a few things that I wasn’t quite up to speed on when I checked it out.

1: passenger footwell slightly damp at est drive.

No smell in car. Carpet clean. But, now I got her, the plastic trim over the sill is missing a few spring clips, and reaching under and the rubber is sodden.squeeze and it drips water. Water pooling in the cill channel that carries the wiring looms.

My initial thought, on buying, was it was the A pillar clips and so forth, so planned on getting the DHB500400. Did that today, and the odywork under the pillars was indeed rank, with good evidence of dirty water, both top locating pins snapped, most body panel clips without rubber seals, and the lower locating pins still present and the rubbers saturated.

So, installed that kit after cleaning everything, and managed to resolve the issue with the top locating pins,but after test driving I’m still getting water pooling in the fill wiring loom channel.

2: steering wheel switches (cruise control, mode, volume, next/previous) don’t work.

The switches light up, and the horn works. I’ve gotten criuse control to engage three times (give or take) but mostly doesn’t.

Volume/mode/next/previous/voice command don’t work at all, although lit and horn works.

Took the airbag out today, unclipped and reclipped the connections. No sign of corrosion.

Still don’t work. Means I can’t adjust any of the Instumment panel settings, let alone anything else.

3: front parking sensors don’t work.

Rear ones are fine, but front .... had a beep today, but that’s it and not sure why.

Yesterday, driving in town, had a couple of random unexplained beeps in heavy traffic, and slow going, and a cyclist, but the beep was from the front, not the back, and different pitch to rear parking sensors.

4: or suspension seems questionable.

Tried putting it in access mode last night, and it kept saying lowering and then auto-rising to off-Road.

Tried playing with it two days ago, when engine off, and on raising it, the don’t drivers irbag started flashing red on the 4x4 display.

Turned engine on, and tried again, and all good. But had in mind that it should work on battery?

5: 4x4 display compass not available.

Pushed the soft key for the compass, and it tells me it’s not available.

Is it an extra? With gps working would have thought it should work.

So, she drives very nicely, though fuel consumption and acceleration are not as good as i had expected.

Getting 20-25 mpg for a diesel, and was expecting 11.5 to 60moh, in sport mode at least, but not sure it’s that quick. My old Honda CR-V 2.0 Petrol manual seems a lot quicker, but on paper should be slower.

As for water Ingress, pollen filter is dry, and I’m half way through stripping passanger side to get to the sunroof drain hose. Currently have carpet lifted and bags of rice in old socks to soak up water!

Could really use some advice/pointers/reassurance-I-haven’t-made-a-massive-mistake as right now my joy of my first landy is turning pretty sour.

Please help?

Last edited by XDAndy on 18th Jan 2018 1:05 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #190283017th Jan 2018 11:01 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

4x4 info screen compass works only if you’re in off road navigation mode

Post #190284317th Jan 2018 11:11 pm
kajtzu

I would kindly suggest you got yourself a decent diagnostic tool such as IIDtool BT so you can see what the vehicle systems think they’re doing or what faults you might have. There are many others but IID is what the majority of this forum would (probably) suggest. It isn’t the cheapest but arguably it is the most useful if you intend to keep your vehicle.

I would start reading fault codes and go from there.

There might also be someone close to you who could assist and provide a reading, I’m guessing I’m too far. Thumbs Up

Post #190284617th Jan 2018 11:17 pm
kajtzu

One of the parking sensors in the front could be faulty which, I think, makes them all broken. I haven’t had that but I remember reading it somewhere here on he forum. You might want to search the archives. In any case I would imagine there would be a fault code registered if they don’t work...

Post #190284917th Jan 2018 11:20 pm
kajtzu

And welcome! Thumbs Up

Post #190285317th Jan 2018 11:22 pm
BAZ8046

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Hi and welcome to the forum.
The water ingress could be a few issues.
The plastic trim under the windscreen can warp and allow water past which can then flow in to the pollen filter.
If the pollen filter is dry then it is probably the sunroof drain.
On the older cars they rot at the end where they pass through the bulkhead, the drain then falls back in to the car.
Unfortunately this is behind the cjb on the passenger side and difficult to get to.
The steering wheel controls is probably an issue with the clock spring with some wires being broken.
Hope this helps Thumbs Up

D4 2016 Landmark, Waitomo Grey.
D3 2005 HSE, Bonatti Grey, now sold but still comes back for servicing.
Defender 2002 Td5 Commercial, had a hard life but slowly being restored.
I only work so I can afford to repair my Land Rovers! 

Post #190286718th Jan 2018 12:00 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi and Welcome.

1. I would say almost certainly sunroof related. If the water is coming in rapidly after drying, then the rubber elbow behind the CJB, behind lower glove box, it takes the water from the sunroof drain, to the outside of the car, is possibly perished. Quite a big job to fix unfortunately. Could also be aircon drain that's blocked.

2. Clock Spring faulty. Quite a common problem.

3. Probably a chafed wiring loom behind the front bumper. Need to remove bumper to check.

4. Needs diagnostic (IId tool is ideal) to sort. Sounds possibly like a dodgy height sensor or two, maybe all 4?

5. As said, compass only works when nav is in off-road navigation mode.

Post #190286818th Jan 2018 12:00 am
XDAndy

Hi all, and thanks for the replies!

Have been reading up as much as I can and have some followup questions if you have the time.

1: Fearing sunroof drain. Have replaced A pillar clips and seals, pollen tray dry as a bone and water gathering in passenger footwell when standing in rain. Half way down to stripping that side internally, just the glove box to go then I can strip out the cjb and take a look. Is there any way to temporarily stop water ingress meantime?

My guess is that this is new, possibly from where previous owner was cleaning it for sale, as there is no smell to the carpet or underlay, and all the water looks clean. Paintwork on floorpan is good, and no sign of corrosion.

2: Clockspring I have read about. I've had the airbag out, and the wiring looms from button modules to clock spring look good. Haven't had the steering wheel off yet, but is there any way for me to test this for functionality first, or is it just pray and replace?

3: Wiring loom behind bumper ...... nuts.

4: Iid as in Gap diagnostics? Any idea if this allows firmware updates or custom firmwares? Just curious as that seems a direction to move in at some point. I am looking for a good OBD tool for my landy, but ideally would like one that covered multiple cars. Have a friend with a disco 2. I have a Carista OBD tool, and it tells me there are no fault codes showing, but it doesn't tell me a helluva lot more than that.

5: Good to know and will try this!

Overall, pleased my disco is seemingly working despite the water issue, but my guess is I need to sort this ASAP or risk total system failure.

Anyone got a line on the drain parts I need, from the UK.

And, does anyone have a link or line on getting a workshop manual for the LR3? I've seen references to RAVE manuals and such like, but all the links seem dead.

kind regards

Andy

Post #190291318th Jan 2018 8:57 am
Bodstruck

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Had the same water problem on mine. Bought the replacement part from LR dealer for about £15. Fitting is a little fiddly but easily do able. Took me about 1/2 day in total. Drying it out afterwards was the biggest challenge as there is so much sound proofing / foam that soaks up the water.
Make sure you dry out the channel on the passenger side that carries all the wires. The water had led to wires corroding on mine which subsequently led to central locking conking out ( fixed thanks to great info on here).
Lots of info on the forum about how to replace the drain tubes.
Good luck Thumbs Up

Post #190292918th Jan 2018 9:28 am
LittleG

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

This may help regarding the sunroof drain https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic119322.html
Thumbs Up
I’d recommend the Bluetooth Iid tool, invaluable in finding faults and allowing you to change settings.

Post #190296818th Jan 2018 11:10 am
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Hi! New to forum, and my first post is for technical help :(

XDAndy wrote:

2: steering wheel switches (cruise control, mode, volume, next/previous) don’t work.

The switches light up, and the horn works. I’ve gotten criuse control to engage three times (give or take) but mostly doesn’t.

Volume/mode/next/previous/voice command don’t work at all, although lit and horn works.

Took the airbag out today, unclipped and reclipped the connections. No sign of corrosion.

Still don’t work. Means I can’t adjust any of the Instumment panel settings, let alone anything else.

search the site for "clockspring" Thumbs Up
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Post #190300718th Jan 2018 1:04 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

sounds like the front parking sensors are working intermittently.

Cyclists will trigger them when in traffic

Post #190301418th Jan 2018 1:13 pm
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Quote:

This can be solved by simply running them over
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Post #190302418th Jan 2018 1:29 pm
Pete199

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If you go to off road navigation screen then to 4x4 screen you’ll get the compass there.

Post #190327618th Jan 2018 10:47 pm
XDAndy

professorpool wrote:
Quote:

This can be solved by simply running them over

As I’m still getting used to the width of my disco, this could prove a possibility!

And where I am they seem to be breeding like rabbits can’t see. To turn a corner without bumping into one.

But thanks all. Really appreciate the feedback.

Andy

Post #190333419th Jan 2018 1:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >