DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Help with insurance claim
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bushscout1

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Help with insurance claim

Hi

I've been visiting the site for a while now, although had frequently experienced problems hence not posting before.

I've been a fan of Green Oval products since I was young, which resulted in my first car being a 28yo Series IIa, then after a few other cars getting a Defender 90 Td5, which I had for 8 years until I traded it in for a 2006 D3 S TdV6 six months ago.

I've been thoroughly impressed by it, and despite a few minor niggles (it's a LR after all, I'm used to them) had settled with it.

Unfortunately a week before Christmas we were the subject of a 'creeper' burglary (where they break into your house whilst you're asleep upstairs). As well as clearing out all high value small electrical goods, they also helped themselves to my car keys and took it as well.

The insurance company have been good to deal with so far, they have told me that the valuation is based on the GLASS guide with an adjustment for the mileage (which works in my favour as it was below average). However, I guess that such valuations are based on the standard specification for your model (without optional extras)?

The trouble is, whilst I know what was fitted to my vehicle, I don't know what was standard equipment and what were optional extra's.

Can anyone advise what was the standard specification for a 2006 (06) LR D3 'S' TdV6?

Also, does anyone know how up-to-date the GLASS guide market prices are, as I guess that at this time of year (and with the recent inclement weather) that D3's are in short supply and hence the market is inflated?

Any advice or assistance would be very much appreciated.

Happy New Year

Jon

Post #7399772nd Jan 2011 1:24 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The only thing I can say, is don't accept the first offer.

Post #7399792nd Jan 2011 1:32 am
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nasty. Sad

Usual rules apply - don't accept the first offer and arm yourself with lots of adverts from here / Pistonheads / Autotrader of cars with similar age / mileage / spec so you can argue your case for more money with some "evidence" to back up your gut feel.

Also worth sending your car spec to "we buy any car.com" or similar and see what they would have paid you for it (bearing in mind they will undervalue it too!).

Post #7399822nd Jan 2011 2:06 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

also if you've got some recent photos (ideally date stamped) to support your argument Thumbs Up

One assumes the insurance company are going to put you in a hire car in the meantime, bad news is that these professionals are unlikely just to abandon yer car straight away, they will have a means of hiding it first for a few perhaps in a residential car parking enviroment to see whether a tracker goes off, then will offload it for breaking or cloaning or export to third world country......... Shocked

Post #7399852nd Jan 2011 2:37 am
Dave T

England 

As you bought it so recently a good starting point for value should be what you paid for it. Maybe compare against prices on the LR website as well, they do show a comprehensive list of equipment on each car so that may help.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #7399992nd Jan 2011 8:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Glass's today:

"Auto with 40k Top £15900, bottom £13300
Manual with 40k Top £15100, bottom £12600

All valuations given are based on a single transaction with a bona fide motor dealer involving the sale of the consumer's car in part exchange for the purchase of a different car from the same dealer."

Bill Wright Thumbs Up
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #7400082nd Jan 2011 9:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >