DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Help with a suspension fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Apologises , ref that pic

Indeed thought the same with the small amount of area

Also noticed for the first time after having to fit new valves that when I raised or lowered the suspension the valve block solenoid would open and close extremely quickly

Which made a lot of sense , as if it just opened the air would drop very quickly so learnt that it’s speed was paramount to how it adjusted the suspension

Think ur be surprised when testing the valve blocks if they actually hold up with a pressure / vacuum test

Also before I forget , inspect the ends of the pipes as even a small gouge in them can cause a leak

Handy having a bottle of washing up liquid handy, along with the garden sprayers that have the long nozzle, easier to each the top of the air bag connections

Plse let me know how u get on and what links etc u need

Start with the pipes at the reservoir valve , remove front and rear and test them separately , then ur see if both or just one drops , can then concentrate on what u find , if just the front drops , go to that valve block , with then having to remove each air bag line, testing each one in turn

Then the back and same process , once u have the circuit airtight can then restest at the reservoir valve block end to ensure the entire circuit to front and rear are sound

Bet the valves have been letting by for ages , just a leak has shown it up

Hope it helps mate

Post #22230637th Apr 2021 8:59 pm
reb78

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks Gary - I got a new tank this morning from the ebay link you put up. I figured that even if mine wasn't leaking, it wouldn't last much longer as it was quite corroded.

One thing I notice with these replacement o rings for the valve blocks is that they all seem a little smaller and slightly thinner than the originals - I bought them from the same place on ebay everyone on here uses.

I removed the pipes from the reservoir valve today to change the seals and thinking about it, it didnt let any air out until I released the one to the reservoir so that suggests that those seals were actually ok?! Now, interestingly, with all of that disconnected the bags still had air in them when I put it all back together - may have dropped a little but I was expecting the system to be vented of air but it wasnt.

I am inclined to test that rear right air bag that is dropping the most - I have sprayed with soapy water but the bag itself isnt really exposed as it has covers top, middle and bottom, so how can I test that easily?

If you have links to the kit you used to build your test kit Gary then that would be really handy. I have a compressor but not the other bits of airline/gauges in your pictures. I want to test as you say otherwise its an expensive overhaul for just replacing parts.

One interesting thing is that there is not a lot of desiccant powder in my lines. I was expecting more but perhaps the PO did have that changed - he wasn't too shoddy with the maintenance.

Post #22230717th Apr 2021 9:26 pm
gstuart

Ur so welcome

Great idea ref the tank as indeed would be Sod’s law if u left it and then split across the top after doing all the hard work

For O rings I also used some plumbers clear silicone silicone grease, used just a smear on each O ring but alas for some reason still failed testing

That’s awesome u haven’t got the desiccant powder throughout the system, might be an idea to see what condition it’s in , maybe replace the desiccant and filters in the dryer so that’s all done

Here’s some links , most of the pipe going to and forth the valve blocks will be 6mm

First , Schrader valves , there pushfit fit 6mm , quality is good and has a protective cap , they come as a pair

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Master-...SwgQ9VrOdZ

Personally I bought these as it had 4 x Schroeder valves , so could basically test more at a time

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P38-RANGE-ROVER...SwjDZYZWyC

I used a tyre inflator to connect to the Schroeder valve, plse ignore the air con connector in the picture

Isolating valve

Can’t find the one I got , so found this one instead , there are others but this one looked half decent

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-Pushfit-Min...SwFM1dMPdo

6mm caps , think I around x 6 of them , just handy to have them so could cap multiple pipes at the same time

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-in-Fitting...xyRNJScTX-

6mm pushfit pipe , bought around 25m so could then bring the airlines out from underneath the disco making it safer , can indeed get this from anywhere

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Flexible-...SwXwBf9D~e

Elbows- tees etc , again 6mm pushfit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-in-Fitting...xyRNJScTX-

Plus used these to replace the very expensive voss connectors , blimey it made life considerably easier , just need to make sure the ends of the pipes are , free from gouges and are cut square

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/6...2875-p.asp

So hopefully u have the links to build the kit, of course Plse let me know if u need anymore help etc

Kit

Shrieder valve
Isolating valve
Pressure gauge
Pipe
Pushfit caps - 6mm

Tees if u want to see up multiple lines

Really hope this helps u mate

Post #22230987th Apr 2021 11:47 pm
gstuart

Found another isolating valve

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-pneumatic...%3A2334524

Post #22231028th Apr 2021 12:26 am
reb78

Perfect. Thanks so much for those. I will get some bits purchased tomorrow.

Quick final question for tonight, is everything 6mm? I thought I saw 8mm pipe mentioned somewhere too?

Post #22231038th Apr 2021 12:39 am
gstuart

Ur so welcome

Plus before I forget plse if u haven’t got one is a plastic pipe cutter

The only bit as far as I’m aware is the air filter inlet that goes into the dryer cap, rest of the pipe that goes to and forth via the valve blocks/ air struts is 6mm

Awesome and plse let us know what u find and at least this way ur know 100% what’s leaking or not

Post #22231058th Apr 2021 3:38 am
reb78

Update....

So last night I spent a lot more time with the soapy water spray on the back end - including taking the rubber boots off of the rear bags. It showed absolutely nothing.

So i thought I would change the seals in the rear valve block anyway. Which utter idiot decided that was a sensible location needs a good talking to!!

The result this morning after 12 hours with the self levelling disabled:

The rear hasnt dropped at all. Front on both sides has gone down exactly 1cm (which makes me wonder if i recorded the measurements wrong for the front)

Post #22234639th Apr 2021 12:47 pm
Marques.a

Brazil 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 4

Hello Gary,

Thank you very much for your guidance! Bow down

I had a problem with my suspension that could not solve anything, with your help I was able to solve it. My case was an 8 mm tube that was in the pump at the top that was punctured.

Grateful, hugs. Thumbs Up

Post #222636523rd Apr 2021 5:42 pm
gstuart

reb78 wrote:
Update....

So last night I spent a lot more time with the soapy water spray on the back end - including taking the rubber boots off of the rear bags. It showed absolutely nothing.

So i thought I would change the seals in the rear valve block anyway. Which utter idiot decided that was a sensible location needs a good talking to!!

The rear hasnt dropped at all. Front on both sides has gone down exactly 1cm (which makes me wonder if i recorded the measurements wrong for the front)

Am well pleased u got it resolved

Indeed that rear valve block is a swine, using a short spanner helped , then I fitted some of the brass pushfits which made life a lot easier

Post #222636623rd Apr 2021 5:45 pm
gstuart

Marques.a wrote:
Hello Gary,

Thank you very much for your guidance! Bow down

I had a problem with my suspension that could not solve anything, with your help I was able to solve it. My case was an 8 mm tube that was in the pump at the top that was punctured.

Grateful, hugs. Thumbs Up

Ur so welcome , alas learnt the hard way along with the awesome help I got from here when I had to rebuild all of mine and so nice being able to pass it on

Well chuffed and thks for letting us know it helped Thumbs Up

Post #222636823rd Apr 2021 5:47 pm
reb78

gstuart wrote:
reb78 wrote:
Update....

Am well pleased u got it resolved

Indeed that rear valve block is a swine, using a short spanner helped , then I fitted some of the brass pushfits which made life a lot easier

Swine is the word for sure!!

Now... the front is definitely dropping slowly. Its like 1cm on both sides over 12 hours. Any hunches on what this is likely to be? The seals in the front valve block were done about 18months ago I think. Because it is dropping evenly on both sides it seems in my mine to point to a common place between the two front bags... I wonder if I ahould replace that front valve block??

As an aside, Bearmach valve blocks are around £70, genuine around double that. Is this a genuine part only or will aftermarket last ok?

Post #222654224th Apr 2021 3:25 pm
gstuart

Hiya

Had the same with my valve blocks after rebuilding them, used that hand vacuum pump and they wouldn’t hold vacuum so in the end replaced all 3 x with new valve blocks

Also tested all the air lines from the reservoir valve block to the front valve block and pipes inbetween front struts etc just to double check

The way I thought was with the vehicle off and F26 fuse removed the seals shouldn’t allow any air to pass but alas they did and indeed proved it 100% with the vacuum test , just found it such an invaluable tool to have

Just checked , did fit genuine ones £100 for the front one , I also replaced all the voss connectors with brass pushfits

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/suspension-fr...26595.html

Must admit haven’t heard bad things about the bearmach valve blocks , I just went with genuine so at least then I knew it was of good quality and not an unknown

Hope that helps

Post #222657324th Apr 2021 6:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >