DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Help with the shakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sc0tt

Australia 
Help with the shakes

Hi All

I have an issue I can't quite work out. My MY06 TDV6 with 230,000km has a problem with the shakes, but only when slowing down from 90km/h to 70 km/h. Speeds outside of this, when braking, is smooth. The shaking is only through the steering wheel and does not affect tracking.

Brake at 100km/h and the car brakes smooth and straight with no steering wheel shake. Brake at 80km/h and the steering wheel shakes until the speed drops to around 70km/h and then the shakes go away. Brake at slower speeds, no issue.

In the 100,000km I've owned the car, there has been no maintenance required on the suspension/steering apart from a new compressor. Brakes were recently changed to the V8 version (no difference). What is unusual is this first started on the old Pirelli tyres, then went away when I changed them for Bridgestone D697's. Now that the D697's have 30,000km on them the shakes are back.

I'll do a rotation this weekend to see if it makes a difference. It does seem to be tyre wear related, but the D697's are wearing evenly across all corners. When measured, the tread depth is even across the tread.

Thoughts?

Regards
Scott

Post #18745191st Nov 2017 12:26 pm
Sc0tt

Australia 

Well, I did a wheel rotation and the shakes have reduced considerably. With one wheel in the air there was noticeable movement fore and aft, but none up and down. Just to be sure I've ordered track rod kits for both sides. Will install then get a wheel alignment. Hopefully that will be then end of the shakes.

Scott

Post #18762066th Nov 2017 11:53 am
rdenyer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Shudder

I have very similar symptoms, with my MY06 TDV6 but more between 70 - 80 Kmph , if i stand on the breaks hard, it's not so noticeable. If you roll to a stop on flat ground with a trailing break, you can just feel a slight grab.
Removed wheels and found that front left disc had a pretty bad scorch mark on the disc. I don't have a run out gauge but ran a straight edge over the disc and it looks ok?
Question 1. Would this scorching be the cause of the shudder?
Question 2. Is this disc toast and should I order a new set - these are DBA. T2s
Question 3. Any idea what would have caused this, pads are fine, approx 18 months old, and I dont drive that hard or tow anything, never noticed the smell of hot brakes.

Post #18765357th Nov 2017 4:41 am
Asa

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
brakes

This could be a piston failing to return within the front caliper, have got this on my D3.

In slow moving traffic front offside starts to squeal, calipers are original fitment from 2006 with 145000mls so probably due replacement.

My background has extensive motorcycle use and my motorcycles would have seasonal related servicing by me, this often highlighted sticking pistons within the caliper regardless of climatic reasons, just general wear and tear.

Braking from speed after moving off from slow moving traffic causes wheel wobble initially then settles down and normal operation returns.

I would not attempt to rectify this unless you have extensive mechanical knowledge and expertise and cleaning the brakes is a service most good workshops will offer.

Just some thoughts on what the problem could be if all else has failed to rectify.

Post #18766797th Nov 2017 1:16 pm
Sc0tt

Australia 

OK. So I have now replaced the track rods (inner and outer), replace brake pads and rotors, done a tyre rotation, had a wheel alignment and a wheel balance. Issue persists.

What is weird is it only happens at that specific speed of around 70-80km/h. What I have notices is the shakes are more pronounced when braking downhill.

My next thoughts are some of the suspension bushes or ball joints are worn. Any ideas?

Regards
Scott

Post #187872013th Nov 2017 8:54 am
rdenyer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Wondering if this could be a dodgy wheel speed sensor or another type of ABS issue?

Post #188073518th Nov 2017 1:40 am
Sc0tt

Australia 

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think so for these reasons. When I changed the track rods the steering was off. This meant the car got a little confused around roundabouts and triggered the stability program. I could definitely feel that and the appropriate lights flashed on the dash. This was resolved once I did a steering angle reset (which I did again after the wheel alignment). When this shaking issue happens, I get none of those.

Maybe hub bearings?

Regards
Scott

Post #188074218th Nov 2017 4:24 am
Sc0tt

Australia 

OK. Had the car up in the air today, again. There is no play at the hubs. Nothing vertical or horizontal. When spinning the wheels, they are smooth with no noise or rough spots. With the steering lock on and someone holding the steering wheel hard against the lock, if I move the wheels horizontally, there is a small amount of movement through the rack to at least the first U/J of the steering column.

Thinking now is it might be the lower steering column....maybe?

I used a large lever under the wheels to lift parallel to wheel and perpendicular to wheel but couldn't see any odd movement in any bushes or ball joints.

Regards
Scott

Post #188117019th Nov 2017 12:34 pm
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have you had a wheel alignment on all 4 wheels on Hunter equipment?

Post #18872126th Dec 2017 11:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >