DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Help!!! Major Mechatronic Unit issues!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
itstime222

United Kingdom 
Help!!! Major Mechatronic Unit issues!

Afternoon,

So my 2010 D4 was displaying gearbox fault and service required, as well as locking me in park sometimes (off on sorted it). Its been to my indie for the last few days (who I trust) and it has come back needing a new Mechatron Unit at a cost of £3,000!

Apparently the part is nearly 2k, then gearbox oil, filters and labour + vat!!

I asked if you could buy reconditioned mechatron units or something from a breakers etc- and apparently you can't as they all need coding and you can't do it twice? So one that's already programmed you can't re-programme?

Is there a work round to this, or an alternative product or way to do it without costing me 3k. Can you buy a reconditioned unit? That sort of money is going to be very hard to warrant this close to Christmas! 👎👎👎😔[/s]

Post #21914254th Dec 2020 3:38 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Used gearboxes can be recoded with an IID - you use the GAP Fastlane service for £25
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #21914854th Dec 2020 6:50 pm
motorworks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Is your D4 2.7 or 3.0? Used Mechatronic unit for 2.7 should be easy to source at reasonable cost, 3.0 may take a little more searching. A scrap gearbox is likely to have a good Mechatronic unit.

Anyone fitting a used gearbox would normally keep their original Mechatronic and discard the one that came with the gearbox. In this scenario you could pick one up for minimal cost.

Here's the issue. Fitting a replacement Mechatronic takes many hours labour, with a used unit neither supplier nor garage will cover labour if it does not work.

Send this link to your Indie and see what he says,

Chris  
Post #21915044th Dec 2020 7:42 pm
itstime222

United Kingdom 

Its the 3.0 tdv6. Ah that makes sense - so the way forward may be sourcing an2nd hand gearbox. Great advice though and gives me options. Once these things gave started going do they get worse? It is our only car and it would be great to keep / drive it till Christmas is out the way then repair afterwords? At the moment its throwing the error code and every now and then locking in park - but a quick turn on and off resolves that.

So in that instance, can you recode a mechatronic unit that has already been programmed to another car / gear box. Or is it coded to gearbox rather than car, ie if I swap the box out that will be okay?

Thanks.

Post #21915084th Dec 2020 7:47 pm
motorworks

If you fit a different Mechatronic unit (used gearbox) it will not work, and raises a fault code. Coding replacement unit to the car will fix this error.

I am not aware of any Mechatronic unit where re-coding is not possible. If your Indie can code a new unit to the car he should know what will work.

The video link shows a car purchased after replacement gearbox fitted by a garage. Gearbox would not work, until coded to the car by new owner. What if you pay £3k+ for a new Mechatronic unit, and the faults are still present?

With symptoms you describe I would continue driving, and probably seek a second opinion.
 Chris  
Post #21915524th Dec 2020 9:23 pm
itstime222

United Kingdom 

Hi - okay brilliant - sounds like thats the best way forwards.

Is the gearbox change a body off thing? Thinking of i supply the iid - maybe a friend who is a good general mechanic could change the boxes over then follow that video. Makes it seem a lot more reasonable than 3k. Seen some D4 3.0 litre gearboxes on ebay for less than £500!

Really appreciate all your help, makes my day seem a bit better after a pretty rubbish start!!

Post #21915895th Dec 2020 12:18 am
motorworks

Gearbox can be changed with body on ...

Before embarking on this plan, you should check with IID support that they can provide a file for the necessary coding.
 Chris  
Post #21917285th Dec 2020 7:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >