Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Help, I'm sinking!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Help, I'm sinking!

Woke up this morning to notice that the D3 was sitting very low on it's haunches. Started it up and it rose quickly up to normal height. No dash lights or warnings and it went quickly between access height and off road height, when tested. Drove to my office, did a lbit of work for a few hours (about 3.5) and sure enough when I left, it was squatting down again Sad

I've been searching this section of the forum and it's a well documented problem, but one that doesn't appear to have a definitive remedy.

Valve blocks seem a popular remedy but not always Confused

I'd be grateful for any opinions from those who have experience with this fault.

It would appear that my LR Select Warranty (the lesser of the two Extended Warranties) will cover this, but again any reassurance or not regarding this would be appreciated.

Back to the search mode Thumbs Up

Post #73866029th Dec 2010 10:32 pm
loftylowe

as you have said valve blocks are a favourite, but i have experienced leaky pipes where they have been wrongly routed and have rubbed through. Also the air bags them selves can leak. they have a seal on the inside,between the bag and the shocker which can leak and is only detectable by submerging the strut in water.

Post #73888730th Dec 2010 1:54 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSdxqIBfEAw&feature=related
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #73889530th Dec 2010 2:06 pm
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

If you set your suspension to standard height and then remove the fuse for the suspension (not the yellow 60A, there will be a regular mini fuse) from the fuse box next to the battery. Lock the car up as normal and leave. This will then identify if the leak is from one corner or a supply leak.

Post #73898130th Dec 2010 5:22 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for the replies Thumbs Up

Today it quickly rose to standard height when started. Still no warning lights etc. This afternoon I parked it up and I've just noticed that the n/s rear is sitting lower (must be on or close to bump stop if it has one) than the rest of the vehicle. Would that indicate the problem is in the n/s rear?

I'll try the fuse trick tomorrow night.

My plan is to give the dealer as much info. as possible as sods law the Select Warranty will not cover whatever needs replacing.

Post #73928031st Dec 2010 2:06 am
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Ours has been sinking for 6 years now, they couldn't find a solution when it was under warranty and there has been no further investigation since... Shocked
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #73928131st Dec 2010 2:09 am
LT

That's a fear I've got. But hopefully it's something obvious and covered by the warantee, as I'm skint after Xmas and a set of new tyres and 105k service is looming, along with tax and insurance Sad

So if there's no solution to your "sinking" what do LR say? As obviously it's not correct!

Post #73928231st Dec 2010 2:16 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The sequence of would-be solutions to this problem regarding my D3 is documented on this forum.
2 x compressor
2 leaks in pipes/conducts found
finally front valve block replaced.

Mine is totally cured now so it *is* possible... but the dealer have put about 10 days in it and I'm not sure any dealer would do so.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #73938631st Dec 2010 12:54 pm
LT

Wiljo, iirc the D3 has a valve block in each corner. Was your D3 "sinking" lower on the corner that the faulty valve block was?

Post #73940131st Dec 2010 1:48 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi LT,

mine started sinking at the front (both sides). I parked in off-road height, it looked like a dragster with the rear in offroad and the front on the bump stops LOL. Later on it sank to its 4 bumpstops.

But as said mine had a combination of problems. See here and in the earlier thread mentioned for a full (rather elaborate) description.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #73940831st Dec 2010 2:03 pm
LT

Q86ARR wrote:
If you set your suspension to standard height and then remove the fuse for the suspension (not the yellow 60A, there will be a regular mini fuse) from the fuse box next to the battery. Lock the car up as normal and leave. This will then identify if the leak is from one corner or a supply leak.

Ok I've done this, removed the 5a fuse for the suspension. It stayed in normal height apart from the n/s rear corner which was down to the stops.

What does this identify though?

From what I understand by reading the various related posts on here, the system has a valve block in each corner. So am I correct in thinking that a logical assumption would be that the n/s rear valve block has failed? Or that a pipe in that area is leaking?

Does it indicate that the compressor is not the issue?

Thanks, LT.

Post #7405133rd Jan 2011 2:15 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi LT,

There are 3 valve blocks:

1. Front (contains 3 valves for left corner, right corner and cross-link)
2. Rear (as per above)
3. Centre (valves for air tank and compressor)

In your case it sounds like it is likely to be the rear valve block. Unfortunately, it's not possible to change the individual valves, but it isn't too expensive to replace anyway.

It can be replaced or you could get away with stripping it down and cleaning it, but if funds allow I'd personally just swap it out for a new one.

It could obviously also be a leak in the union of the valve block/air-spring and the rear-left air pipe or also a leaking air-spring, but the valve block is a much more likely suspect Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #7405213rd Jan 2011 2:32 pm
LT

Thanks Paul Thumbs Up

Just hoping that the Select Warranty will cover it.

Post #7405253rd Jan 2011 2:43 pm
LT

The problem was a leaking air bag in the rear n/s suspension unit. The whole unit was replaced under the extended LR warranty that I have, by my dealer TH White, who gave superb service as always.

Thanks to all who gave their advice.

Post #74797117th Jan 2011 12:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >