Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Dondiddy

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

darrind wrote:
Dondiddy wrote:
rrhool wrote:
Never heard of '4x4' mode on two wheel tester Shocked

It's either rotating all four wheels of the car or not. The car doesn't know it's on a brake tester.

4x4 mode allows the rollers of the axle being brake tested to run in opposite directions to avoid any issues with transmission lock up etc. Thumbs Up

I was under the impression that the issue is though that you should only drive all 4 wheels together from the transmission using the vehicles own power and not have an external device drive the wheels, IE never tow the vehicle on ground for more than a very short distance and not drive wheels with the rolling road.

You can tow the car up to 30miles if needed but the gearbox park feature needs to be disabled , not just having the gearbox put in neutral as it reverts back into park after 10 mins or so if the engine is switched off. The short time and low speeds of a rolling road should not cause any issues as that is how mine has been tested a number of times. What is surprising is the amount of lateral movement there is in the axle during the testing! Shocked

Post #229762528th Jun 2022 3:12 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

re the MOT test procedure - it needs to be done correctly or there can be problems

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic180242.html

When I asked my tester at the place I use he just got the box with the old school device off the shelf and did the efficiency test outside in their car park...
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #229762628th Jun 2022 3:32 pm
darrind

Dondiddy wrote:
darrind wrote:
Dondiddy wrote:
rrhool wrote:
Never heard of '4x4' mode on two wheel tester Shocked

It's either rotating all four wheels of the car or not. The car doesn't know it's on a brake tester.

4x4 mode allows the rollers of the axle being brake tested to run in opposite directions to avoid any issues with transmission lock up etc. Thumbs Up

I was under the impression that the issue is though that you should only drive all 4 wheels together from the transmission using the vehicles own power and not have an external device drive the wheels, IE never tow the vehicle on ground for more than a very short distance and not drive wheels with the rolling road.

You can tow the car up to 30miles if needed but the gearbox park feature needs to be disabled , not just having the gearbox put in neutral as it reverts back into park after 10 mins or so if the engine is switched off. The short time and low speeds of a rolling road should not cause any issues as that is how mine has been tested a number of times. What is surprising is the amount of lateral movement there is in the axle during the testing! Shocked

Post #229762728th Jun 2022 3:33 pm
KevinD3

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

So I’ve got a coin toss for the morning, searching around it’s either brake shoes worn, epb module faulty, or cables broken (so any part of the system lol)
Think I’ll take the wheels off first to check the shoes as I don’t know when they were last changed. I suspect I’ll need to get the epb open after as I reckon it hasn’t latched after the issue.
Strange thing is that under normal conditions it’s working perfect, only locks on and refuses to budge if pulled on while driving.
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

My Wife thinks the D3 is a hobby, The D3 thinks the wife is 💕 

Post #229764928th Jun 2022 6:25 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Click image to enlarge

bigger clickable

Post #229765328th Jun 2022 7:01 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

LRE Solihull...our drive included emergency stop using EPB....i didnt think it would work....told to pull the EPB and we stopped on a sixpence,,,almighty brake effort on all wheels...very impressive and at speed..on rough track .madam most impressed as it could be handy if driver has medical or other issues and car needs to stop quick...from memory pull and hold on...havent had the balls to try it on our own car..

Post #229768728th Jun 2022 11:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moleshome

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

It's part of the bedding in procedure after replacing the shoes so shouldn't cause any problems.

Post #229775029th Jun 2022 11:35 am
KevinD3

Ok, fingers crossed. I cancelled a conference call this morning and pulled the wheels off , getting the squeal when I released the brake to turn the car round on the drive.

Following Bodsys bible I adjusted the handbrake shoes (adjuster tighten so wheels don’t move at 80nm, then 8 clicks off) both sides. Then spent the next half hour doing handbrake stops outside the house, no squeaks, no complaints, and more importantly no locking handbrake in front of neighbours drives Smile

I did notice that the passenger side adjuster was a bit corroded and stiff and the whole system has seen better days so full rear brakes replacement (and upgrade of disks) now on the todo list I reckon.

MOT was rebooked for next Wednesday but want to bring it forward now Smile fingers crossed!
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

Post #229778529th Jun 2022 3:48 pm
darrind

Thumbs Up
Post #229779029th Jun 2022 4:27 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

just to add or maybe clarify a few bits,

this is for a D3 and my 2008 D3 does Not engage park after 10 mins think that is just the D4, the pics are for the D4 not a D3 (rotate dial and smart key what are they Laughing )
when I did my discs and shoes it was left over night and did not engage again, ign off left in N.

as Hardware mentions
when you are driving and pull the EPB switch it activates the emergency braking and pads to discs x4 and not the parking brake shoes in the rear discs
think of it as an emergency stop with a switch rather than pressing the pedal Smile

when you do the bedding in process for the parking brake shoes this activates the shoes but as it says its for bedding in only and if you go above a certain speed (29mph?) it stops the process your back to pads on discs if you pull the EPB switch

Still have to Question testing on the rollers, last MOT i had done was on the FL2 with the EPB and they used the old swingonometer down the road Confused

Glad you have it sorted

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Last edited by riverblanche on 30th Jun 2022 6:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #229783129th Jun 2022 8:41 pm
Dondiddy

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

FromTopix for D4
 VEHICLE RECOVERY
GO TO PREVIOUS PAGE
TOWING THE VEHICLE ON FOUR WHEELS
WARNING
The recovery agent MUST activate the transmission park release mechanism before towing commences. The procedure is covered in a separate publication for service personnel.
WARNING
If Neutral (N) is selected and the engine is then switched off, the transmission automatically selects Park (P) after 10 minutes has elapsed. At this point, if the transmission park release mechanism has not been activated and the vehicle is being towed, serious damage to the transmission will result. There is also a danger to personal safety.
WARNING
If the engine cannot be used during towing, there will be no power assistance to the braking system. The lack of power assistance results in a much greater effort to stop the vehicle and in a greatly increased stopping distance.
WARNING
If the vehicle's battery is to be disconnected, the steering column must be unlocked first. Unlocking the steering column is not possible with the battery disconnected. Serious injury or death may occur if the steering column is locked during towing.
WARNING
Always make sure that the steering column is unlocked before recovery. Failure to do so may lead to accidents causing serious injury or death.
CAUTION
Only tow the vehicle in a forward direction with all four wheels on the ground. Towing in a reverse direction, or with only two wheels on the ground, will cause serious damage to the transmission.
CAUTION
Do not tow the vehicle for more than 50 km (30 miles). Do not exceed 50 km/h (30 mph). Towing for a greater distance or at a higher speed may result in serious damage to the transmission.
CAUTION
Do not tow the vehicle if the transmission cannot be set in Neutral (N), or if the rear electronic differential has failed in the locked position. Doing so may result in damage to the vehicle.
The vehicle should be recovered with all four wheels clear of the ground, i.e., on a trailer. If the vehicle cannot be recovered by using the correct method, in an emergency, the vehicle can be towed on all four wheels for a short distance. Please adhere to the following guidelines:
The following procedure must be carried out carefully to prevent damage to the vehicle:
Secure the towing attachment from the recovery vehicle to the front towing eye. See FRONT TOWING EYE.
With the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) applied, switch on the ignition. Make sure that the steering lock is unlocked.
Apply the brake pedal and rotate the gear selector to Neutral (N).
Activate the transmission park release mechanism.
Leave the smart key in a secure place inside the vehicle.
Release the EPB before towing the vehicle.
CAUTION
Leaving the ignition switched on for extended periods will drain the vehicle's battery.

Post #229783729th Jun 2022 9:32 pm
KevinD3

So took him back for his 3rd attempt at the MOT this afternoon having adjusted the handbrake shoes and………HE PASSED WITH FLYING COLOURS Bow down no advisories, no issues and the tester spent 10 minutes telling me how it was the best example of a D3 he’d tested in a long while.

Drove back home with that Landrover grin Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Good Boy Dennis Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

Post #22984444th Jul 2022 3:18 pm
darrind

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #22984454th Jul 2022 3:20 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Result Thumbs Up

did they still run it on the single axle rollers or Question

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #22984544th Jul 2022 5:28 pm
KevinD3

They insisted I stay in case it locked up but used a portable decelerometer In the footwell instead of the rollers, no issues at all Smile
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

Post #22984564th Jul 2022 5:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >