Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > IIDTool Help

Help with diagnosing IID logs fueling/limp mode on accelerat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
lronly

Malta 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thank you for your input..... the lpfp is the second one I change and both the first ( originsl) and the first new pump I fittedpump were good as I have tried them on my own range rover 2.7
The fuel filter and housing changed to a brand new genuine lr set and the hpfp changed twice as well. And I tried this on an other car car that I had in with p0087... and this pump solved the problem.....
Please excuse my ignorance but I cannot understand were the blockage might be?
And the fault reads Injector pressure too low not high..... so you still think I might have a restriction?
My only worry is that someone in the past has switched over the supply and return pipes as this car has always had this issue since its been imported from UK

Any further advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Post #223735821st Jun 2021 11:43 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Based on the information you have provided, there appears to be no fuel pressure at the schrader valve.

If that remains the case, and you have a new genuine lpfp fitted, either something is blocking the fuel flow, there is a problem with the pipework, or there is electrical failure to the lpfp. Since you have tested the lpfp successfully on another vehicle, you can rule this out. However, are the vehicle electrics in order with sufficient supply to the pump?

In addition to the above, you need to resolve why the fuel is not reaching the schrader! Bent or crushed pipe, internal blockage, pipework connections incorrect, air being drawn into the system via faulty/incorrect connection? Fuel filter / housing connections incorrect, or pump gauze blocked.

Check these connections are orientated correctly.

Click image to enlarge

And these!

Click image to enlarge

And if this has not been renewed, clean it thoroughly.
Click image to enlarge

Check also there is nothing obstructing this!

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #223739721st Jun 2021 2:53 pm
lronly

Hi
The fuel filter housing is new genuine and so are the pipes between the filter and engine. The fuel arrives at the schreder but i cannot read any presuure, however i have tried other vehicles that work perfectly fine and i cannot get any pressure on my gauge..... and this is why i am assuming that there is something wrong with my equipment despite the fact that i paid a lot of money for it.

One thing I have not done it that thing that looks like a filter..... which I am assuming is in the fuel tank..... its in the pic before the last that you posted.
Would you be so kind to tell me where this is situated?

Thanks

Post #223759022nd Jun 2021 11:14 am
PROFSR G

It's the lpfp pick up gauze located at the bottom of the pump inside it's housing in the fuel tank.

If you have fitted a new complete fuel pump this should be OK, unless the fuel tank was very dirty.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #223760822nd Jun 2021 12:19 pm
PROFSR G

Actually, it sounds like your fuel pump is not running at all, or if it is then very poorly?

Check the electrical side, you should be able to hear it running with the ign key on. You may have to drop the tank and check the supply voltage and earth at the lpfp connector. If necessary the pump can be powered directly from a battery to prove it works or otherwise. (elec conn plug removed from pump!!!)
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #223761222nd Jun 2021 12:27 pm
lronly

the LPFP is running and i can fill a 1 lt bottle at the connection of the schreder valve..... there is a flow of fuel which is clearly visible..... i just cannot measure the pressure............ but i have said in earlier posts that i cannot measure the pressure on other 2.7 and 3.6 vehicles as the gauge will not move..... i have tried it on a tire and it works, i have tried the pipoe without the gauge on the schreder valve and it flows so the connection and tap are ok..... if you can give me a link to where i can buy a gauge and pipe as you are useing i will do so asap............. this problem is getting too much now..... i don't know where to go next?

what about that fiter like thing that you posted.... where is that so that i check that out?

thanks
Josef

Post #223779423rd Jun 2021 8:52 am
PROFSR G

The gauze is inside the lpfp module at the bottom of the pump, but I see you already fitted a new lpfp so it's not going to be that which is causing your problem. Did you fit an ORIGINAL LR fuel pump or a cheap copy????

The Britpart unit I believe is OEM, the others are not unless it's from LR itself (Walbro). If you are unable to measure the pressure we can do a volume flow test instead! It will not be as accurate as a pressure test but it will show if there is enough fuel flow to satisfy the HPFP under load conditions. There is also a current draw test you can perform on the pump via the lpfp fuse!!!

For the pressure test connect a line and small container to your schrader valve and measure the amount of fuel delivered when timed over a 1 min period. You need to see around 2.5 litres of fuel/min or a bit more which should rule out completely any issue with the low pressure side. Less than 2.0lt/min would be a cause for concern, it will allow the engine to run at idle but might not be able to cope with load demands from the HPFP!

Try this before proceeding elsewhere and see what the results look like. Thumbs Up
There is a guide to testing the system somewhere in the Wiki section which will provide you with more detailed testing!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #223781723rd Jun 2021 10:46 am
lronly

i read the faults again today and it changed from P0087 to P2290..... but description is the same..... low injector pressure

its driving me mad!

Post #223785423rd Jun 2021 1:17 pm
PROFSR G

Yeah I empathise with your frustration but you need follow a diagnostic path if you are to get to the root cause.

I assume you are working with a genuine lpfp, if not you are wasting you time!!
If you can't get a pressure reading do a volume flow test as above, and see what that brings!
Test also the current to the lpfp because you might have a poor connection or a faulty relay.

You have to be thorough and take it step by step until the test result you are seeing falls short of the prescribed values.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #223787623rd Jun 2021 2:35 pm
lronly

Yes it's a genuine lpfp

What are acceptable current readings for the pump?

Can you supply a link to a pressure gauge that actually works on these cars.... I just tried mine on an other 2 cars .... a 2.7 and a 3.6 and it doesn't move..... both car work perfectly fine

Post #223802324th Jun 2021 8:05 am
lronly

This is with engine running on a good car

Post #223802824th Jun 2021 8:16 am
PROFSR G

Read this thoroughly!!

https://disco4.com/forum/robbies-guide-low...bbies+lpfp

It will answer all your questions and save you a lot of unnecessary posts.

I use a Sykes Pickavent pressure tester and believe me you will not want to be buying one of them for a "one off" job as there are expensive.

Someone else may be able to suggest a cheaper option for you. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #223804024th Jun 2021 11:31 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi mate

Don’t know if it helps but got one of these gauges , did remove the valve core insert as mine was jammed , so just got one of those tyre valve tools and replaced the shrieder valve and worked like a charm

At first I took the valve insert out and pushed the pipe on but after adapted mine with another hose so could screw it on , like what Martin has done

Hope it helps and your in very good hands with prof g as he’s extremely knowledgeable

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by gstuart on 24th Jun 2021 12:40 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #223804524th Jun 2021 12:35 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

lronly wrote:
Click image to enlarge

This is with engine running on a good car

Just made the pic abit sharper as was trying to see what fitting u had there as it looks like an oil banjo connector , but can’t see what fitting you’ve used to push the shrieder valve down

Post #223804624th Jun 2021 12:36 pm
lronly

thanks GSTUART

Post #223804724th Jun 2021 12:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >