Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Heating is useless in the D4!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 15 <123 ... 12 131415>
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hello Paul
I promised I would test me heating again when it got cold. (It was fixed in the June, under warranty). Had an ideal opportunity this weekend with a 2 hour trip up to Cambridge and back. Only 9 degrees today for the drive back, so good test.
We had the heating on auto for the drive going up, set to 22-23 degrees and coming home 23-24 degrees. The temperature in the car was pretty stable, certainly it didn’t go cold after 30 minutes which it used to. The car stayed warm for the whole journey, although we noticed it got a little cooler at higher speed so we did need to go up that one degree.
So all in all it appears what ever fix they did has worked. It is certainly much better. Next time I’ll try it on non auto setting, which also used to be a problem.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #200181118th Nov 2018 10:04 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Just a bit more info that may help further diagnosis

coming back from gatwick (70 mile night time run home) after a nice week in the sun so was proboably very sensitive to the cold.

set the system on auto and as usual all good till cabin up to temp then heat only from the floor vents and cold from grill vents . switch from auto to manual but no real improvement

then i had a brain wave Very Happy as its the upper cabin that gets cold i switched on the rear AC and turned the temp up to full and directed the roof vents straight to down onto the back of the front seats and TA DA Thumbs Up result nice warm cabin

Now the reason for posting isnt just to look smug about having rear AC when those poor low spec late landmarks dont Laughing well just a little bit . No the reason is that when i was switching the rear AC on i noticed that when you put the AC on auto you only get air out of the low level vents and only get warm air out of the roof vents when you put the system in manual .. So my suspicion is that whatever module is telling the HVAC control to heat via the floor only once up to cabin temp is telling the Rear AC the same thing and must be a common sensor or control mechanism.

hopefully this helps some technical Guru in the diagnosis of what is a PITA problem on the post 2014 facelift models
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #200269521st Nov 2018 5:41 pm
Armpit

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto ArubaDiscovery 4

Here is my response from Watchdog - if they are to pick this up they need more people to have registered an issue with them..........so, over to you guys - if you want a copy of my email to them with the ppt file, then PM me your email address and I'll forward it.

Hi Paul,

I hope you are well.

I am getting in touch from the BBC where I am working on the current series of Watchdog. You wrote to us recently about a problem with your Land Rover.

We have not had a sufficient amount of reports about this particular car, so this is unfortunately not something that we will be able to investigate at the moment. Most of the stories that we cover on the programme come from viewers writing in to us, so I just wanted to drop you a message to say thank you for getting in touch. Your email will allow us to build up a body of complaints, if we decide to look into this issue in the future. As a further thank you for supporting the programme, I would like to invite you to be a part of the studio audience for one of our upcoming live shows. Is this something that you would be interested in?

I have included some information about the filming below – it would be great if you were available to come and be involved! You would be very welcome to bring a friend or a partner as well, just let me know their name and I will add them to the list.

If you would be interested in being part of the audience, please do let me know and I will give you some further information.

All the best,
Alice

My next step is Autoexpress as in this cold weather again, my car is woeful and so uncomfortable on a longer journey. FYI, I have had a Mercedes GLC on loan this week and the windscreen and face vents maintain nice warm airflow all of the time - cabin temperature is as expected (i.e. normal......doesn't sound difficult does it ?)

Thanks - Paul

Post #200426528th Nov 2018 7:52 am
RBB

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Well this is an interesting read, I’m just about to pick up a 3 year old d4 and will look at the heating, but my main reason for replying is ..... last year we treated ourselves to an f type jaguar, and it would appear the same idiot designed both the heating on the disco and f type😡

Very similar problem. On the jag with all set to auto or manual after a while the car decides you can’t have anymore hot air through the face vents and stops the airflow, the only solution being to set it to auto, then switch auto off but don’t touch the fan speed, kinda places it in a not in auto or manual mode, it then blows hot through the face and floor vents all day long. Main dealer had the car for over a month, changed the heater box and couldn’t figure it out, eventually JLR gave me a company pool car, another f type and it was excatly the same. Got mine back no difference. Dealer has raised a tech query with JLR, seems it is a missing step or a bad bit of code in the ecu

Post #200427228th Nov 2018 9:25 am
kirkyworld

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My 16MY works perfect on auto. Never need it above 18/19 all year.

Post #200427328th Nov 2018 9:32 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

You’re the lucky one! My 2010 was set at 20 all year and was very comfortable. The 2016 replacement is set at 22 and even then you need the heated seat on to keep warm.

Post #200427728th Nov 2018 9:44 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I’ve never had these issues. The vast majority of journeys in the D4 are a minimum of an hour and often much longer.
With my current D4 I think I have to set the temperature a little higher than previous ones, but it all works fine.
Which makes this all the more puzzling. What’s working on my D4 that isn’t on some others?
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #200427928th Nov 2018 9:52 am
Dexter

Scotland 

Mine is the same as above, works as I'd expect on Auto and Manual settings but I do have to have the temp settings 2 or 3 degrees higher than on my previous D3 and D4s.

Dex

Post #200432628th Nov 2018 1:00 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

do the above 2 posts relate to 2014-2016 D4s as this only seems to have gone wrong on the later facelift ones 59-13 regs seem ok
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #200441228th Nov 2018 5:45 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

My 13 is fine.

Post #200441528th Nov 2018 5:53 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I’ve had 2014,2015 & 2x2016 models. All have been fine for heating. As already mentioned I have to turn the temperature up 2 maybe even 3 degrees higher in the 2016 models, than previous years.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #200441928th Nov 2018 6:14 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

So begs the question, why are some, say, MY16s really bad and others unaffected? Faulty batch of sensors or software bug? Interesting that a Jaaaaaag had the same issue. Confused

Post #200442228th Nov 2018 6:17 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Simple answer... JLR buy parts from the cheapest source; quality is not the issue for JLR, only what it costs JLR.

Cheap parts = poor quality = inconsistent performance = unhappy customers = a dwindling customer base.

In short, JLR are trying to squeeze every last penny out of those customers still loyal to them by hiking their prices higher and higher. But longer term I believe this will come back to bite them as more and more customers leave the brand because they are fed up of the poor after sales support and shoddy quality. It’s a shame. Sadly though I don’t believe JLR are only motor manufacturers doing this.
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #200447228th Nov 2018 8:46 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Well said Mr H.

Since learning to drive MANY years ago, I have had diddy Land Rovers running through my veins (they’re in my DNA as they’ve been in the family since the mid-1950’s!), but this one is certainly my last. My father abandoned them a couple of years ago too. It really is a pity, but as you say, the prices are VERY high and the quality is VERY poor. Oh, and I do drive a lot of other cars/SUVs over a year for test purposes, so am aware of potential competition.

Post #200456929th Nov 2018 10:27 am
Grianaig

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

My facelift 2014 D4 has never had any heating issues on any length of journey. It’s used on manual at all times.
 2014 MY Discovery XS Indus Silver. Sadly gone. Second last LR of forty eight years continuous ownership.  
Post #200458329th Nov 2018 11:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 13 of 15 <123 ... 12 131415>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >