Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Hearing klunking noise when turning while accelerating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pherplexed

United States 2013 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackLR4
Hearing klunking noise when turning while accelerating

Just had my LR3 in the shop for the 75k service (and found a faulty thermostat and mass air flow sensor..both replaced). I noticed when I pulled out of their lot that there was a klunking sound as I turned out and accelerated. I thought it was my trailer hitch rolling around in my cargo area, so I took all items out of the cargo area and accelerated again, but couldn't replicate it.

Now, two days later, I realize the klunking sound can only be heard when accelerating while turning (either direction). Putting it in Grass/Gravel/Snow mode makes it even more obvious..maybe because the engine doesn't rev up as fast so it's quieter?

Anybody know what would cause the noise...and if any of the items they did at the shop would trigger it?

Many thanks!
 2013 LR4 HSE lux | Santorini Black | 5.0 V8  
Post #8231875th Aug 2011 2:26 am
pohm

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

A bit more info please...

Is it a series on klunks or generally a one off?
Do you also hear it going over the odd bump in the road?
I gather "klunk" refers to more of a metal on metal sound?
I gather it sounds more from the rear.

Just asking as I had what I would describe as a solid-ish "thunk" sound whilst at the initial turn point when the body roll kicked in as well as the odd bump in the road.

Turned out being the anti roll bar (ARB) bushes. Put the spacers in and no more "thunk" Smile

Check out http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic30622.h...ll+%2Bbush
 D3 TDV6
ARB Bullbar, snorkel, GG ATs, GOE rods, Mitch hitch, homemade drawer system, cargo barrier and a 16.5 ft off road caravan. Recently been on a 5 month trip around Oz. http://pjatjourneys.blogspot.com 

Post #8231905th Aug 2011 5:27 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Mine was very "clunky" over bumps...replaced all 4 arb bushes....no clunking...very satisfying result for not much money,one of the cheaper "fixes" Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #8231955th Aug 2011 7:24 am
pherplexed

pohm wrote:
Is it a series on klunks or generally a one off?
Do you also hear it going over the odd bump in the road?
I gather "klunk" refers to more of a metal on metal sound?
I gather it sounds more from the rear.

Yes, it is a series of klunks as I take off.

I can't really tell if it happens over bumps as well since there's generally lots of other things making noise over bumps.

Yes, it definitely sounds like a dull metal on metal sound.

It's hard to say if it's coming from the rear or not. That's where I initially suspected, but sometimes I think it's coming from up front.

If it is the ARB bushes, is it a relatively quick fix? I'm going on holiday with the family this afternoon to the mountains...i need to know the LR3 is going to hang in there if they can't fix it this morning.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the dealer to open and will call in. Just wanted to arm myself with as much info as necessary. Thanks for the replies!
Post #8232655th Aug 2011 12:14 pm
pherplexed

Ouch...turns out my rear diff has failed! And I just had BOTH doffs replaced just a year ago.

This is where I have now lost all faith in LR. I just found out that the warranty work on last year's diff replacement is covered for 12 months, unlimited mileage. Well, the warranty expired July 21st. For those not in front of a calendar, that was just under two weeks ago. To add salt to the wound, LR nor the dealership will help me out.

As mentioned in the original post, they just performed the 75k service this past monday...where they told me they did extensive multi-point checks of the vehicle and flushed fluids, etc. How the hell did they not catch this??

I'm so mad and there's absolutely nothing I can do about. LandRover doesn't give a crap and neither does my dealer. Big Cry
Post #8235026th Aug 2011 6:21 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Clearly the diff failed before the warranty ran out in July as it was making noises before that date?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8235677th Aug 2011 4:01 am
pherplexed

Good point. But I'm willing to bet they go by the into service bay date.

I'm going to have a meeting with the dealership's owner when i get back into town and see what they can do.
Post #8236277th Aug 2011 2:23 pm
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

how much does a rr diff cost Question

Post #8237287th Aug 2011 9:04 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Good luck pherplexed. Very Happy

Stick to your guns. The failure occured before the warranty period. Not sure what the law is there but here you have what is called "reasonable expectation" of time beyond the warrant period under consumer law.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8237738th Aug 2011 2:03 am
pherplexed

I'm at a total loss here. Could use some advice.

So after meeting with the dealer's manager, they tell me there's nothing they can do to help nor Land Rover North America, so I had to pay for this repair in full.

Anyway, back to the topic: the day I drove the LR3 home after the service, the clunking sound is still evident. I took it right back to them and they've now had my car for 6 days trying to diagnose the problem. They tell me they can hear and feel the clunking, but they can't figure out what's causing it.

My first concern is that they needlessly replaced my diff as the culprit of the sound the first go around. They claim even if it wasn't the diff causing the noise when I first brought it in, it was still definitely in need of replacement and that the clunking sound has been greatly diminished since. Whatever. I'm now $2,600 USD in the hole with no resolution to the clunking noise.

The dealer has been so uninterested in communicating and expressing any sympathy through this whole process. They go days without any status calls to me. I even offered to buy another one from them if they'd be willing to trade and was told their sales manager would call me to discuss. 4 days later, no calls. They clearly don't care about my business.

What the hell do I do? I just want to go back to when I thought Land Rover hung the moon. Big Cry
Post #82721819th Aug 2011 5:15 pm
ron3005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

if they replaced the diff and its made no differance i would be asking for my money back They are trying to get out of giving anything back how can they say oh it needed changing but the noise is still there take it further dont let them get away with it

Post #82724619th Aug 2011 7:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pherplexed

Not over yet

Update: I'm still battling with the dealership on this.

I had a heated exchange with one of the centre managers and finally told them I was done doing business with them and that I would make sure my father and 3 uncles who bought Range Rovers from them would move on to another brand as well. At that point, the general manager stepped in and offered to find a replacement LR3, a model year newer (2008), for little to no cost to me. He claims they would like to keep me and my family as long-term customers.

The conversation was earnest and I liked the general manager. He was very nice and I left there feeling much better about the situation. However, it's 4 weeks later and there's been no traction on this offer. I have to call him every few days for an update...he doesn't bother reaching out to me.

Question is: how long do I give the LR dealership to make good on their offer?? I appreciate that he's trying to do a good thing for me, but each week I call and he says "we're still looking." This could go on forever and I can't seem to get a hard commitment from them on when this will be over. I just need some closure on this situation!

Since the clunking noise is still present and they couldn't fix it, I'm no longer comfortable driving this particular LR3 anymore...I'm certain it will leave me stranded any day now and just want to get out of it. A family friend at the Merc dealership is offering to put me in a 2007 GL450 (same year as my LR3) for only a few thousand dollars. I hate the thought of not driving a Land Rover, but my patience is just about out.
Post #8334069th Sep 2011 4:09 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

The former Chairman of General Electric is prone to lying on the floor and refusing to move until the problem is sorted. Works for him.
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #8334229th Sep 2011 5:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >