Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Health and Safety, Political Correctness..... Tide Turning??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Sorry John Embarassed
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #49560814th Jul 2009 7:22 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Don't worry John. Thumbs Up You actually have more of a right to your opinion than I do because when it comes to a young'un, you have been there and done it and I only have two dogs. Normally I would have agreed with you (coz you're bigger than me Wink ), but I genuinely think it must be impossible to keep an eye on toddlers 24/7.

At the age of 4, I was off round a campsite with my brother for several hours unchecked. When I was 5, my daily playground was a 200ft cliff facewhich I used to peer over. My neighbours 12yo was found at the bottom of that, but it didn't stop us.

Were my parents bad? Confused
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #49575614th Jul 2009 9:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jkp

Scotland 

Must have had a sugar rush last night... Whistle

Still firmly believe that parents must shoulder responsability for the safety of their young kids and accept the duty-of-care that comes from the outcome of that night of passion, or visit to the fertility clinic. I also believe that they should be held accountable for not doing so. Such as the kid on the quad behind the FFRR, poor Maddy McCann, Baby P and countless others. If those parents assessed the potential risk as opposed to the short term personal enjoyment they got out of what ever action they were persuing at the time, maybe, just maybe those young lives would not have been affected.

Like you John, when I'wur lad, I too roamed around, but times have changed and what was safe and acceptable (presumed) is no longer in that bracket.

Post #49584915th Jul 2009 7:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kevi

Wales 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
At the age of 4, I was off round a campsite with my brother for several hours unchecked. When I was 5, my daily playground was a 200ft cliff facewhich I used to peer over. My neighbours 12yo was found at the bottom of that, but it didn't stop us.

Were my parents bad? Confused

yep , i'am supprised my parents were sane after what my brother and i got upto .

a weekly trip to a+e during school holidays , thanks mum Thumbs Up

but that was a long time ago , when kids could go out all day and play till it was nearly dark , or you was hungry Laughing
 Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

2 Too many seats now
No trouble so far
tow pack, tasmods sills
IT goes without saying that you should never have more children than you have car windows 

Post #49607115th Jul 2009 4:44 pm
Pelyma

England 

Trouble is we all live in glasshouses. Friends of ours lost their 3 year old from a sports dome in Littlehampton, he ran along the seafront down a road away from the sea to a lake, fell in and drowned. It was at a kids party and a door had been propped open. Was it the mother's fault, was it the person who propped open the door, was the sports hall owner, was it the dozens of people who probably saw the little mite or was it the owner of the lake?

There isn't a parent alive that hasn't thought Censored that could have been nasty but I got away with it. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. I don't think it is human nature to blame others and look for compensation, I think it is a learned behaviour that sits like a cancer in the middle of society and the sooner we realise it isn't free money for the taking the better.

The big difference I see today is that parents don't look out for other kids. When I was a kid and you were up to no good, if someone saw you at it they told you to stop it and then told your parents. Now we are all to afraid to be caught up in it, especially as a bloke - but that is a whole different debate Laughing
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #49608715th Jul 2009 5:23 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

while we're on this topic, what are peoples opinions of the 2 lads that died in the last few weeks down here in newquay?

we've been dragged through the tabloid gutter accused of all sorts when the truth is in fact VERY different, thought i'd ask opinions before posting my own..
 one wife.......livid  
Post #49609315th Jul 2009 5:41 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Pelyma wrote:
I don't think it is human nature to blame others and look for compensation, I think it is a learned behaviour that sits like a cancer in the middle of society and the sooner we realise it isn't free money for the taking the better.

The big difference I see today is that parents don't look out for other kids. When I was a kid and you were up to no good, if someone saw you at it they told you to stop it and then told your parents. Now we are all to afraid to be caught up in it, especially as a bloke - but that is a whole different debate Laughing

Good point and Spot on Thumbs Up

Post #49609915th Jul 2009 5:49 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

So, in actual fact, all this Political correctness, H&S and the compensation culture is actually leaving our kids in more danger than they were before any of this existed - and they call it progress Rolling Eyes
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #49610215th Jul 2009 5:53 pm
jkp

Scotland 

The true ethics in modern society is to have a bit of paper that says "we warned/trained them on the danger" so it's not our fault.

All HS&E company policies are mitigation against recrimination.

Post #49610415th Jul 2009 5:56 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

If someone is remotely connected to the cause of your loved ones death....money is completely and utterly irrelevant and the last thing on your grieving mind. It is however often a by-product of the successful acknowledgement of liability through the system.

I hope none of you have to go through it ...but please don't imply or believe that those who have lost are seeking to have someone else's gross negligence acknowledged purely to obtain compensation. I can assure you that nothing could be further from the truth. Most would trade everything just to have theirs back. I would.

I think I will bow out of this thread.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #49612515th Jul 2009 6:21 pm
Fleagle_UK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
.....It is however often a by-product of the successful acknowledgement of liability through the system.

that may be and may be the only tool to penalise many, but the majority of the debate on this thread has been about WHERE that liability resides and the litigation/ H&S / Abulance chasing madness that todays society has got itself into along with the blame culture of "anyones fault except my own".

DG wrote:
..... Most would trade everything just to have theirs back. I would.

absolutley agreed.

Last edited by Fleagle_UK on 21st Mar 2012 6:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #49640416th Jul 2009 12:30 pm
Renny

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

JMC,

is it safe to come out of hiding and say what I do for a living? Laughing
 Renny Thomson
aka Scottish Scrutineer or MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer 

Post #49656416th Jul 2009 7:22 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Probably not Renny........ Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #49668316th Jul 2009 11:48 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Burn him! BURN HIM!!!

Wink
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #49671917th Jul 2009 8:23 am
Renny

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

Oh come on, I'm not a Lawyer... Laughing
 Renny Thomson
aka Scottish Scrutineer or MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer 

Post #49700517th Jul 2009 5:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >