Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Hanbrake Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 18 <123 ... 101112 ... 161718>
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Shocked is this the most viewed thread ??

just noticed it has 28,800 views Shocked
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #103378613th Jan 2013 8:20 am
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Could be.
Mine has flashed a parking brake problem once, had the amber light come on. Took key out and swore at it. Restarted and it went away and has been for the last 4 months.

It doesn't seem to hold properly though, the right side seems slacker when applying as this side seems to move forward a bit.

Shall get mikey to have a look at it when it's up. Thumbs Up

Post #103380813th Jan 2013 9:10 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

i seem to have been quite lucky with the EPB - had 3 D3/D4s over the last 6.5 years and only had the warning light come on once, in 2007
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #103381013th Jan 2013 9:12 am
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DiscoDunc wrote:
i seem to have been quite lucky with the EPB - had 3 D3/D4s over the last 6.5 years and only had the warning light come on once, in 2007

Everyone i know had predicted the RAC would be renting out a room at my house to be local to fix it, hasn't done anything wrong yet.
It's nice to prove people wrong at times... Laughing Whistle

Post #103381413th Jan 2013 9:21 am
JRPALMER

United Kingdom 

So my EPB just went whilst I'm holidaying down in rural France. Had been screeching quite a bit and then just froze whilst parked with amber light on and red pb light flashing. Called out the "french" RAC who turned up in a massive flatbed truck looking odds on to take my Disco away for an expensive repair job.

The mechanic turned on my Disco and tried to release the brake, cue horrible loud screeching noise. He then turned to me and asked "is that normal?" to which I obviously replied no... Haha

He then got under the car and slapped hard with the flat of his palm the black box where the brake is housed by the rear wheels and voila EPB was released! He claimed the motor sometimes gets blocked and a quick slap
will free it up! I wonder whether this will sort it or if there is a latent problem that will need fixing on my 14 hr trek back to the UK on Weds!!!

Watch this space...

Post #113385920th Jul 2013 8:30 am
lr101fc

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Handbrake EPB

So after a 2 week holiday of about 3500km, we have the orange handbrake warning light on every time we try to use the handbrake and the red warning light flashing too. The car is automatic so leaving it in park is normal. I removed both brake discs, the passenger side disk had every cooling slot filled with sand/mud/dirt between the two disk platters. Both sides the mechanism was siezed where the cable pulls the small lever on the back of one brake shoe, the passenger side a lot worse. Removed the brake shoes and mechanism, cleaned everything and light lubrication of the moving parts. Very little wear on the faces of the brake shoes. All seems to move ok here.
Traced both handbrake cables from the wheels back to the motor assembly, only some surface dirt, no crushing or trapped cables from the outside.
Now at the point where I am trying to remove the fixing bolts of the canister behind the brake motor (emissions canister) but nults are rusted on.
No noise from the EPB motor at all, so possibly damage to the cables - we did have several days of off roading on the holiday inlcuding one where we damaged an ABS sensor so lost height control and had to be towed out of quarry. So I'm thinking a wiring issue hopefully in an accessible place near the motor. Other alternatives are dirt/dust in the handbrake switch, I've read similar issues on here where the switch has failed. I also get an Brake Failure message on the text display when trying to apply the handbrake. No squealing noises at all, but I can't even hear any noise from the motor.
Later today hoeully get access to the motor and the wiring, I don't really want to remove the discs again and remove the whole motor and cables.
I did follow the maintenance mode for the EPB and I have removed the fuse so that it won't attempt to re-apply the handbrake.
Once the spare whell is out, there is a lot of room under the car to sit and work on the fault, especially with it up on axle stands too.
As always the Control Technique (French MOT) is now due so this has to get fixed Sad
 MY05 Discovery 3 G4 LRG4C-14 Stage 3 & 4 Bolivia Team Fleet 49
05HF95 Trailer 3/4 Ton 2 WHD
31FK70 Truck, Utility, 1/2 Ton, 4x4, LHD, Rover Series 1
69ER52 Truck, GS, 1/4 Ton, 4x4 Rover 8
75FL40 Truck, GS, 24v w/winch 1T 4x4 LHD Launcher Towing Rapier Rover 

Post #12298403rd Feb 2014 12:54 pm
lr101fc

handbrake EPB update

So thanks to everyone who has commented on this thread and to Bodsys for his bible on setting up the brakes too. Very Happy

I have managed to get access to the brake module above the rear axle, I can imagine that LR built the chassis, added the axles, props etc then the brake lines, cables and EPB system and then lowered the body over the top.

It was a right pig of a job. Two of the nust holding the mounting plate for the EPB rounded off. The nuts holding the emissions canister were very rusty and undoing the clips seemed to take ages and with the variety of fixing methods too.

So after 3 days of different trips down to the barn after work, I unplugged the EPB module, everything looks ok, no internal damage. Cleaned up everything on the outside especially the power connection. Stripped the rear brake shoes, both levers that are pulled by the brake cable were siezed solid and I removed a lot of dirt, sand, mud from the brake assemblies. Lubricated the relevant parts, re-assembled the brakes. Bled the brake system, adjusted the handbrake.

Tried the handbrake switch - still flashing red light and no noise from the motor Big Cry

Removed the handbrake switch, found sticky liquid underneath - possibly a spilt drink ? Blew air through the switch with the airline, followed bya good tap on the bench and some WD40.
Replaced the switch, now EPB makes a noise and brakes come on.

Put the system into "Bedding in Mode", followed the instructions, approx 30kph and handbrake switch up until it stops, then drive for 500m and repeat switch. Do this for 10 times. Now handbrake holds the car especially on the long hill nearby.

So maybe I should have cleaned the switch first, then the brake shoes and mechanisms and then if that worked would have saved 2 days crawling around underneath - hindsight great tool.

Now booked in for its CT (French MOT) on Thursday so hopefully no more worries Smile

Thanks again everyone who has posted on this thread and to Bodsys for his very useful guide

cheers
Robin

Post #123470011th Feb 2014 10:27 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

A.J.M wrote:
Everyone i know had predicted the RAC would be renting out a room at my house to be local to fix it, hasn't done anything wrong yet.
It's nice to prove people wrong at times... Laughing Whistle

Not the RAC anyway... Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #123475511th Feb 2014 12:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grahamk

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

MY EPB had been acting up, showing all the messages, the car sat for 2 weeks with the battery disconnected, still on when reconnected. by the time I got to mikeys it had cleared. has been back on for 3 weeks. Given up with it
 3 Flash Indicators
Clock on Dash
GVIF & Reverse Camera
D4 Bluetooth
EGR's Blanked 

Post #123604713th Feb 2014 9:03 am
lr101fc

EPB handbrake

So went through the CT (French MOT)
No issues with the handbrake, foot brake, all wheels evenly balanced for braking effort
Just one advisory on a slightly worn upper suspension bush on the rear passenger side.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice on the forum Very Happy

Robin

Post #124340226th Feb 2014 3:50 pm
KatieFace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi All,

I'm new to this so please don't shout at me if I ask a question that's been asked before! Embarassed

I've got a 55 plate D3 (owned since August 2013), which had a full service and four new tyres in January 14. The garage that I took it to advised that I needed new rear pads and discs.

I couldn't have them done straight away so carried on with the worn pads and discs until today (the car is currently in the garage having them sorted).

Since the service in January, I have experienced a very loud 'screeching' noise (I call it "The Scream of Death"!) when I apply the EPB, particularly when on a hill. It doesn't happen every time, but I've been a bit paranoid about the EPB since I bought the car as I've heard so many horror stories, and have therefore been careful about its use.

I've asked the garage to have a look at the EPB today, but they say it's not doing anything of the ordinary (I think it's like when you go to the doctors with a pain, and then the pain goes by the time you get there!). I can't believe that they've been able to engage/disengage the EPB several times this morning without hearing The Scream of Death even once. They've suggested that if it happens again I should take it to Land Rover.

My question is, do you think the Scream of Death/EPB issue could have been a result of the worn rear pads and discs? I've read in various places on the internet that the two are not connected (which I can understand), however it seems strange that the loud noise has started happening at the time when the pads and discs desperately needed replacing, and the garage haven't heard the noise at all now they've been replaced? I read somewhere that the brake shoes are next to the rear discs or something?!

Any help, or similar experiences and likely costs involved would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks x

Post #125179912th Mar 2014 2:42 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Hi KatieFace and welcome!

I've experienced the screeching noise you refer to on a number of occasions on my own D3. It's generally caused by the EPB being incorrectly adjusted and is quite unpleasant and loud. Especially when it does it after arriving home late at night, waking-up the entire street! Shocked

The position of the EPB shoes is controlled by the EPB actuator via cables between the module and the EPB shoe mechanism which is mounted on the rear wheel backing plates/splash guards. The shoes expand and contract inside the internal surface of rear discs to prevent the rear wheels from moving.

As part of replacing the rear discs, I would expect the garage who are doing the work to inspect the EPB shoes and replace them at the same time (if they need replacing). I did mine a few months ago at roughly when the car reached 100,000 miles. They didn't look especially worn but as I was replacing my rear discs and pads I decided to do it at the same time anyway. I don't believe they have been replaced before that. EPB shoes do very little work and wear very slowly.

Even if the shoes don't need replacing, I would expect the garage to strip, clean, and grease the contact points on the backing plate/splash guard so that the shoes move freely. Once the new discs are on, it is extremely important that they adjust the EPB correctly otherwise you could end-up with a jammed EPB.

If you take it to Land Rover, they are more than likely going to say that you need a new EPB actuator module fitting. They will charge you ~£600 for doing the work and the problem will almost certainly go away. The problem may also go away if the EPB is stripped, cleaned, and adjusted correctly, without having to pay for a new EPB module. I suspect far too many of these are replaced unnecessarily.

Hope this helps,

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #125180512th Mar 2014 2:56 pm
KatieFace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks Steve, that is really helpful! I will ring the garage before I pick the car up and see if they have stripped, cleaned and adjusted the brake shoes as you suggest.

Thanks so much, fingers crossed I won't need to involve Land Rover!! x

Post #125180912th Mar 2014 3:03 pm
jasminjamil

Malaysia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I had same problem back here in Malaysia. It's a 2006. Recently I tried applying the EPB while the it's moving slowly. It managed to lock normally minus the screeching noise. Haven't had problem since.

I learnt this trick from a bmw mechanic where i had same epb problem.

Both cars are ok since. Touch wood... I believe this just a quick fix to force the actuator and gears to wind in correct torque.

Post #128743821st May 2014 4:01 pm
square

2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine is also screeching like hell,sent it back to dealer to have a thoroughly check and was told that it needs a new PARKING BRAKE ACTUATOR LoL .But they will have to convince me why it is necessary.
Need to gather more info. from this thread and get it sorted.It's a 2006 4.4 HSE,just passed 50000mile,still in good shape overall.Can't really figure out why it happens.

Post #13509741st Oct 2014 3:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 11 of 18 <123 ... 101112 ... 161718>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >