Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback

Guy Salmon Sheffield - NASA should visit :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ukdavvy

United Kingdom 
Guy Salmon Sheffield - NASA should visit :)

Hello

I have convinced myself/ourselves to consider a D3
It looks pretty perfect for our needs as a family
I still have worries about reliability but what the hell, if I get a good deal it will pay for a couple of years warranty

Anyway.......

What planet are Guy Salmon on in Sheffield?

I must be the only person in the country looking at a new or prereg/ex demo 4x4

I walked in this morning (again)

The first thing I did was introduce myself to the receptionist and ask to see a salesman
The showroom was dead, nobody else was around

One appeared after 5 mins of waiting
(At Audi, BMW and Volvo I was practically mugged when I walked in)
He then let me kick the tyres of a couple of cars - fair enough

I still have reservations about an SUV and asked about test driving it for a day
I have been offered whole weekends at the competition

At this point he looked at me as if I had stood on something when I walked across the car park

I could have the car for an hour or two, if I was lucky I got the impression, and with a £1000 insurance excess
Please note the excess for a Q7 or an X5 has been quoted to me at less than half that for a whole lot longer test

He then asked for my details and I also asked for his so I could negotiate with the rest of the family and actually arrange a test drive

The showroom is on 2 levels and is mostly open plan
He went upstairs to his office and started a conversation with another member of staff in there
After 5 mins he still hadnt finished it and I got bored and left

My thoughts can be summarised as follows:

Much as I like the D3 I have issues with its reliability
If the local dealer treats me like this when I have 45k burning a hole in my pocket what will they do when I have multiple warranty issues?

Does Sheffield have an unusually healthy 4x4 market and so they dont need my business at the moment in stark contrast to the rest of the country?

Or is this dealer not actually on the same planet as the rest of us?

Audi, BMW and Volvo have bent over backwards to help me
Discounts have been similarly impressive
They have all been forward in telling me how much 3 year old 4x4's trade for which has been welcome and has also helped me negotiate with them

My experience at Land Rover staggers me
Especially as its pretty obvious how much a 2 year old D3 is worth let alone an older one

Is all of Guy Salmon the same or are the local outlet unusual?
I ask as my wife had a similarly frosty reception there on her own recently too

Cheers fellas

Theo

Post #33797229th Aug 2008 11:51 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

And there you have it, Land Rovers biggest problem by far, feckwit apathetic dealers! Evil or Very Mad

There are some good ones out there Theo, but you may have to travel a bit for one Confused
 The End  
Post #33799430th Aug 2008 6:14 am
Rugby Man

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ripon Land Rover top quality .

Post #33800030th Aug 2008 8:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Apalling!!!

I'd take a run down to Gordon Lamb in Chesterfield.

I had an issue with my D3 that my supplying dealer [Armstrong Massey, York] wouldn't look at when I popped in.
I happened to pop in to GL and was treated exceptionally well.
They looked at the vehicle immediately and plied me with coffee.
[ but that was with the service staff - don't know how the sales staff are though]
Excellent service ...and I didn't even buy it from them!

They no doubt will collect from you for servicing - my new dealer does and they're nearly twice the distance.

But I'd give GL a tel call first just to suss them out.

As for the D3 ... you won't be dissapointed.
I've ran mine since new, now with 109k on the clock.
Not even thinking about selling.
It's the most reliable and pleasing vehicle I've ever owned.
It's abilities never cease to amaze me, even 3.5yr on!
Warning though ...it becomes a way of life!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #33800630th Aug 2008 8:48 am
ronp

Rugby Man wrote:
Ripon Land Rover top quality .

Yep, that's who I've moved to!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #33800730th Aug 2008 8:49 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

If thats their attitude when you want to buy one, imagine their attitude and lack of help after you've bought one Evil or Very Mad

however, its all down to the individual dealer. I had what sounds like an exact experience with the BMW Dealer at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol a few years ago. I walked out, went straight upto the Merc dealer 1/2 mile away and bought a £43k E-Class. I was so so Censored off with the BMW Dealer that I went back to see the Head Honcho at the BMW dealer and told him he'd just missed out on a £43k sale cos of "that bloke over there". He wasnt impressed and as I left was making a very fast b-line for the said salesman....

Dont do as i did though, try another dealer as they are'nt all the same, the D3 is the best car ive ever had. It acts as a executive car, gets loaded up for family stuff, copes with ooddles of mud and then cleansup back to executive car with a hover and a few wet cloths..
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #33801130th Aug 2008 8:59 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sadly this is the same story that my friend told me me when he went to Guy Salmon in Stockport.

He had his heart set on a brand new HSE - he even had the list of extras he wanted to order ready for the salesman. He had just sold his 911, and had cash waiting, it was the easiest sale that GS could have had.

Anyway, he had tried Merc, Audi, BMW and had been loaned each of the X5, Q7, GL for a weekend to try the vehicle out.

He deliberately left the Land Rover until last because he new he really wanted one. Then he was treated very poorly, and your story is the exact same one he told me. Apparently it is "group policy" not to loan cars on unaccompanied test drives. Sytner Group own Guy Salmon, so it sounds like a group policy that they should change.

He was so put off, he now has a Q7 Neutral

Like already said, you may have to travel, but there are some dealers who are much better. The independant dealers seem better geared up for customer service in the sales department.

I have to say, I have absolutely no problems with Guy Salmon for the service and warranty attention I have had, they have been excellent in this aspect.

Post #33801330th Aug 2008 8:59 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Is it worth contacting LR Customer Care to get a 48hours loaner. I know when i was choosing cars a few years ago I had to contact Fords Customer Care dept and they arranged 48 hours test drives. you booked with them and then the car was delivered by a local dealer. Do LR operate a similar scheme.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #33801730th Aug 2008 9:11 am
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

My first Discovery was purchased from Hatfields in Sheffield, but for some reason they lost the LR franchise and it was transferred to Hallamshire LR (part of the Sytner group), later renamed to Guy Salmon - I'm still surprised that they have not lost the franchise as well!

I have tried to purchase 2 Discovery's from them (one in 1999 and the other in 2002) on both occasions their sales staff have been very unhelpful - rude, never returned calls, would give no discount and generally not interested. I had them do some warranty work as I used to work accross the road from them - bad mistake as problems tended to take at least 3 visits and very often my car was damaged whilst with them - never used them again.

I have puchased 4 Discoverys from Gordon Lamb since 99 and have used them for all servicing and warranty work, their service and sales staff are very friendly and helpful. I am not saying that I have not had the odd small problem but they have always sorted things out and never at my expense.

My salesman was called David Smith if you would like to contact him (his day off is Thursday) and you can get him on 01246 269000.
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #33807230th Aug 2008 12:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronp

WOODY179 wrote:
My salesman was called David Smith if you would like to contact him (his day off is Thursday) and you can get him on 01246 269000.

here's the man.

Post #33807430th Aug 2008 1:11 pm
ringoosmeg

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thankfully my experiences of most of the LR dealerships have been good, the only one I wont deal with is one in the Stafford area, whos service deprtament was appaling and verry very rude/arogant.

However, i have suffered poor salesmen when looking for a new comapny car, most agents were fine and helpfull, but twice I found Toyota dealers to be very bad.
One in Stoke, I wondered round inside the showroom....no one came, so went out side, eventually someone came up to me to see if I wanted help, I said yes Im intersested in a new Avensis.....he looked at me and said they'll deal with you in there (he was a second hand used man), and he promptly walked off....
So I went back inside, started tyre kicking and fiddling with cars....still no one bothered to see me....then after 15minutes a chap poked his head out of a door in the parts department, and asked if I needed help, yes I said, can you point me in the direction of the nearest VW dealer.

I now drive a new Passat for work! ( and the D3 for play)

Ringo

Post #33833231st Aug 2008 12:00 pm
smitht2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I just bought an 56-plate SE from Guy Salmon Sheffield 2 weeks ago, and I had good service, so I think it is down to the salesman. Knowing the market is saturated with 4x4s, I use e-mail to 5 or 6 LR dealers and waited to see who could be bothered to respond - I was doing a p/ex. Dennis Roy at Sheffield was by far the most respondent, replying to e-mails promptly and being patient until I was ready to talk by phone. Went in and bought one in a single visit though, so don't know about test drive policies etc. Also not needed servicing of course, so no experience of that.

It was an interesting negotation too since the vehicle I went to see (which had been in stock for ages) got sold as I arrived, but they had a duplicate that had just arrived. They wanted me to pay more for the same age/mileage vehicle just because it had only just arrived and they only reduce the price after it has sat on ther forecourt for enough time. The main sales guy(Dave) came down and explained himself, and I told him I understood completely, but I had 13k in my pocket + value of p/ex and I said that I was confident that within 2 hours of leaving them and getting on the phone to other LR dealers I'd be able to secure a vehicle. After a quick um and ah, I got the car at the same reduced price! Smile I know they still made money - as they quite rightly should do, and I'm happy with a nice low mileage car in good nick.

Now if I could just find an after-market sound-proof privacy screen like you see in limos that I could fit to separate me and SWMBO from the 4 kids who can now all fit into the car it would be worth any amount of money!!

Post #33846531st Aug 2008 7:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >