DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

GS seat comfort
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
shakey

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
GS seat comfort

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my disco 4 gs, the drivers seat seems to cause back ache after about 20 min's, it feels like the seat is out of alignment but I can't see anything obvious.

I've had the dealer check it and they say it seems fine, but the issue still continues which really does spoil the cars drive, I owned a disco 3 gs before this one for 4 years and never had this problem, also driving VW and Audi's on regular basis no issue.

Has anyone else experienced a problem with the seat or driving position, I've asked LR to replace the seat but they say until they identify a fault they cannot do this.

help appreciated

shakey

Post #67189614th Jul 2010 6:24 pm
portslen

That sounds familiar!

I took delivery of my GS in the last week of June. During the first week I developed an ache in the lower back area, on one side. Whilst I instantly linked it with the new car, I hoped it wasn't the case and blamed it on heavy lifting on the farm. I made lots of seat adjustments and hoped the problem would go away.

However, I have just returned from a 1100 mile fishing trip to Scotland and am seriously suffering from back pain. I am now convinced that the seat is the problem. I feel that I am slightly twisted round and not sitting square to the steering wheel.

I am a first time Discovery owner, having had a long line of Landcruisers that have all worked very hard in my farming operations. My initial impressions are that the D4 is an amazingly powerful car that is brilliant on tarmac, and because of the electronic gizmos, very capable at slow speeds off road.

However, I really do miss the Landcruiser for its far superior comfort across fields/rough ground and at high speed on farm tracks.

Because of it's low profile tyres, the D4 will never be good across rough ground, and I knew that when I bought the car. However, I had not expected my health to suffer from the seating position. If I cannot get a resolution to the problem, there will be a Stornoway GS with 2000 miles for sale very shortly!

(I cannot find it, but somewhere on here there was another chap who had to sell his D4 because of recurring back ache attributed to the seats)

I will take this up with LR and see what they have to say.

Post #67324218th Jul 2010 2:43 pm
shakey

This does indeed sound similiar the feeling on my gs is that you sit slightly twisted and the right side of your back is not supported fully, as I said never an issue in the disco3 or any other car for that matter.

I have logged the issue with suplying dealer and LR customer care, have requested they either replace the seat or loan me another GS to prove its a seat design issue not a fault - no response.

Does anyone have an email address of someone high up in Land rover customer care as the current advisor just seems to ignore both email and phone contact.

shakey

Post #67378819th Jul 2010 8:33 pm
ilron

Norway 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

I have developed the same back ache as described above, I wonder if it is a problem with seat alignment as I did not have this experience on the demo I borrowed for a weekend, or perhaps the demo was just softened by more use?

Post #67381519th Jul 2010 9:04 pm
moleac

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Not sure how you are getting on with this but I too recently took the plunge and bought a D4 GS. So far (touch wood), I haven't experienced any discomfort with the drivers seat / driving position even after being in the car for a 2 hour stretch without a break.

I've still only covered 500 miles so the seat isn't yet broken in but if you want to come and try my D4 you are more than welcome. At least that way you might be able to work out whether it's your particular seat that's a problem. I'm in London . Bishop's Stortford / IOW on a fairly regular basis and would be happy to meet up.

Post #67757329th Jul 2010 8:07 am
Lookers Park Royal

United Kingdom 

I run a GS as a demonstrator (with leather), therefore if anyone wants to try it then please let me know. It isn't always on site so please check first. Not sure if the leather would make a difference, however I have not had any back problems from driving it (I do a 100 mile round trip).

I do suffer from lower back pain from time to time (lumbar) and had been advised whilst getting medical treatment that it was because I changed my car. How true this is, I don't know, but aparantly when you change the seating position you will use different muscles to a greater or lesser extent, and depending on the lateral support and road holding of the vehicle you could suffer some discomfort.

I try to sit as upright as I comfortably can so as to support my weight vertically as opposed to having a reclined position that causes you to support your back when cornering with your lower back as opposed to your upper back (when upright).

James Thumbs Up

Post #67815930th Jul 2010 3:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steve in Germany

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Remember this thread.......

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic52422.html

Post #67817230th Jul 2010 4:04 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

i use the 3 different programs to change my seating position every hour or so on a long drive,,,

i've had a broken back so sitting in one position for any length of time is painful

tbh the D3 seats are not the most supportive..
 one wife.......livid  
Post #67817530th Jul 2010 4:14 pm
shakey

Hi,

Still no joy with the seat, I've now escalated this with Land rover customer service(sent email to the MD that got a quick response), but they advise me no other discovery 4 owners have reported the problem, would it be possible if you have this problem to log a call with Land rover as they then may take this seriously.

let me know how you get on.

Shakey

Post #6887282nd Sep 2010 5:59 pm
Lookers Park Royal

United Kingdom 

Shaky,

Not sure where you are in the UK but you are welcome to come and drive our demo. I did over 1000 miles in one week and did not suffer any issues. Confused

May be worth comparing to another D4?

James Thumbs Up

Post #6887322nd Sep 2010 6:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
portslen

The saga continues with mine too!

My dealer let me have an HSE for a while to see how the seat compared. It was comfortable, supportive, had endless adjustments and made the GS feel like a wooden plank. I have investigated putting an HSE seat into mine, but am told that the GS will not be able to operate the HSE seat due to the different wiring loom in the car. (Although I am sure that an hour or two in my farm workshop will see to that!). Plus it will "invalidate my Warranty", which seems like nonsense.

I have reported my dis-satisfaction with the GS seat to Land Rover's customer services. They are terribly sorry that the seat doesn't feel quite right, but are unable to suggest a solution for me.
The supplying dealer has been very helpful, but has drawn a blank with good ideas on how to make the seat comfortable.

I am considering selling the car after only 2 months and 4300 miles. The trouble is.......what to get next?

It's either back to a Landcruiser, which I've been testing today. (Although it has a soft but supportive seat and is very comfy over rough ground, it now seems terribly slow, unrefined and noisy)

Or it is into a 3 year old Range Rover TDV8. (Which my dealer is advising me against. Old technology compared to the D4)

It's all very tiresome.

Post #6887422nd Sep 2010 6:20 pm
shakey

Thanks Lookers Park Royal, I'm in the north Midlands but if Land Rover can't find me another GS to try I'll certainly take you up on the offer of trying your GS.

Does anyone know the difference between the GS Cloth Seat and the Leather version is it just the covering, or are the seat different in construction.

Shakey

Post #6894144th Sep 2010 9:56 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

My advice to those with bad backs would be to keep an eye out on ebay for Range Rover Sport or Discovery 4 leather seats. There's a pair of cream RRS seats on there at the moment from equicar, and they had a several pairs of cream D4 seats too, not seen any for a bit but worth an ask.

If I can fit a pair of D4 seats in my Dad's FL2, and a pair of RRS seats in my D3, then I'd be very surprised if it's not possible to fit D4 or RRS seats in a lower spec D4. Even if the wiring was not all there, it's not beyond the wit of man to add to a vehicle's wiring loom as required.

'Voiding warranty' claims from dealers are bull. Obviously, you'll no longer have any warranty on the seats, but it's not going to affect anything else, is it? Rolling Eyes

Post #6894254th Sep 2010 10:15 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I remember this being a bit of an issue early on in D3 life.
Base / S spec cars seamed to have a short seat base which caused some people lots of problems.
I had an S spec back then and although I didnt have bad problems they certainly werent the most comfortable.
The 05 HSE we have now, even with a slightly sunk looking base after 70k is ver comfortable.

Post #6894284th Sep 2010 10:20 pm
portslen

I now officially have THE most expensive drivers seat in the parish.

I have traded in my 10 week old GS for a 10 week old HSE. Just to get a seat that I find comfortable! It's a bloody expensive and extravagant solution to my seat comfort problems, but I had got to the end of my tether with the seat in the GS.

The dealers looked after me well and I am lucky that they had a demo car that I liked the colour of. (Nara Bronze)

Hopefully the end of the GS seat comfort thread for me. And the end of spending for quite some time!

Post #6897105th Sep 2010 9:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >