Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Greetings from ............ Trip #2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 32 of 44 <123 ... 313233 ... 424344>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

A few pretty scenery pics from sunny Perth. It’s been up around 37c today with full sun so too toastie to do much, glad we weren’t here in 43c over Christmas.

Pic of HMAS Ovens. No jokes please re HMAS Hobbs and HMAS Microwaves, SWMBO’s already heard them from me. Tours were all booked up so couldn’t get in the boat.

Click image to enlarge

Then a bit of harbour watching, it’s always great watching other peeps work when you’re sitting in the sun with an icecream. Thumbs Up There were quite a few car transporters in at the time, plus assorted other ships.

Click image to enlarge

We spent about 1/2 a day on Thursday shopping in Perth and walking around Kings Park. Fantastic views of Perth and the Swan River. Plus nice botanic gardens with no monkeys!! Striking place for the War Memorial, interesting seeing this in Perth compared with the CWGC cemeteries on the Somme.

Click image to enlarge

Said fantastic view of central Perth.

Click image to enlarge

Yesterday was a “cruise” on the Swan River down to Fremantle again. Didn’t get off, just stayed in the same places & watched the other side go past. Peeps wind surfing. Looks good but in some places it seemed there were more jelly fish than river water. Deffo would not like to have to swim with those chaps in there. Shocked

Click image to enlarge

And more car transporters. The one shown above was still there a day later.

Click image to enlarge

Today we took the ferry across to South Perth. Dragon lizard type thingie welcoming us with lots of shade. Most appreciated.

Click image to enlarge

And it was Great views of Perth CBD (Cent Business District in Aussie parlance). Good to see Sergei and co were here on holibobs. He’s the taller one on the right, well it is Compare the Meerkats. Whistle Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Black swan on the, you guessed it, Swan River. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

And then back to the hotel. It was well toastie and the sun was scorchio so shopping time then back to the hotel. It was officially FMJ #2 time, but SWMBO weirding the clippers. Haircuts here seem to start at A$30, prob no discount for lack of hair, so set of clippers were purchased for $21 so immediately quits in. Thumbs Up

Proof of the pud.

Click image to enlarge

Not sure what we’re doing tomorrow, our last full day here. It’s going to be a bit cooler, only 32c, so can get back to trekking around. Thumbs Up

And yes, the cap looks well scaggie, it’s officially not very colour fast. This was how it started in June.

Click image to enlarge

Now on the look out for a new cap, unfortunately SWMBO has dibs on this one, we can’t wear the same hats. Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

PS And beautiful post sunset sky tonight, without the bushfire smoke we had a couple of days ago with a fire not far south of Perth. Shocked

Click image to enlarge

PPS Lovely old float plane in hiding in the ferry jetty area. An old Grummen Seacat. And yes I had to google the tail number to see what it was, a first for me. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #211214211th Jan 2020 12:33 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Glad to hear Perth is not too toastie (in both senses of the word)

Little concerned about Mrs Del weirding the clippers Rolling with laughter
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #211218311th Jan 2020 2:50 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

SWMBO has been cutting my flowing locks for a couple of decades now. We’ve saved a small fortune for the cost of some clippers, luckily SWMBO’s not realised that cutthroat razors are cheaper. Whistle Whistle

Last few pics from Perth. The Big Aussie Adventure continues by hire car with 4 weeks touring the coastal areas of WA. Will be heading S to Bunbury, via a few pins in the iPad map. Mr. Green Me navigating, SWMBO driving and we should get there. Thumbs Up

Last wonky pano of Swan River & Perth from Kings Park. No, wasn’t on the vino just then. Honest. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

And up for a view of mostly trees from the DNA Tower. It was pretty windy up there so that explains SWMBO hanging on for dear life. That and our shared not keenness of heights, if that makes sense.

Click image to enlarge

There’s 1,800 trees in the park along the avenues that are to commemorate the fallen Aussie soldiers in WW1.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It was by pure chance that the first plaque we came across was for a soldier that died at Pozieres, somewhere I visited several years ago with some friends from here. Not my pic (can’t find it) but lots and lots of Aussie soldiers resting here.

Click image to enlarge

https://www.everyoneremembered.org/profiles/soldier/1461466/

Most poignant for me.

Click image to enlarge

Looking forward to getting on the road tomorrow, first stop is an island in the Swan River that has Kangeroos. Skippy here we come, look photogenic. Thumbs Up

Last edited by DSL on 12th Jan 2020 2:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #211240612th Jan 2020 2:34 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

ianm27 wrote:
Little concerned about Mrs Del weirding the clippers Rolling with laughter

SWMBO noticed this, I didn’t. Embarassed Embarassed Deffo a Freudian slip. Thumbs Up

Post #211240912th Jan 2020 2:45 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Or you imbibe in more vino than Mrs Del Whistle
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #211241212th Jan 2020 3:33 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Not tonight, MrsDel had a couple of glasses of VinCol with scoff, I stuck to the Wild Yak beer. Whistle Whistle

Then a short after dinner stagger stroll to the local BWS grog shop and a bottle of Margaret River red. BWS (Beer, Wine, Spirits) puts out supermarkets & off licences to shame. Already signed up to the Woolworths Rewards points loyalty card. Thumbs Up

Post #211241312th Jan 2020 3:40 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

And greetings from Margaret River. Will bung up some pics of last 2 days travels shortly, just got a second bottle of MR white to schlup. While watching a kookaburra. And SWMBO is warming her hands on my neck, not because she wants the life insurance but coz I may have overdone it in the sun today. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Post #211299015th Jan 2020 10:15 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Right, bit of a backlog of pics. Embarassed

Firstly, the Aviation Heritage Museum of Perth. I was like a kid in a sweet shop. There’s stuff large and small, artefacts from early Aussie aviation to Vietnam to chunks of Skylab. It is truly magical for anyone with any interest in aircraft that fly and the peeps that look after these pieces of history should hold their heads up high. Bow down Bow down Bow down

An absolutely fantastic Catalina, first time I’ve been UC&P with one. And yes, I fell for the “did you see where the door was” ruse. Embarassed Embarassed

Click image to enlarge

SWMBO thought the pedals were footrests for the pilots. Shocked Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Huey in the gap between the buildings.

Click image to enlarge

Fantastic condition, way better than the one I clambered over next to the Ch Chi tunnels in the Iron Triangle.

Click image to enlarge

Not sure re the Aussie logo on the side. We haven’t seen a single ‘roo and think they are just a creation of the Aussie Tourist Board. Like Nessie, not sure they exist. Shocked Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Lovely C-47.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last one of these I saw was at Gataw having been used in the Berlin Airlift. We’re sleeping in one next Tuesday, SWMBO hopes it’s a bit more comfy than this!!

Click image to enlarge

Some general aircraft pics.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And then the Lanc, the king of the show, with the queen of the show being the Catalina.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now this may seem daft but this was my fave exhibit, an F-111 escape capsule.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Maybe it’s coz I’ve got a cat’s chance of fitting in it. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Sneaky shot of 3 of the volunteers. They’ve done a fantastic job of creating a fantastic museum, hats off to them. Bow down Bow down Bow down

Click image to enlarge

More pics of travels after the museum to follow. Thumbs Up

Post #211302415th Jan 2020 12:37 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Jumping back slightly, we’re now in a hire car. Travelling by public transport ( I know an alien concept to many here Whistle ) isn’t practical in Aus outside the big cities so we have this beastie for 4 weeks for the princely sum of £27 a day with zero excesses and upgraded breakdown cover. Cheap as chipolattas. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Then off out of The Big WA Smoke (Perth) and to Lake Clifton for Thrombolites.

Click image to enlarge

Note wind as shown by the waves. Then note chap wading to retrieve his hat.

Click image to enlarge

By that stage my cap was safely stowed in my pocket. On the walk back to the car we clocked a good few hats that had blown off and not been retrieved.

Then down to Bunbury where we were staying. Most restaurants were closed on Mondays so in search of food we found ourselves at the sea front area and were rewarded with a real treat.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

4 dolphins swimming and playing, truely magical. Needless to say our binoculars were still in the car glove box. Rolling Eyes

And yesterday, bit of a drive inland heading to Wellington Reservoir. Really nice roads there, very scenic and nice little driving day.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Note the 4x4s on the shore. Here, as others have said, they take their off-roading seriously and have some fantastic combos. 99% non LR but plenty of toyed up Toyotas, Nissans, Fords and Mitsus to drool over. Plus Caravans many here would sell all their children to own. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Car wash?

Click image to enlarge

And then here. Yes Gnomesville does exist.

Click image to enlarge

Quite sweet and I can see why it’s taken off. It’s a mix of dumping surplus gnomes, marking “I woz ‘ere”, remembering lost friends and relies to plain barmy reasons. It’s a regular gnome from gnome for them. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then back to enjoy a trio of salad bowls from the Bunbury Farmers Market with a bottle of Margaret River white. And red. Well would have been rude not to have tried both. Whistle

Post #211303915th Jan 2020 1:32 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

And today.

Bussleton Pier.

Click image to enlarge

1,841m of pier out from the shore.

Click image to enlarge

Not surprised the birds need a breather.

Click image to enlarge

Though they could have taken the train, which we didn’t.

Click image to enlarge

Re sun “tan” pic earlier, this is where the slight over exposure to that big yellow ball in the sky occurred. Embarassed Embarassed

Then back to the car, via the icecream shop. We now see the downside of having a white hire car. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Then down to the capes and the SW corner of Aus. No pics of Cape Naturaliste as we were absolutely mobbed by flies. You couldn’t open your mouth, they were flying up my schnoze and we bombed out pretty sharpish. We’d previously sprayed up with bug repellent but that made no difference, they seemed to enjoy 50% DEET. Rolling Eyes

A few pics from the coast S of there. Gorgeous coastline. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Tomorrow is a day’s tour consisting of Margaret River wine, beer and food. It’s going to be fun. Hic. Thumbs Up

Post #211304515th Jan 2020 1:55 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Been a while since I was on here, so first things first... Happy New Year everyone!

Great pics Del Thumbs Up Keep them coming and enjoy the sun Snigger
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #211318515th Jan 2020 10:15 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Cheers bud, will do. Though today was enjoying the vino, full day of wine tasting, starting just before 10am. Shocked Shocked

And HNY to you, MrsH and those lovely doggies. Thumbs Up

Couldn’t resist a few bottles to takeaway. Some really scrummy bottles that will have to live in the back of the hire car for a while, well a few days anyway. Whistle Whistle

Click image to enlarge

My fave out of the lot from the ratings is the Brown Hills Chaffers on the extreme left, we’ll save that for our night in the Dakota. Thumbs Up

And a nice liveried up Deafner at one of the estates. For the fans on here. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Back on the road tomorrow, heading further south. Will be more careful with the sun, my neck still feels like my own personal fusion reactor. Embarassed Embarassed

Oh, and at last we’ve spotted Skippy and two of his mates. They bounded across the road a hundred m or so in front of us, deffo not using the Green Cross Code! Shocked

Post #211327416th Jan 2020 1:02 pm
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Greats pics Bow down Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #211327816th Jan 2020 1:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Great pics Del. Are you planning on driving north from Perth? Broome, Katherine gorge etc?
It's a lovely part of the world.
Looking forward to seeing more pics from Aus. Thumbs Up
 Today is the oldest you've been and the youngest you'll ever be again.  
Post #211330516th Jan 2020 2:43 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Yes, heading N of Perth but only as far as Exmouth then head back to Perth before flying to Melbourne then on to Hobart. Saving Broome Kathrine and parts North for another trip. Thumbs Up

Post #211330716th Jan 2020 2:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 32 of 44 <123 ... 313233 ... 424344>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >