Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Greetings from ...........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 37 of 66 <123 ... 363738 ... 646566>
MrH

United Kingdom 

Small parcel box and mail it back to UK - send it to me and I’ll keep safe until you collect it when you’re back
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #203790918th Mar 2019 8:29 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Will think about that. Will put excess u/wear (non laundered) in the box as well as the coffee pack, just for insurance. Whistle Whistle

And the big news from here, after 5 weeks in the country someone gets spotted. Shocked Rubbish pic but it was a “that looks familiar” moment and forgot re camera until it was past us. D4, not 3. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Went up to the big lake, not much to see apart from greyness. Then went off in search of the B-52 parts in the lake. Lots of small alleys, quite an “interesting” experience. No cars but bit tight with motorbikes.

Click image to enlarge

Found it, right where it should have been. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Good to see the locals were making the most of it. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

And then off to find the B-52 Victory Museum, unfortunately we want the long way round, the very long way round with lots of alley ways. Not my finest navigating. Embarassed

Click image to enlarge

The museum is basically a reconstructed B-52D, no idea if from just one aircraft or a collage. That and some SA-2s & AAA pieces.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Tail gunner’s position.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And the obligatory Fishbed under a blue canopy. What is it with those blue canopies? Confused

Click image to enlarge

Then back to hotel by bus, incl risking our lives in our hands crossing a major road, don’t get me started on Hanoi traffic. All followed by a long soak in the tub. Cocktails start in 60 minutes. Mr. Green

Last edited by DSL on 18th Mar 2019 10:42 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #203794618th Mar 2019 10:32 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

buy a similar sized tupperware container and put it in that and then in your luggage

glad your enjoying it we loved it (except the trains) we picked up a load of dried spices in the markets and did that although i was waiting for customs to pull me in at heathrow >>

take a sweater if you go to see old HO its flipping cold in there and the ques a mile long with loads of rude pushy chinese so get your elbows out

he looks remarkably good considering but i doubt theres much left of the original apparently he goes to china for 2 months a year for " restoraton "
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #203795018th Mar 2019 10:40 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Strangely we loved the trains. We’ve only done daylight trains, only a delay put us into darkness. We’re off to Dien Bien Phu for a couple of days at the end of the week so get to experience the delights of Vietnam Airlines ATR72s. I just hope we don’t get the seat in line with the prop disc as I did in the Carribean a couple of years ago, that is scary. Shocked

Post #203801218th Mar 2019 1:17 pm
mark the spark

the bogs on the night sleepers are " interesting" Shocked

we did overnight hanoi to the middle then on down again overnight to Saigon
MY10 HSE D4 auto

Post #203807618th Mar 2019 5:20 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

We made the corporate decision to avoid the sleepers and o/night trains all together. We’ll be doing the whole Reunification Express but in chunks (just Nha Trang to Saigon to do) but all in daylight so we can see the country slide, lurch and crawl past. Thumbs Up

Cultural museum day today, will be well educated by the end. Mr. Green And the temps are due to be up into the high 20s so back in shorts, lucky Hanoi! Laughing Mind you really toastie in HCM over next couple of days, temps forecast to be up to 36c!! Shocked

Post #203824119th Mar 2019 2:30 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Morning folks, back safe and sound despite the best efforts of Hanoi’s traffic.

Now did I say culture or did I say culture? I give you the Hanoi Opera House. Well from the other side of the street where the bus dropped us off. Crossing roads just to get a closer pic is not a habit I want to start. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Then up past the Hoan Kiem lake, the one went to on Saturday. Bit more frantic as roads were open. Needless to say this sign was generally ignored.

Click image to enlarge

And to the market area to the north of the lake. Pretty packed, motcycles everywhere and an interesting experience. Couple of pics.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

They sold great little sesame doughnut balls, straight from the wok and 50p for 10 of these pieces of heaven.

Click image to enlarge

And the dance that is Hanoi traffic, this is with light traffic as it was a bit wet so most of the men retreat to a coffee shop. Remember here men are only useful for breeding, all the important jobs are done by women. Thumbs Up

Still haven’t tried coconut coffee, tomorrow as it’s due to be up to 30c again. Boooooootiful temp. Thumbs Up

And then on to the Hoa Lo prison, better know to my generation as the Hanoi Hilton, the one without points for staying there. Pretty grim place, the French weren’t that nice to the locals. A few pics, the first was worth crossing the road for. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Note the glass embedded in the top of of the wall, a pretty common practise here today. Sometimes it’s at low level so you have to be careful where you lean or brush your hands when walking.

Click image to enlarge

A wall with “details” of American captured airmen and their captors. Senator McCain is up there, we were thinking of going to his memorial on the West Lake but it would be too difficult as he died from the same condition as my brother.

Click image to enlarge

Then back to the hotel in time for tea and medals, deffo need the latter with all those road crossings. Thumbs Up

Post #203831319th Mar 2019 11:59 am
mark the spark

we were told the trick is just step out and keep walking and make eye contact with the moped rider and they will just manouvre around you whatever you do dont stop or you get hit Shocked it takes some nerve but it does work. or i wouldnt be typing this Laughing
MY10 HSE D4 auto

Post #203832119th Mar 2019 12:14 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

We’ve been doing a fair bit of that recently, getting reasonably good at it and reading whether the bikes are going to go in front or behind. Once today SWMBO became hazard fixated on a car and froze half way across. A very swift shout of “move, move, MOOOOOOVE!!! got her across. Thumbs Up

Post #203832419th Mar 2019 12:18 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Incredibly brave of you to shout at Mrs Del, even if her life depended on it Rolling with laughter
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #203839619th Mar 2019 5:10 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

If it happens again I might remember my place and raise my hand for permission to speak. Whistle Whistle

Now where can I buy life ins in Hanoi that doesn’t class crossing roads as a hazardous activity? Laughing Laughing

Now I’m really in trouble. Snigger

Post #203856120th Mar 2019 1:43 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Morning folks, hope life in the UK is all going well. Thumbs Up

Today was anther bus ride into Hanoi. I’m cartainly glad we’re wrapped in a big blue bus and amazed any Vietnamese moto riders actually live to tell the tale!! Mind you, this chap had his evening drinking sorted for tonight. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Then off to see Uncle Ho, in the flesh(ish). Queues weren’t too bad, about 50 minutes, and was great fun watching the Vietnamese Army chap react to a Chinese lady having a pic taken of her and the building before going in. She was marched off to the place to leave her phone and we assume a lecture in the rights and wrongs of her attitude. Weird thing is after you’ve walked past Uncle Ho and out the building you can take all the pics of the mausoleum you want. In the building, which has booooooootiful AC, you walk past the body and past about a dozen armed guards. And weirdest thing is some of the guards were taller than me, and I’m 6ft. Certainly they have good reactions as soon as the Chinese couple behind me entered the room her phone started ringing. Don’t get me started on Chinese tourists!! And to quote SWMBO, Uncle Ho was looking pretty well. For anyone going to Hanoi it’s a must do, don’t let the queues put you off. Thumbs Up

Me looking suitably somber & respectful.

Click image to enlarge

And a group of school kids, one of many groups, being coached to do the Citizen Smith salute in front of a statue of Uncle Ho. Coaching wasn’t really working.

Click image to enlarge

Then off to the pagoda at the E end of West Lake. Lots of tourists and worshipers. Also saw a baby terrapin in the lake. Hopefully it’s not going to end up as dinner for peeps once it’s a lot bigger.

Click image to enlarge

And back to the hotel for late lunch. We’ve been eating far too many little nibbles so nice to have a full scoff. And what do you have in Vietnam when needing a good scoff? Pizza!

Click image to enlarge

One more day here, Ethnology museum tomorrow then fly to Dien Bien Phu on Friday and our first experience of Vietnamese Airlines. Kind of looking forward to being on the the move again. Thumbs Up

Post #203863320th Mar 2019 12:19 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I guess you didn’t test whether Uncle Ho was real or made out of vax? Whistle

Post #203863820th Mar 2019 12:29 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

OK, I didn’t emphasis enough the fact that the soldiers were armed. Whistle Whistle

Post #203863920th Mar 2019 12:31 pm
mark the spark

He is in good nick for a bloke whos been dead for 50+ yrs looks like hes just having a nap

the single post pagoda and his own living space and cars are worth a look

the PA playing the brainwashing music outside does wear you down tho .. and yes those chinese just dont get queing do they
MY10 HSE D4 auto

Post #203871120th Mar 2019 5:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 37 of 66 <123 ... 363738 ... 646566>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >