Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

GREEDY DEALERS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
COMMANDO

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
GREEDY DEALERS

I was looking to trade in my Disco 3 for a new Freelander HSE so I spoke to a salesman at one of my local Land Rover dealers.Seeing the exact same model advertised for £31995 I thought that I might be offered a good price for mine!They offered £26000 and no price reduction on the Freelander.Needless to say I declined the offer and will take all my future business elsewhere.I should add that I have bought several new vehicles from this garage in the past!

Post #14856516th Apr 2007 12:08 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I know my local dealer can sell very FL2 he can get in a matter of days, so discounts on them are skinny to nil. Used cars are a different matter, and it's not uncommon to get a £32k car for £30k if you are persistent (ask me how I know Mr. Green )

Taking this into account, and accepting there are a limited number of people for any given used spec vehicle, the dealer will be wanting to shift on the current stock used car and will expect to see yours sell at some point down the road. Assuming your car sells in a couple of months off their forecourt and a persistent haggler is the buyer, they may end up seeing it off the forecourt for £28-29k? Perhaps not the daylight robbery it first appears to be.

Shame the dealer didn't think to talk this through with you; he may have kept you onside to talk numbers a bit more seriously.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #14856916th Apr 2007 12:22 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I was considering a downgrade to a FL2, but I had assumed it wouldn't save any money. I do like the FL2. They are nice to drive.
However, a diesel automatic FL2 with reasonable amount of toys costs the same as my 12 month old HSE is worth, so what's the point?
 Matt  
Post #14861616th Apr 2007 2:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

2 different vehicles for different purposes in my opinion

FL2 is good but remember, you'd be beta-testing one if bought this year Rolling Eyes
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #14862516th Apr 2007 3:05 pm
d3matt

Doctor Diesel wrote:
2 different vehicles for different purposes in my opinion

But the same price. A top spec FL2 is £35,000 Shocked
 Matt  
Post #14862616th Apr 2007 3:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Doctor Diesel

exactly, if you need the off-road excellence and 7 seat space get a d3, if you want fuel efficiency, sporty handling and only 5 seats and a small boot, get the FL2......price is academic.....you can have a d3 basic for less than a FL2 tarted up if functionality is important

Its always a mugs game chopping in cars on the steepest part of the depreciation curve (ie 1st year)

You have to ask yourself what benefits a FL2 will bring over a D3.......answer is certainly not financial as the D3 at 1 year has taken a big hit whereas a new FL2 still has it to look forward to!

just my £0.02 worth Smile
2007 B150 Horizon Blue

The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #14863016th Apr 2007 3:26 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I love my D3 to bits, and the thought of swapping it in for anything else seems like madness to me.

I spent a long time looking for a car that would give me all the flexibility of my old Landcruiser 4.2TD VX. I looked at Merc's and BMW estates but nothing gave me the people carrying facility. All the people carriers are vans and crap because of that very reason. So it left me with a 4X4. Could have gone for a Q7 but it looks rubbish and you need to be able to fold your legs up your &rse to get in the back. The Landcruiser is a 10 year old design and all the others are light years behind the D3.
What else is there?
Nuffin is anywhere close!
Stick with the D3, nothing else come close.
Thumbs Up
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #14863516th Apr 2007 3:44 pm
Doctor Diesel

You are quite right fishy, only the D3 has what I would call comfortable adult sized rear seats.....look at the new X5......only for folk with origami legs and similar nonsense abounds with the audi/merc etc ......GL merc though is good but in my case, money was a object !! Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
2007 B150 Horizon Blue

The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #14863716th Apr 2007 4:08 pm
d3matt

I completely agree Fisherman. I think the D3 is the most perfect vehicle. It does everything I want and even if I had £100,000 to spend on a car, I'd still get a D3 (and maybe something fast for the weekends).

Anyway, D3 costs a lot of money to own and run. When you don't have enough of this, then you have to look for something cheaper.
 Matt  
Post #14867016th Apr 2007 5:01 pm
fisherman

Wales 

Yeah I hear you Matt. Must be heartbreaking for ya mate.
Sorry to hear of your problems fella.
Hope things pick up for you very soon. Sad
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #14867616th Apr 2007 5:10 pm
paul

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It's my wife's D3 and with 4 kids under 5 we have talked about what if anything we could replace it with. We agreed that other than another D3 then there is nothing that will keep us going for years to come. When we go on holiday we have a 650Lt roofbox and a 7x4 trailer with 2 dogs in and more luggage plus soon to be 6 bikes!
What else is there that can do that and take the mother in law without the need to chew your own knees?
A long wheelbase D3 with an extra 1m would be better still so we have the luggage space with all 7 seats but that's about it.
My wife does 5k miles a year and we missed the new tax band by 2 months so still pay in band F Thumbs Up
If we replace it at 3 years it will have 15k on the clock and then we will swap it for another so what's the point?
There is nothing extra we want with the spec so I imagine that in 4 years or so we will buy another D3 for the wife and I'll keep the old one and run it into the ground as long as it lasts that is... Rolling Eyes

Regards Paul
 2006 TDV6 S Auto, Buckingham Blue, for the wife and kids.
2013 BMW 535d M sport touring. 

Post #14872516th Apr 2007 8:09 pm
d3matt

I completely agree Paul. The only other car that would compete with the D3 for practicality and comfort could possibly be the new Range Rover in 2012 (I think that is when it is coming out), but only if they make a 7 seat version - which I think they will have too.
 Matt  
Post #14883416th Apr 2007 10:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >