Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

On going problem with EGR's. Cannot seem to fix them
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
On going problem with EGR's. Cannot seem to fix them

Hi there, I have an on going issue and my independent mech has not been able to fix it.

Problem :- Start car, comes up to idle then instantly starts to miss fire and run in surges, Picks up then dies, picks up then dies. Lots of black smoke.

If I manage to keep the throttle at 1200 rev position after about 30 seconds it falls into limp mode then it can idle and drive, but with restricted performance.

To note the first couple of times it did this a switch engine off and restart cleared it for a few days, but gradually the time it was ok got less and less

Fault codes are for the egr see attached from my iid. My indy read the codes and on his machine he can distinguish that it is bank B. Forum searching says this is the left bank from sitting in the drivers seat.

I have had the egr valve replaced with a new one and for about a day all was ok, then with a warm engine suddenly it started to miss like mad and it was back to its tricks.

I got it back to the indy and his machine showed the same fault on bank B. He discovered though that there is an initialisation setting in his machine for installing a new egr valve. So he cleared the codes, did the initialisation and it solved the problem, he ran it and it even passed it mot so all must have been good.

I went to pick it up today and blow me down it has the same fault again, this time though it will idle, just, without needing to touch the accelerator. I am ruling out the new valve being a dud for now

So my thinking is that we should just change the right hand egr for good measure but its a big costly job again so I thought I would search out some help on here.

Is the left bank called bank B?
Could bank A affect the Bank B egr?
Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Could it be a software issue of some sort? Is there a linked sensor that could be triggering the fault.

For info I am not planning to just blank them as actually they do play quite a vital role especially if the engine has a run away and having experienced that on a manual D2 I dont want to compromise anything that could prevent that on an auto D4

Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂 

Last edited by charlietortoise on 12th Nov 2021 7:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #226183812th Nov 2021 7:21 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Throttle body issue not EGR, common enough problem.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #226184212th Nov 2021 7:52 pm
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Ok, I listening

Can you point me in any direction for info on this. A quick search of throttle body brings up a lot of topics. Thanks
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #226184512th Nov 2021 8:05 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Either the throttle body has a problem or there's a crack in the inlet manifold. You could try removing/cleaning/check movement of the TB and see if it helps. A smoke test on the manifolds should reveal a crack if it's not visible.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #226185012th Nov 2021 8:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >