Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

all going pete tong
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wp

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
all going pete tong

need help i have a disco 3 2005 model and took a fit yesterday and decided to give it a wee wash and a hoover bad mistake went into it this morning first thing parking brake fault warning came up then the amber light , have also noticed that the gear select display has stopped working like before it takes ages to display the gear and when it does you have stopped,when it has stopped the screen goes blank and know the reverse sensors have stopped working all this after a clean should have left it ,,,,have read in the forum that some say it sounds like the clutch just dont understand how they are all linked has any one got any ideas need to keep away from dealers or should i say robbers

Post #7690291st Mar 2011 8:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Did you pressure wash in the engine bay by any chance??

Post #7690321st Mar 2011 8:20 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

XY sensor needs calibrating

look near the bottom of this post for some instructions

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic46472.html
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #7690411st Mar 2011 8:25 pm
wp

first i would like to appologize for the size of the writing you could see it from the moon,anyway got the info to reset xy or is it yx i will give it a go tomorrow and post my results but thanks a lot for advise the only way to bet them is to better them eh

Post #7690881st Mar 2011 9:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wp

well what can i say had a problem posted on this forum within 10 minutes had a response got info of wiggs Bow down after spending the night trying to confince the wife we needed a new clutch , went out this morning with my print out of how to reset the xy or the yx and after first attempted all sorted spot on boys keep up the good work

Post #7693192nd Mar 2011 11:32 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi wp,
Be aware that "clutch slip" is one reason for the xy sensor to go out of calibration. You may not be out of the woods yet.

Best of Luck,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #7696653rd Mar 2011 1:29 am
wp

cheers pete for your response pal but seems ok just now so hears hoping eh Thumbs Up

Post #7701534th Mar 2011 9:10 am
peter

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Same thing happened to me with 1 year old D3 at 30K kms - Needed new clutch - first replacement clutch in 40 years of driving. LR blamed my driving - I don't tow or go off road. Use low ratio very infrequently - I took LR to small claims court in Dublin. Won cost of new clutch and labour. :)
It has happened again today - yellow brake light stays on and gear indication is very slow - dealer says new clutch needed having done only 80K kms in the meantime. I will be going down to the court again I guess. I suspect the clutch plate material is not man enough for the job.
I cannot believe that a vehicle of this calibre needs 3 clutches in 111K kms ( less than 70K miles) Push LR in a small claims court - they'll squirm and wriggle but your case must rest on reasonable expectation of LR's claims of ruggedness and reliability - warranty of no warranty.

Post #7702624th Mar 2011 2:07 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

When you had the new clutch fitted did they do the flywheel at the same time? There is a "known problem" with most vehicles fitted with dual mass flywheels - when the clutch fails due to slipping it overheats the flywheel which destroys itself.
I've not heard if anyone has fitted a TDV6 with a non-dual mass flywheel, or if its even possible to do so....
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #7703764th Mar 2011 5:08 pm
peter

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

They fitted a new flywheel, clutch kit and the sensor ( which I guess is the XY sensor ) last time - the clutch had really got bad by the time they could book it in - this time the brake light came on about 400 kms ago and there was no apparent clutch slip - they say they tried to reset the XY switch but it was only going to be a temporary fix.I had Audi and Passats and Fords over the years, some of which did 150K miles and never did I change a clutch. I must admit whilst I love the D3 I am getting disenchanted with the crap engineering

Post #7704414th Mar 2011 6:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >