Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Here we go again.......Brakes applied by the gremlin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rhewj

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3
Here we go again.......Brakes applied by the gremlin

This has happened to me 2 times before at approx every 6 or so thousand miles.
This is the way it happens. I'm driving along at about 70 or 80 mph when very slowly I start to feel fibration from the rear and it gets progressively worse as I drive on say about another 1/4 mile or so and by then the vibration is so that it makes you think that you have a flat or even worse. Its so bad that when you talk you transpose the vibration to the sound of your voice. So then I do the smart thing and pull over to the side of the hwy and this time since this has happened 2 times before I say to myself.. self lets slow down and put Blackie in N to see if he will coast and when I do this he does just that he rolls along at about 3 or so mph so this tells me the brake is not being applied. Because this has happened before my gut tells me this is a braking problem.
So then I start to speed up and yea he starts to vibrate again and as I excell more it gets worse...two CH47 helocopters in the back seat. So this time I come to a complete stop and just like 2 other times before after a minute siting (Not turning off the Rover) all is well and I drive home with no problem at all. But I did get out of the Rover this time and have a look in the rear before I drove on and found the brakes giving off a strong odor of smoking and might I say a mean odor of smoke smell. (Brake smoke smell) So as I speed up my Rover is for some reason telling the brakes to actuate and this is very bad....bad blackie...bad blackie. Can anyone help with what this might be and what I should say to the dealer when he goes in for the next service in about a week. Shocked Shocked Shocked
 2002 Vienna Green Disco II = Hers
2005 LR3 SE Java Black = His 

Post #1375809th Mar 2007 7:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

This happened to me not long after I bought my car, started to vibrate badly at 70mph, slowed down and vibration went away but when I speeded up vibration worse than ever. Pulled over and smoke coming from rear wheel on drivers side (Right hand drive), also the wheel was very hot. Called assistance, who came out and diagnosed that the parking brake had not released fully. Car was taken to my dealers who I believe adjusted the park brake and replaced the brake shoes. They had the car for a few days, since then I have not had this problem again.
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #1375829th Mar 2007 8:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rhewj

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Thanks Woody179. I will have the dealer do a good check.
 2002 Vienna Green Disco II = Hers
2005 LR3 SE Java Black = His 

Post #1375839th Mar 2007 8:07 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Maybe slightly Off Topic but yesterday went out on my mountain bike [Avid Hydraulic brakes].
At first noticed a light squeek coming from the rear brake.
Progressively, two hours later [in the wilderness] my rear brake had almost bound solid to the disc.
I rekon, because of the initial [slight] contact; the brake pads had started to heat up and expand, eventually locking my rear wheel. I had to remove a brake pad and ride to base without using my rear brake.

Moral: If you serious Mountain Bike: don't buy Avid Juicy 5 brakes - they're absolute cr*p.
I'm going back to good old Hope [M4's this time].
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #1375969th Mar 2007 8:44 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Ah, my Prophet 3000SL has XTR and they rock. Razz
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1376099th Mar 2007 9:18 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

NoDo$h wrote:
Ah, my Prophet 3000SL has XTR and they rock. Razz

respect; good old 'dales & XTR brakes
[but XTR cranksets are also cr*p]
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #1376279th Mar 2007 11:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >