Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

GM.TV Ban Gas Guzzler vote
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
couplands

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
GM.TV Ban Gas Guzzler vote

Not sure if this has appeared here before, but GM.TV are running a vote asking if Gas Guzzler's should be banned. Currently the vote is in favour of NO.

If you want to vote I think this link would take you there http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=25073

If not, go to the www.gm.tv web site and find the poll from there.

cheers

simon

Post #14119921st Mar 2007 9:04 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes is winning......

Here's my twopenneth e-mailed in to them:-

Why target the modern cars with high emmissions, but low in other pollutants and those made during the manufacturing processes. Surely older vehicles with MOT rated high emmissions should also be taxed if this is truely a 'Green' Tax. The Government may say that it would be too costly to manage, but they have all the information in VOSA to manage this easily and simply. Taxi drivers with (generally) older much higher polluting vehicles are totally exempt from this increase. Where are the measures for the Lorries and the bus/travel companies, where car emissions equate to only a very very small percentage of the overall emmissions produced. Attacking individuals in this way means that the focus is taken away from the real polluters who seem to be able to 'Carbon Trade' their way out of trouble. Why is there a market for Carbon Trading? countries and airlines and power companies should be measured on their true emissions, not by how much extra profit they make to spend on buying 'carbon' capacity which incorrectly states their true impact.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #14120721st Mar 2007 9:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davesimmons

Canada 

That lot are fecking retards, they all should be sterilized, infact it would be worth while driving some one elses Disco through that poxy studio and over those two tossers. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Big Cry

Post #14122121st Mar 2007 10:50 am
davesimmons

Canada 

Milestone

and on that note it was my 200th post!!!!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post #14122221st Mar 2007 10:52 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Milestone Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #14122321st Mar 2007 10:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davesimmons

Canada 

Cheers Bodsy, looks like I'm long way behind you

Thumbs Up

Post #14122521st Mar 2007 10:58 am
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes is still winning.
Have just sent them this...

What is it with the media obsession with 4X4s?
Don't say it's in the public interest because it isn't. Other high poluting vehicles don't get scratched by vandals, (or should I say environmental terrorists) that get hyped up by this anti 4X4 frenzy. There are many more high polluters than my vehicle. What about all the empty busses running about all day long (they were full before de-regulation), or the empty lorries travelling up and down the motorways (you know they are empty because when they park up they open the rear doors to show it's empty). And what about people who drive at or over the speed limit? The faster you go the more you pollute. And the factories? Don't forget the CO2 that the oceans produce. (how is Gordon going to tax the sea)
As if this really has anything to do with global warming. This is all yet another scare-mongering fad. Whilst all this rubbish is in the news it is keeping some other more worthwhile cause out of the public eye. Did you see comic Relief last Friday? It's unbelievable in this world, that a country such as ours has become so comfortable and self righteous that we have become a nation of serial petty-minded and self obsessed whingers that real attrocities such as this can happen. But because it is not seen to directly affect us we do nothing about it. It's much easier to have a go at the (supposedly) high polluting vehicles after being fed mainly incorrect information by the media.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
 Back in the game!  
Post #14122721st Mar 2007 11:09 am
Very Annoyed

England 

Nick Farrari on LBC has been tackling green callers today who said that 4x4's should be banned. Completely won the argument against these people whose position changed thoughout the conversation, so much so that the only people who shouldn't have a 4x4 are one legged lesbians. Well done Nick Ferrari! Thumbs Up
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #14122821st Mar 2007 11:10 am
davesimmons

Canada 

Can't we get him on Radio 2, instead of the the Jeremy Whine show, so as to add some balance Thumbs Up

Post #14122921st Mar 2007 11:14 am
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I agree with Discodad entirely - it seems to me the government wants to shut down the last few car makers there is in the UK & send them off to china....where they can pollute as much as they like.

'so much so that the only people who shouldn't have a 4x4 are one legged lesbians.'
I am a one legged heterosexual male, so its OK for me to have a 4x4 ? (no I am not joking Shocked )
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #14123221st Mar 2007 11:30 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm sorry but I voted yes.

I don't drive a gas guzzler Rolling Eyes

Gas guzzlers are those vehicles that have high fuel consumption. The TDV6 is not a gas guzzler, in fact its more efficient (even more so when you factor in the size and weight of the D3) than many saloons, hot hatches, estates, sports cars etc.

The government taxes the vehicle based on CO2 emissions not fuel efficiency.

The media have defined 'the gas guzzler' as the 4x4 and I'm afraid the viewing public of a program like GMTV are mostly lead by the media by their nose rings like cattle.

The whole idea behind GMTV running a vote on a subject they promote as 'in the public interest' is revenue generation. Take a look at their web site. Its geared around you all spending money with them... not promoting any sort of intelligent debate on this or any other subject.

On Topic again.... personally I would love to see the phasing out of high performance SUV's powered by sub 15MPG engines - they are pointless. As pointless as the (agreeably sensational and stunning) Veyron, or Lamo etc.

Sorry, but these debates are rather pointless unless both sides argue sensibly and look forward and not backwards at stereotypical clap trap developed by the media in order to increase ratings and sales revenues.

Post #14123721st Mar 2007 11:41 am
DickyH

You voted yes? Shocked
Well, that should help the cause then... Rolling Eyes

Post #14125821st Mar 2007 12:22 pm
simon

What cause ?

Your voting for nothing Thud and pandering to their hype.

If you drive a gas guzzler and like to then vote NO.

I don't drive a gas guzzler, so I voted YES as they are pointless.

Post #14126121st Mar 2007 12:28 pm
Phat Naquer

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think you'd lose an argument on whether the D3 is a gas-guzzler or not. Any new diesel vehicle doing less that 40 m.p.g. or new petrol vehicle doing less than 30 m.p.g. is very much in the minority these days. Yes, it's the weight and the 'brick like' aerodynamics that are to blame but the majority of us seem to be getting mid 20's in normal usage and the V8 D3s will be even worse.

The point, for us, is that this is a significant improvement over older models and I, for one, feel that using a modern 4x4 rather than an older one is a contribution to reducing environmental impact. As someone else said, if I'm really that worried about the vehicle tax I'll get a low emission car, but like most of us, I'm guessing, we have D3s because we can afford them and the tax is relatively insignificant in the cost of running the beast.

Just MHO.

Simon

Post #14129221st Mar 2007 1:44 pm
simon

There are other reasons to own a D3 (apart from off road work and the design etc etc).

For me these are :

Space inside - hate being cramped, we go camping, take bikes, do family picnics etc
Number of seats - we do use 7 a lot
Occupant safety - I love my family and some of my passengers Wink
Will cope will nearly any road surface and weather conditions - I can get home
On the motorway I feel far safer than if I was in a small premium hatch back - too many badly driven lorries around these days

I could go on.

If I have to pay extra tax - and £400 (if this is what it is to be) is not the end of the world and would not put me off buying a new one.

The government will do what they want with no input or change of track coming from public pressure. Once they have committed publicly they will continue with whatever they are doing.

Just look at Iraq. The government have not got balls big enough to admit they made a mistake. They won't on vehicle taxes. Self justification and avoidance of public debate are their best weapons against us... and they seem to mange to win every-time. Funny that.

Even Red Ken manages to go about his lunatic Mayoral role with no defection. If he can get away with it, imgaine how easy it is for the Bliar Herd.

Post #14130321st Mar 2007 2:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >