Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

I give up - no more - landline phone finally unplugged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
James W

United Kingdom 
I give up - no more - landline phone finally unplugged

The number of nuisance calls coming from India and Taiwan is just spiralling out of control - seems to be since Christmas time, rising to about 10 or 12 a day, from 7am onwards. I've tried all the useless "callsafe" functions on TalkTalk, allowing registered number only etc. but none of it works at all (unsurprisingly). I can't think of the last time I actually used the landline, and nobody I actually want to speak to would call me on it, so that's it - unplugged. Gone. I'm going to pack away the various cordless handsets and have done with it.

OFCOM need to get a grip on this problem - the providers should be screening far more of this stuff out. It should be an easy and free option to block international calls if you want to. My mobile phone crowd-sources intel from millions of other users to block spam calls easily and effortlessly. It's not rocket science.

I know you are supposed to have a landline for emergency calls, I think I'll get a hard wired phone for the hallway and snip the ringer on it

I am ashamed at some of the stuff I've said to the foreign callers Censored
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #22073492nd Feb 2021 10:23 am
D1SCD

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

How do they get hold of your number ? I must admit, I hardly ever use my landline, but as far as nuisance calls go, I probably get one every six weeks or so.

Maybe I'm just lucky Confused

Post #22073562nd Feb 2021 10:33 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Got rid off my landline back 2017. Too many nuisance calls and everyone I knew called me on the mobile. Haven't missed not having the landline.

Post #22073572nd Feb 2021 10:35 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Changed to mobiles only after getting back from travelling in March, never looked back. Data via SMARTY 4g which has been brill. It’s da future I tell ya. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

If anyone wants a code for a month of free SMARTY unlimited data bung me a PM. Whistle Whistle

Post #22073612nd Feb 2021 10:38 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I too have no landline but do have VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) which, for a reasonable subscription, gives me free calls to most of the civilised world - important as I have four close family members & many friends in North America and Australia.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #22073622nd Feb 2021 10:44 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Very rarely get nuisance calls at home, or on my mobile for that matter. We've always been ex-directory, although I'm not sure that makes any difference these days.
I did start getting a few calls at home when the Charity Commission published my home number, as a trustee you have to give a number. I've fixed that now though.

I'm not sure about giving up the land line. It's ok until the mobile system fails, or the internet fails. I keep an old push button phone to plug into the socket in case the power is off!
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #22073632nd Feb 2021 10:45 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I get very few nuisance calls, most seem to be fake Amazon calls. However, I am going to lose the land line phones and just stick with mobiles. We'll keep a land line for Internet only.

It is the way forward. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #22073652nd Feb 2021 10:47 am
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

D1SCD wrote:
How do they get hold of your number ?

They use an auto dialler - it dials the STD code then generates calls from say 000000 - 999999 in sequence then presents the call to the "agent" when it rings or you speak.

If you pick up and speak some "know" you are a person so if I do pick up I never say anything and wait for them to say something - usually "Hello?" if it's a genuine caller, else they hang up.

I did port my number from BT to a SIP provider a few years ago and as I generally never answer, I get an email with the messages left. If it is less than a few seconds I condider it is spam so I delete it. If it is longer I listen to it and decide if I want to call back Wink

They use SIP not a fixed line so can spoof their CLI to whatever they want currently and do it from anywhere, anytime so hard to stop as they just move on and/or change their CLI after you block it, then start at 0 again Censored
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #22073682nd Feb 2021 10:58 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

We can't rely on mobile for phones as the village appears to be the land that time forgot so far as mobile signal is concerned. Get 4G in the fields around the village but almost no signal in the house or in much of the village itself. I can use wifi-calling on my mobile and we will, I think, move to Gigaclear for fibre broadband in the near future (currently with BT on FTTC). At that point we might dump the land line. Having said that, we don't get much in the way of nuisance calls with just the occasional fake Amazon Prime recorded message scam.

I hope I haven't tempted the fates! Shocked
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22073722nd Feb 2021 11:10 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Moo wrote:-

Quote:
We'll keep a land line for Internet only. It is the way forward

You need to keep the copper line, if you haven't got fibre, but you can still ditch the telephone. You will pay something for the copper pair for internet access probably about £10 per month, as against c. £20 per month for an unused BT telephone line.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #22073732nd Feb 2021 11:18 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

RATA1 wrote:

They use SIP not a fixed line so can spoof their CLI to whatever they want currently and do it from anywhere, anytime so hard to stop as they just move on and/or change their CLI after you block it, then start at 0 again Censored

Yup, and their spoofing is managing to replicate "real" mobile numbers rather effectively.

I've had a number of calls where someone has hit call-back on a missed call notionally from my number, but it's not been from me. One lady manning an out-of-hours emergency social care number wouldn't accept that it wasn't me that dialled her and berated me for "hoax calling" and tying up valuable services. I gently pointed out the irony of her persisting in ignoring my explanation of number spoofing and tying up services by yelling at me. Spent another couple of minutes being her "agony ear" as she'd clearly had a bloody tough shift.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no. 

Last edited by NoDo$h on 2nd Feb 2021 11:43 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22073762nd Feb 2021 11:27 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I'm seriously thinking about doing this and dumping TalkTalk in the process.

The only issue is I will never be able to stop my dad and SWMBO's dad calling the landline number ... they both randomly swap mobile/landline when calling us.

Is there a way of redirecting a landline number to a mobile then cease the landline ?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #22073792nd Feb 2021 11:41 am
Ivan

United Kingdom 

^^^ Same as Hardware, can't stop the in laws from calling the landline. Also the NHS! Despite having mobile numbers they insist on calling the landline.
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #22073802nd Feb 2021 11:44 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

mobile only since 1989
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #22073822nd Feb 2021 11:57 am
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

^^ this is my provider for VOIP and they have a forwarding feature.

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/

I just use my landland number now as a voicemail service and any messages come to me in an email but as the years go by less and less need for my £2.40 month subscription Thumbs Up
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #22073832nd Feb 2021 11:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >