DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

Getting muddy near Reading
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Michaelr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Getting muddy near Reading

Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post so just wanted to say hi first of all. It seems like a great forum, very positive, friendly and helpful.

I'm also new to the Disco too having wanted one for years but had to settle for Freelanders in the past (owned 2 of them over the years).

I am now very pleased to own a Discovery 3 and am keen to get out and give it a try in the mud. Nothing too serious as I don't want to break anything or damage it, since it is also my car which I use for work and I am also a complete novice!

I have been trying to work out which routes I am allowed to drive along, but am worried firstly that I might go down a track I am not permitted to use, and secondly that I might get stuck! I also thought it might be more fun to go with someone else! Very Happy

So, if anyone is local to me in the Wokingham/Reading area and fancies splashing in a few muddy puddles, please give me a shout!

In the meantime, wishing you all the best for 2014.

Cheers,

Michael

Ps I haven't worked out how to do the signature thing yet but it seems customary to detail what you're driving, so here's mine:

2007 Black Discovery 3 HSE TDV6

Post #120898729th Dec 2013 9:38 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the mad house, we all are as we all seem to spend our hard earned cash on these lovely cars Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #120898829th Dec 2013 9:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

There is a track not far from you, nothing too challenging. Just off Bearwood Lane at the Wokingham end. Goes down past an Organic farm shop and at the bottom there is a muddy stream crossing.

I used to live in Sindlesham and go through in my Classic Rangie. My mate it taking his 101 there tomorrow.

The other place worth a look but you may want to wait till the water dies down is the foord at Eversley.

Post #120900529th Dec 2013 10:14 pm
Michaelr

Hi guys many thanks for the replies.

Yes I know that trail off Bearwood Road, Coombes Lane, sometimes go biking round there. Haven't been brave enough to venture down it in the Discovery yet in case I get stuck! Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated. I wasn't 100% sure if it was still open for 4x4s as so many byways seem to have been closed, so it's good to know your mate is still using it. If he ever fancies a Disco tag along tell him to give me a shout Smile

Also thanks for the Eversley suggestion, I don't know that one so I will check it out, although as you say I might be best waiting a bit, considering the rain we have recently had. Otherwise I might be floating off down stream!

I had a little drive round Arborfield and Farley Hill, looks like there are some good lanes there but again probably won't tackle them on my own.

Cheers guys.

Michael

Post #120903929th Dec 2013 11:01 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Don't attempt the ford at Eversley, it has history.
The one at Twyford is safer but even that's a bit slippery as the book in the pub shows.
Suffice to say, don't go anywhere near either if them at the moment, the river is up at least 4ft.
The three local crossings over the Lodden were all closed over Christmas due to flooding.
You're more than welcome to pop round mind for a cuppa, RG2
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #120908529th Dec 2013 11:58 pm
matteustace

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Are there ever any coordinated green-laning events anywhere near Reading? My Disco 3 doesn't have enough mud on it either!

Post #12103281st Jan 2014 11:29 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Sometimes Razz
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #12103512nd Jan 2014 12:09 am
z4cAtS

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

There are plenty of lanes further west around Newbury. I have just spent a couple of days over the break checking some out in my Series 1 (V8 Very Happy )

Use
http://ww2.westberks.gov.uk/InternetMappin...;opencat=1 to help find them. If you zoom in enough you can see the lane numbering.

Some are quite/very scratchy with no passing places so please walk them first, also some are currently posted with a 'refrain from using' notice.

Avoid EILS1/4 south-west of East Ilsley, flipping tight / nasty for a 90 let alone a D3.

HTH, Paul
 (Remap, EGRs Blanked,Silicon I/C hose) from BAS, (Torque Convertor, Compressor, FL Wishbones, Alternator) by WD, Belts by Newbury4x4, Megaflush+extra cooler by GRGB, Diff+Transfer oils, ARB Bushes, Fuel filter, Fixed Towbar, Remote FBH.

The 'z' is silent 

Post #12106892nd Jan 2014 8:14 pm
lake_District

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, I live in RG7, and once the weather improves looking to get out and about locally, and always good to go with others.

Bought a LR mag the other day, and there were some details of routes near Newbury going into Wiltshire.

We don't sound that far apart, so perhaps we should plan something for when water levels go down.

Did my first green lane in the Lakes in August with two others, great fun, haven't washed the car since lol

Ed

Post #12109453rd Jan 2014 9:33 am
Michaelr

Hi everyone
Just happened to check back and found a load more replies! Guess I didn't check the "email when someone replies" box. Oh well!

Anyway, yes I'd definitely be up for meeting for a ride out. I'm RG41 (Wokingham). My office is in Newbury so that's equally convenient for me, be good to try some lanes close by and a bit further afield.

I went down Coombes Lane in Wokingham on my bike the other day, very muddy but loads of vehicle tracks so I think it is well used. I may give it a go in the Disco sometime. If anyone wants to join me, give me a shout. Seems quite easy so good for me as a beginner.

Give me a shout bigcarpchaser and I will take you up on that cuppa! Smile

Cheers,

Michael

Post #12123025th Jan 2014 8:02 pm
Spiked

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

Hi I'm in Newbury and would be up for some local laning Very Happy

Post #123490611th Feb 2014 5:12 pm
focus340

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I've recently moved to Aldershot and am game for almost anything...I also have a friend that has a Jeep Grand Cherokee (don't laugh) that is surprisingly capable.

Post #125352815th Mar 2014 5:50 pm
persil

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Hi everyone,

I'm also in Reading and looking for some lanes to go along with like mined people. I've only done one and a couple of fords in my current Discovery when I was in the lakes last year.

Would like to get the tyres muddy again!

Post #12794224th May 2014 7:34 pm
swoodley

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I would be up for getting a bit muddy.. Although not just yet as I spent all Sunday cleaning it. Laughing

Post #12802916th May 2014 7:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >