Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Gearbox Oil Fumes in Cabin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
orangeboom

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Gearbox Oil Fumes in Cabin

Have now covered almost 3000 miles in a MY12 D4 a lot of which have been at motorway cruising speeds. Two things that I have noticed is how hot the aluminium bezel becomes around the gear selector dial, almost like a little radiator, and also the smell of gearbox oil entering the cabin when stationary after a long run.
The fumes seem to come in via the air vents and become worse when reversing which would make sense as when moving backwards air would be drawn over the gearbox and into the intake. Definitely gearbox oil as it has a very distinctive smell.
I have had 3 D3's and a D4 prior to this one with no similar problem so wondering if it is something to do with where the breather is positioned on the 8 speed box. It is definitely not the FBH as not a diesel fume smell - has anybody experienced the same thing?

Post #87501624th Dec 2011 1:23 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Not sure if it is the same gearbox, but one of the guys had a Jaguar XF with the gearbox selecting knob and he had a lot of issues with it getting very hot. It actually locked up a few times and he couldn't get it into gear, the only cure was to switch off and wait a while.

It was a know problem, he ended up selling it and getting a Merc.

Sorry it's not much help, but it sounds similar.

Post #87504324th Dec 2011 9:07 am
orangeboom

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks for the information.

I think it is the same design, generally I don't think it is an improvement and am getting a bit fed up with having to wait for the thing to appear before being able to set off !

Post #87579727th Dec 2011 4:55 pm
bobgolden

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I had the MY09 XF before swapping to the MY11 D4. I never really noticed that the selector got warm although the handbrake switch did (but not uncomfortable). The biggest problem I had was switching back out of sport mode. For those not familiar with the rotary selector, you have to press down to switch from D to S but just dial left to go back to D. Like a muppet, I once got caught trying to do a swift 3-point turn and was pressing down while in S mode - bloody thing refused to move of course !! I also had the early selector jamming problem that required a whole lower console removal and selector swap out on my drive. The JLR assistane guy was great - he had the part (which were as rare as hen's teeth) and did the job in about an hour.
 2010 MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip

Gone BMW X5 xDrive 30d M Sport (F15)
Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6
Gone 2008 Jaguar XF 2.7TD Premium Luxury 

Post #8804568th Jan 2012 2:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >